R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-10-2004, 02:57 AM   #16
Tech Rookie

Just wanna find out if anyone has their batteries cooked by the smart tray? I just put 1 side by side pack on it. Smoke appeared and there was some cracking sound. Immediately took it out and one of the cells was cooked. Tried with another pack and there was sparks the moment the cells come in contact with the smart tray connectors. I quickly removed it before any further damage. The polarity was correct as I double check it before connecting. All my cells and the smart tray was still working fine few days back. Really puzzling...
wildboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:17 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Mine did that same thing. I found out that I was putting it on wrong. You have to make sure the ends of the batter are facing down. So the + end of the batter should be on the lower right side and the - on the lower left hand side. You don't want to have then ends of the batter terminals face up. This will cause sparks and short out the pack.
Vue Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:33 AM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Those little white lines at the top and bottom of the Smart tray represent battery bars. If you put the battery bars where the battery bar lines are then you shouldn;t have a problem. I did the same thing when I first got mine. The possitive wire coming off your battery pack should always be on the far right facing down. Other than that It shouldn't spark and ark.
HTH (hope this helps)
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:49 AM   #19

All teh way to the left or the right or in the middle upside down are all depending on how you have the 4 cell packs soldered together.

Some people have packs reversed, or just a different assy patern.

But the Novak tray is one of the best purchases I have made in R/C next to my Futaba 3PK and LRP Comp Charger. Just a very solid product that does exactly what it is supposed to do very well.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:00 AM   #20
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
Those little white lines at the top and bottom of the Smart tray represent battery bars. If you put the battery bars where the battery bar lines are then you shouldn;t have a problem. I did the same thing when I first got mine. The possitive wire coming off your battery pack should always be on the far right facing down. Other than that It shouldn't spark and ark.
HTH (hope this helps)
Stephen <><
Tried again making sure the positive wire is on the far right facing down. Another set of batteries got fried again. Damn! It's my Fuku matched pack this time!

Guess I got to sent it back to Novak for servicing. Thanks for the help buddy!
wildboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:17 AM   #21

You know, maybe it's something about these trays.

Ive seen 3 people now dead short on these trays. They are ALL user error issues. NOTHING wrong with the trays.

Pretty much it all comes down to paying attention to what you are doing. Because its not the polarity thats blowing the cells, its the fact that people dont realize that the bars should be on one side or the other. I havent had any issues with mine, and everyone who has smoked a cell or two on a tray was able to use the tray just fine after they spent the time to realize how to put batteries into the trays correctly.

Take notice that the area that shows the lil bar line above the cell's or below the cells are bridged inside, so when you mount a set of cells with a bar at the opposite side of a bridged set of cells you instantly cause a dead short between them. = "Pop... Fizzz..."

They also started blaming Novak like you are for their mistakes until they realized what they did. Were not talking rocket science here.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:20 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Wow,

I haven't - nor has any of the guys at the track that I race at - had any problems with the smart-tray ... if you are installing the batteries correctly, maybe you have a faulty unit - I would check with Novak.

I do have a question about the Smart-Tray ... I remember someone telling me how to set it up to "Dead-Short" the batteries - does anyone know how to do this - I forgot the sequence.

Thanks,
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:23 AM   #23

Dont you just hold down the button to lower the voltage to 0.0 ?

I guess one question I have is why use a novak tray to dead short? I mean you can get a promatch tray or some other trays for 10$ that will dead short.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:12 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Clegg
You know, maybe it's something about these trays.

Ive seen 3 people now dead short on these trays. They are ALL user error issues. NOTHING wrong with the trays.

Pretty much it all comes down to paying attention to what you are doing. Because its not the polarity thats blowing the cells, its the fact that people dont realize that the bars should be on one side or the other. I havent had any issues with mine, and everyone who has smoked a cell or two on a tray was able to use the tray just fine after they spent the time to realize how to put batteries into the trays correctly.

Take notice that the area that shows the lil bar line above the cell's or below the cells are bridged inside, so when you mount a set of cells with a bar at the opposite side of a bridged set of cells you instantly cause a dead short between them. = "Pop... Fizzz..."

They also started blaming Novak like you are for their mistakes until they realized what they did. Were not talking rocket science here.
Dude, give others a little credit. There was a thread a few months ago where a guy was pretty darn sure that his smart tray was defective, and fried a pack. He took the tray back to the LHS, had the guy there take a look and try another pack, and sure enough.... sizzle. So, how do you explain that? Two bumbling idiots collaborating?

There are always occasional errors on the manufacturing side, including Novak. It's not very nice to just assume that the end user is stupid, as we have all made mistakes. Haven't you??
Old 12-10-2004, 12:24 PM   #25

You must not work in IT. We always assume the users are idiots when they do the same thing a few times wrong

I am not discounting that there could be bad trays, but get this:

One person who blew a pack on his, damaged the internals either from the heat or the current of the dead short. So every pack put on it after that dead shorted, even when put correctly.

So they may not be "defective" but "broken by the user".

Also think about it. Think about the size of conductor needed to dead short and not blow on its own in side the tray. No simple component issue would cause that. Look at how the inside is structured and you will see how stupid simple the lines are. The only parts of the tray that could handle that kind of the load are the bridges between the cells for the bars.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:27 PM   #26

and yes I haev made mistakes, I even dead shorted on a novak tray amazingly. But I noticed it instantly and pulled the pack out. (the lil sparks were a good clue).

But I dont blame novak for that
Old 12-10-2004, 03:30 PM   #27
Tech Adept

duckman996

To enter dead short mode on the NOVAK tray press and hold the button and then connect the 12v supply. Now put your cells on press the boutton again. When the the tray is turned off it will exit dead short mode and you will have to repeat to enter it again.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:23 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: novak smart tray

Quote:
Originally posted by dakrat
well, i just got my novak smart tray from the mail today and when i plug it in the ac adaptor it reads "LP" which is not mentioned in the intructions. i tried to discharge a pack and all it says is "LP". all the connections are good. can someone help me out?
LP means loss of power! seriously.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote