R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default 21.5 in a TC5 is slow

I've got a 21.5 in my daughters tc5 and this thing is sloooow, about the speed as someone doing a fast paced walk. It's the stock spur, not sure factory, and been playing with pinions, about 20-23 and it has a XBR speedo. I have the speedo set right from what I can tell. Whats going on here?
mcrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrotty View Post
I've got a 21.5 in my daughters tc5 and this thing is sloooow, about the speed as someone doing a fast paced walk. It's the stock spur, not sure factory, and been playing with pinions, about 20-23 and it has a XBR speedo. I have the speedo set right from what I can tell. Whats going on here?
sounds massively undergeared. You will need to figure out the spur size to accurate calculate the final drive though.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Victory Side

Quote:
I agree with Mike. Youre going to need a 45-50 tooth pinion it sounds like.
Victory Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Got to get it geared right..
I believe the stock spur is an 87. If you are running 48 pitch, you need to get down to something aroung 60 and a 34 pinion would get you to a 3.53 FDR which should be ballpark. It also depends on ESC and motor..

I actually got a couple of 52T spurs in the 48 Pitch. Ahouther option is to switch over to 64 pitch which gives you more room for the smaller gearing (Small spur/big pinion)

Check out
www.gearchart.com
Logi Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Yep, looking at the tc5 manual and it says it's a 87t spur. Man, I need to run that big of a pinion? The manual states a 22 is about a 7.91 ratio. Is it because it's a 21.5 motor that I need a large pinion. Still learning here. Thanks
Old 11-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Yep, looking at the tc5 manual and it says it's a 87t spur. Man, I need to run that big of a pinion? The manual states a 22 is about a 7.91 ratio. Is it because it's a 21.5 motor that I need a large pinion. Still learning here. Thanks
Check out that gear chart website, plug in the info and shoot for mid 3 FDR. Then I would suggest checking out robinson racing products and precision racing systems to see what spurs and pinions are out ther. I will go check out my TC5 which has a 21.5 and let you know what I have in there..
Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Logi, that would be great.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Of course I have it ripped apart.. I was at like 3.55 at Carpet Nats last year and was running 64 pitch.. I believe I was at 88/50. It kind of depends on the pinions you have.. if you are racing ask around and see what FDR people are running and I am sure it is mid 3s. There is also the fact of getting the gearing to fit in there like to get down there with an 87 spur you would have to run a 49 pinion which won"t physically fit in ther.. good luck with a great car!!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Tech Adept

well I guess it sounds like I just need to up my pinion. I was concerned about the motor being bad which doesn't sound like it now. New car, new/used motor, and new speedo to me. Just wasn't adding up.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

88/50 would be 3.52 in a TC5.
cherokee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
well I guess it sounds like I just need to up my pinion. I was concerned about the motor being bad which doesn't sound like it now. New car, new/used motor, and new speedo to me. Just wasn't adding up.
Up the pinion and down on the spur....
Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
not sure what motor you have, At carpet nats I ran a Novak 21.5 with timing set just a tick below max timing geared extremly low, well below the suggested 3.5 early and temps were good.

however if this is for your daughter maybe you don't want to max out timing and gearing.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
not sure what motor you have, At carpet nats I ran a Novak 21.5 with timing set just a tick below max timing geared extremly low, well below the suggested 3.5 early and temps were good.

however if this is for your daughter maybe you don't want to max out timing and gearing.
He got the Novak 21.5 SS from me. The motor should be fine. I got it to run in an F-1 car but decided to stay with a brushed system. Sorry I can't chime in with gearing options for your TC5 but it sounds like the guys who have posted so far got it covered. Hopefully - you can get the gearing figured out and your daughter can be up and running soon.
rice_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post

He forgot to mention he was TQ and if ROAR would have stuck to.what they had said, 2 full heats will run triple As, he would have been crowned national champ again, since he won A1... Go with what he said...
Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

You can get a 80t spur now from the TC6 that will fit.

Not sure what is your daughter level, but all the gearings mentionned so far here are to get the most out of your car and a 21.5t.

Maybe, if your batteries are not the "top" either, try a different gearing, so that she can handle the car, then move up when she gets better.

3.5fdr is about right for racing, maybe just run a 4fdr and CHECK CHECK the temperature of your motor after a couple of minutes, should reach around 50/60 degrees celsius.

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote