R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default New to on-road!! Quick Questions!!

Ok guys I have been into RCs for a while, drifting and ofroad. My local track is re-openning their on-road track. I really want to give on-road a change but do not want to spend a lot of money to see if I like it. I have an HPI Sprint 2 chassis from when I used to drift. I can throw some of my off-road electronics and give it a shot. I just want to know If I will even have a chance with the HPI sprint? I dont want to be in the top 5, but I dont want to look stupid either. Basically my question is, can I some what compete with an HPI sprint 2 with some practice and the right settings, before I spent some more money on a new kit?
lnc0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

of course.

just give it a basic onroad setup, some good onroad tires, and make sure the car isnt dirty and leaving crap all over the carpet.

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn View Post
of course.

just give it a basic onroad setup, some good onroad tires, and make sure the car isnt dirty and leaving crap all over the carpet.
Awesome man!! Thanks. Is not carpet, it's concrete. Does it make a difference?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to justin w

u will be fine driver is biggest part anyway, go to the fast guys and ask questions tires , etc then loosen rear diff up lock the front and tune from there depending on track temps i would go with sorex tires they offer many diiferent compounds according to the track temp.
justin w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w View Post
u will be fine driver is biggest part anyway, go to the fast guys and ask questions tires , etc then loosen rear diff up lock the front and tune from there depending on track temps i would go with sorex tires they offer many diiferent compounds according to the track temp.

Cliff Lett once said that having the right tire amonts to about 75% of your setup. So long as you have a basic setup and the right tires, you'll do fine. On average out here in So Cal, Sorex 36 work most of the time but last week where the temps dipped into the 50s, I used Sorex 32s. Not sure what its like out where your at but that should give you a good idea where to start.

BTW, getting the softest tire is not a good strategy either. Getting a low temperature rated tire does not mean it will work better if the temps get hotter than its intended temperature range. These tires will overheat. When the tires over heat, they'll slide all over the place.

I made that mistake one day when the temps were low in the morning and used a lower temp rating tire which worked great in practice. Left them on the car and just before the first qual. the sun came and the track temp increased significantly such that I struggled just to keep the car on the track.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tires, tires and tires, this is the bulk of what you need to know, as for your setup, most drift cars have locked rear diffs and very upright and hard suspension, this helps to break traction and hold the drift, for TC on road you want the opposite, softer suspension that is angled some, a loose rear diff and and fairly tight front diff, also not much if any toe out on the front and much less camber than you might be used to running, 1 or 2 deg instead of 5 deg of front camber. That should be a good ball park start, once there you can start to fine tune to what the car is actually doing on the track and finally one last piece of advice, and this is the most important.

HAVE FUN!
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:53 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Inc0321, I like your approach, setup knowledge and driving skills goes a long way
Old 11-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnc0321 View Post
Ok guys I have been into RCs for a while, drifting and ofroad. My local track is re-openning their on-road track. I really want to give on-road a change but do not want to spend a lot of money to see if I like it. I have an HPI Sprint 2 chassis from when I used to drift. I can throw some of my off-road electronics and give it a shot. I just want to know If I will even have a chance with the HPI sprint? I dont want to be in the top 5, but I dont want to look stupid either. Basically my question is, can I some what compete with an HPI sprint 2 with some practice and the right settings, before I spent some more money on a new kit?
What class are you planning to run? To keep costs down try a VTA class to start out with. Spec tires motors and speed controls so you can't go crazy on the options It keeps the competition up and you don't have to worry about having 10 sets of tires just in case track conditions change. It will also teach you how to set up your car for different conditions.

I have seen the sprint 2 race this class and it is just as capable as any other car to win. It all comes down to setup and driver not the money

Many guys at our track have started vta and moved up to usgt and tc. Not saying you can't jump straight to tc but vta is a great way to try it out before you invest a lot.
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Awesome guys!!! Thank you so much!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
Tech Adept

using the right tires makes a lot of difference, I usually use Sorex 32 or 28, depends on weather
yumlailai is offline   Reply With Quote