Wiki Posts
Search

Hauler bags

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Hauler bags

So I am in the market for a hauler bag. I thought I had a line on one but the seller is being...weird.

So far I am really confused. I have seen bags by Racers Edge, Team Magic, Team Epic, Protek, etc... They all seem to be the same bag but way different prices! How can this be? There must be some differences between them.

I was told that the racers edge is the bag to get and then the team magic one as well. Why? They look the same!

Amain has a hauler that is about 50 bucks cheaper thn the others...it looks the same! There has to be a difference but the product descriptions and pictures are very vaugue.

Which is the one to get? I want an 1/8th scale bag to hold my 3 cars. @ 10th scale and 14th scale. I'd like it to have a tool caddie on the top as well.

Right now I am using a rolling luggage/tool case that it very cumbersome and I'd rather use it for my tools!

Any detailed pics of the lids would help. i remember seeing a picture of a bag that not only had the tool staps in the top compartment, but on the top lid as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mera'din
So I am in the market for a hauler bag. I thought I had a line on one but the seller is being...weird.

So far I am really confused. I have seen bags by Racers Edge, Team Magic, Team Epic, Protek, etc... They all seem to be the same bag but way different prices! How can this be? There must be some differences between them.

I was told that the racers edge is the bag to get and then the team magic one as well. Why? They look the same!

Amain has a hauler that is about 50 bucks cheaper thn the others...it looks the same! There has to be a difference but the product descriptions and pictures are very vaugue.

Which is the one to get? I want an 1/8th scale bag to hold my 3 cars. @ 10th scale and 14th scale. I'd like it to have a tool caddie on the top as well.

Right now I am using a rolling luggage/tool case that it very cumbersome and I'd rather use it for my tools!

Any detailed pics of the lids would help. i remember seeing a picture of a bag that not only had the tool staps in the top compartment, but on the top lid as well.
I went to home depot and got a stantly tool box.....
Old 11-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

They may look the same, but are not made by the same companies. price is somewhat reflective of quality. I personally like the T10 size as it fits in the trunk of my car, the T8 does not. I have two T10 sized haulers and really like them. They have made a couple of trips to the birds with no issues.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How does the Hudy on-road roller bag stack up(#199120)? Aside from the price tag being inflated to Hudy proportions, the bag itself looks to be of great quality/size...
Old 11-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I do believe all the bags are made by the same manufacturing company in China. The difference is that US companies tell the Chinese manufacturing companies what materials to use, hence the price difference.

When it comes to these bags it is all in the details, some that you can not see from a picture. I spent a lot of time researching these bags a few months ago and here is what I found (I went with a Wingtote).

Some of these are from other racers experiences:

Hudy - never seen one up close, probably due to price. Also don't like that fact that it has boxes, not drawers.

Team Magic - medium quality materials, telescopic handle that extends from the top can bend if not carefull and overweighted, and never pick the bag up by the side handles only if you have about 40lbs in it! You will tear the handles right off. This use to be the best around, however there are better out now and it is almost impossible to order one in the US, they have been backordered for a year and might have discontinued them.

ProTech - almost identical to the Magic bag, not sure of the quality compared to others as I've never seen one in person, they have been doing running updates to the bag which is nice. Again the handle is the same as the Team Magic bag. Amain Service is usually pretty good though.

Racers Edge - good materials, heavier nylon fabric, but the tool area on top is severly lacking. The handle on top is better than the TM/Protech but the place for tools on top is only as big as the material needed to cover the handle. very minimal tool straps and lacking compared to all others. This is the reason I did not go with this bag, but the materials are great.

T10/T8 - People at the track have this one, I choose to look elsewhere becasue of their experiences. nuff said.

WingTote Pro Roller Buggy Tote - this is what I went with and here is why. The tool area on top is flat and holds the most tools. The handle is a luggage style handle that goes along the back of the hauler instead of from the top. The handle also 'clicks' to different postions, very nice. The wheels are large roller blade type wheels. The materials are great. The insides are supported by L-Brackets which keeps the bag from sagging. There is a bungie on the top to keep things secure if you want to do that. They also do running updates to their bags, from user input. One thing to be improved is having 2 handles on the bag, there is only 1 on the side now so you put it into your car by lifting the one handle and the top strap, not a big deal. BTW the straps are sewn onto double nylon and riveted as well .. to prevent tearing the handles out when lifting.

I ordered the Wingtote from Horizon and on arrival the bungie strap on top broke, manufacturer defect. The Wingtote carriers a 1 year warrenty against that sort of thing so I called Wingtote and their customer service was awesome, they offered to pay for the shipping and return shipping and had a brand new bag in 3 days. Talked to the guy for a while about the bag and possible improvements and he was very receptive to customer feedback. The bag is going strong after about 6 months of use and hardly shows any wear at all.

Hope that helps. I can post some pics of the tool area if you want.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Here is a pic of the tool area.

I usually place a full size towel across the tools then the setup board on top of that and close the lid. Tons of room.
Attached Thumbnails Hauler bags-img_0215.jpg  
Old 11-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a T10 I no longer use not because it's torn or broken but it doesn't fit in my trunk. My biggest gripe was the bottom two drawers would not close if not lined up just right and the drawer shelf between the large drawers would sag blocking the lower one.

Now I use my old Salomon ski duffle which holds all my tools, tires, 3 cars, 3 chargers and power supply, shock oils, soldering station and pit towel. The only thing I can't fit in is my set-up board. Not only does it hold all that but is very well balanced and easily carried by the shoulder strap slung over one shoulder.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ByteStream

I usually place a full size towel across the tools then the setup board on top of that and close the lid. Tons of room.

That looks great. So there is no dedicated storage spot for a setup board? That kinda is a downer, but the rest makes up for it. Is the tool tray removable?

Do you think you could fit two 1/10th scale cars in it?

Last edited by Meradin; 11-22-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Does anyone have experience with the Hudy bag. I had the wingtote bag and it was the best!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

I've been looking around at the various hauler bags as well.

Don't forget to check out the drawer configuration. Some have 1 big and 4 small compartments. Some have 2 big and 2 small compartments. Some have 3 big compartments. Some the compartments come out the side, some the compartments come out the end. Size of top "tool" area varies as well. Setup board pouch may be a concern as well. A place to hang a transmitter bag is something else to look for.

For the compartments, 1 big and 4 small is fine if you are carrying one car and tools/chargers/etc, but doesn't really work if you want to carry 2 cars.

Another idea: Corroplast (looks like corrogated cardboard but make out of plastic) can be obtained from sign shops pretty easily/cheaply, is pretty easy to work with - cuts with a razor knife -- and comes in a variety of colors. If the bag you like comes with cardboard drawers, consider taking a trip to the local sign shop and buying a sheet of corroplast. Unfold the cardboard, use it as a template and make your own.

I've been looking at a bag that associated makes that holds 2 cars. That, my current toolbox and a rolling storage box for the rest might end up being better than a hauler for me.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, I want to carry my VTA and my sedan and recoil. Right now I am using a tool box but it is a squeeze to get the two cars in it.

The recoil should fit with no trouble into the small drawer. The large drawer looks as if it might fit 2 cars but I cannot be sure. Might be tall enough that I can build a small shelf out of the same material (bro works at a sign shop) and fit the two cars in there.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ByteStream

I was going to get the Trinity T-10 because I had the T-8 and I just didnt like it, it didn't fit enough stuff for me to make up for its size, and it always leaned because of all the weight I kept in it. Inside is nothing but cardboard to support all the weight of the bag. but I have friends with the T10 and I was much more impressed with it..

Thanks for changing my mind
Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mera'din
That looks great. So there is no dedicated storage spot for a setup board? That kinda is a downer, but the rest makes up for it. Is the tool tray removable?

Do you think you could fit two 1/10th scale cars in it?
There is a side pocket .. about the size for a Xray Manual (legal size I think), but my Integy board won't fit it it, just a little to small. This is one of the updates I talked about with the owner.

The tool area is not a tray .. it has elastic straps for the tools .. it is not removeable. Some bags do have a small removeable tray but I personally didn't want that, opting for the more space for tools. The tray takes up tool space. You could just buy a replacement tray from another bag and just place it on top if you wanted.

I don't put my cars in the bag at all, I have way to much stuff, I do put my radio in the top drawer though. The top drawer is meant to fit a 1/8 scale buggy with tires and wing. So I think you could probably put 2 sedans in there with body. Check the measurements out on the company site. If a friend has a smiliar one, try to put your cars in it, as long as it is the same drawer configuration.

As your collection of stuff grows, you'll wish you got a 1/8 bag instead of a 1/10 scale one like the T10. Unless of course it just does not fit in your real car or whatever reason.

And BTW .. I think that Hudy bag is like $369 or something ridiculous.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LMRacing
I was going to get the Trinity T-10 because I had the T-8 and I just didnt like it, it didn't fit enough stuff for me to make up for its size, and it always leaned because of all the weight I kept in it. Inside is nothing but cardboard to support all the weight of the bag. but I have friends with the T10 and I was much more impressed with it..

Thanks for changing my mind
The Team Epic T8 is larger than the T10.

T8 = 1/8 scale
T10 = 1/10 sacle
Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

I have the integy setup board with the built-in tweak. I was just hoping not to have to take it out and put it back in whenever I needed a tool. Oh well. I think I may get this one. My luck I will order one and then they will update it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.