R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TC6.1 vs Xray T3 2012

I am a newb, looking to make my first TC purchase. Can someone point out the pros and cons of each kit? Ease of driving, durability, and tuning will be a plus since I have no onroad expeiriance. I already did some research but looking for your input. Narrowed it down to these two kits. I know the TC6.1 has not been released yet. Thanks.

Last edited by TedBull; 11-23-2011 at 10:16 PM.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Tech Adept

My advice, for a newb, is to make sure you understand that a expert/pro level car, takes experience to set up. (correctly)
Most drivers that do not have the necessary experience to set up a complex chassis, will have more frustration, then enjoyment.
Minute setting adjustments, if they are off on a typical plastic chassis car, won't effect the overall handling much, but on a carbon fiber chassis car, small adjustments have a huge effect on handling. If your set up or chassis tweak is off just a hair, the car will be a handful to drive.
I know this from personal experience, and also, I see it all the time when other drivers "move up" to more complex cars, and they handle worse than the car it replaced.
If your mechanical skills are good, and you take the time to learn proper set up, and buy the required tools (alignment station, tweak board, etc) and get some help from experienced racers/tuners, then you'd be fine with any car. Or, if your willing to learn as you go, but don't expect a car to handle perfectly, with out a perfect set up.
Equate to bowling for example.....I could go buy the best Pro Level ball available, but If my form and technique is wrong, it will still go in the gutter.
red7fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would go with the T3-12. The car is unreal out of the box, parts are the most durable, easy build with no issues and a very large setup window. Depending on your budget, the X-ray is going to set you back some more than the TC6 but I think it is well worth it. I do not know too too much about associated's TC6 but I do know they make a quality product. I have seen a few issues with the car on the thread but do not think it was major. I would think your biggest issue would be part support at your local hobby shop and budget. If you are just getting into the hobby you will need part support. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBull View Post
I am a newb, looking to make my first TC purchase. Can someone point out the pros and cons of each kit? Ease of driving, durability, and tuning will be a plus since I have no onroad expeiriance. I already did some research but looking for your input. Narrowed it down to these two kits. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

This question gets asked alot this car vs that and being new to it all the top line cars are very close. the tcx,417,t3 11 or 12, tc6 or .1. all are very good cars and if you look at top races they all are in the amain.

Go with whats local ran in your area makes it alot easier to get setup tips and parts.

I was going buy a t3 11 or t3 12 but after seeing that the new tc6.1 has a rear gear diff and front spool and a new roll bar setup personaly i plan on going with the tc6.1 ill probably be one of only a few with out a xray there.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replys. Before I buy a chassis I am planning on doing a few race nights with a loaner car. The support at the local club sounds great. One of the local hobby shops is run by a Team associated driver so parts are availible. He also supplies parts for sale at the track and attends every race. Only reason that I opted for two of the premium chassis in the class is I have built vehicles in the past and tried to go the economic route only to upgrade shortly after and end up spending alot more than just going all out in the begining. I cant wait to get into it, looks like alot of fun. I will have to wait till the first of the year before I make a purchase.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

if youre talking about hangar30, XRAY or AE are both competitive, popular brands there.

I may be biased, but I've been happy with my xray cars, even if they cost a bit more upfront. What they say is true though, the t3 2012 kit setup is a nice start

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

It is difficult to answer, as the TC6.1 is not out yet and only team racers had one so far.
But if you have the local supply and setting up help, go for it, it will also cost less than XRay.
My TC6 is fab as it is.

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Buy both run them back to back and see what which one you like and then sell one
Old 11-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplantlife View Post
Buy both run them back to back and see what which one you like and then sell one
I wish I had that kind of cash.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

XRAY T3 2012 hands down ....let me put it too you this way .....i rushed to put this kit together ....reamed out the rear leg too much soo there was at least 3mm play in the rear rite leg ....i mixed up the dog bones...i put one rear and one front up front and did the same in the rear i also wasnt running a front sway bar and my shocks were outta wack i put 2 2hole pistons on one side and 2 3 hole pistons on the other side so all that being said ....the car still handled like a dream ......dont be fooled XRAY is king
theatriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
XRAY T3 2012 hands down ....let me put it too you this way .....i rushed to put this kit together ....reamed out the rear leg too much soo there was at least 3mm play in the rear rite leg ....i mixed up the dog bones...i put one rear and one front up front and did the same in the rear i also wasnt running a front sway bar and my shocks were outta wack i put 2 2hole pistons on one side and 2 3 hole pistons on the other side so all that being said ....the car still handled like a dream ......dont be fooled XRAY is king
Not exactly the best selling point
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Not exactly the best selling point
maybe u didnt understand what i said .....im the one who put it together wrong ....and it still handled like a dream ....so how is that not a good selling point lololol
Old 11-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'd love to see you try and post that setup sheet. LOL

May explain your belt issue coming off too.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
Imagine what you could do with a car that's been built correctly
Old 11-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
I'd love to see you try and post that setup sheet. LOL

May explain your belt issue coming off too.
lol ya i think i figured that out i was too excited for this kit and just jammed her together so fast because i wanted to run her ....anyways i magivered a robson racing spur gear onto the layshaft which inturn probably set the belt off couple mm which most likely was the cause