Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

nevermind, fixed it by adding more weights to the front arms and damping the kingpin.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

update on the 103gt? I just got a fully mod gt (tamiya mods) with the lmp body. I would love some feed back on this set up, I saw some pics but would love more if you could. thx
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silencery
I'm running into some issues with the front tires (Shimizu 571/72) skipping on high-speed sweepers on carpet. Any suggestions for this? Is damping the kingpin with a heavier grease the general solution?

I know it may not be a problem specific to the F1R, but just thought i'd throw it out there.

Thanks!
My car likes the 577 mediums up front on the carpet.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default F103GT conversion update

Originally Posted by pejota
keep us posted... i have an F103GT sitting around in a box...
Originally Posted by kmas
update on the 103gt? I just got a fully mod gt (tamiya mods) with the lmp body. I would love some feed back on this set up, I saw some pics but would love more if you could. thx
The first run of the converted F103GT was good. The car now handles better (as expected) and is more predictable. Traction is excellent (compared to stock) and steering is improved. The use and placement of a shorty LiPo allows for better tuning of steering. The car handles fairly neutral with a tendency to under steer when using a full size / height LiPo pack. I have not adjusted the pod spring placement, or toe for steering, or replaced tires, damper oil, diff setting, etc. I ran the car with the same settings from the previous build for comparison.

shorty LiPo clearance for more steering:

shorty clearance for more traction:

Things to consider for the build:
1) The wheelbase of the F1R is longer. It seems to be about 3.5mm longer than the F103GT. If your LMP body has pre-cut wheel wells - it will be off by bit. Purchasing a Response GT body would be a suggestion (+it's cheaper than the Courage bodyset).

2) The GT uses a TC bumper. I had to purchase the Response GT body from ABC Hobby (thanks MikeR for the tip). ResponseGT bumper

3) I had to remove the F103GT pod spacers and mount the pod directly to the F1R rear section. The spacers made the ride height too low - even with the highest setting for the axle blocks.
Current ride height w/o the pod spacers:

4) Body mount points are different from the F103GT. New body posts for the rear will be needed along with new placement.

5)Use the rear channel / groove in the chassis to route wire from ESC to transmitter. It makes for easier installing and removing batteries.

Initial setup notes:
+ Front black springs
+ TRF Rear damper with red spring. MuchMore #400 oil
+ Rear pre-load adjusted to allow rear pod to be level with main chassis
+ Rear pod springs @ suggested build height per Exotek instructions

Hope this helps.

Last edited by macavant; 07-10-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

The F1R is made to the F104 wheelbase. The F103GT is the same wheelbase as the F103 so to convert that the F1ultra conversion would keep the wheelbase right for under that body.

http://www.exotekracing.com/f1ultra-...lm-conversion/
Old 07-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
The F1R is made to the F104 wheelbase. The F103GT is the same wheelbase as the F103 so to convert that the F1ultra conversion would keep the wheelbase right for under that body.

http://www.exotekracing.com/f1ultra-...lm-conversion/
thats awesome....am I in the wrong thread? lol. I was getting concerned about the fitiment of my body that kit looks sweet, anyone done that one or should I look elsewhere (if so sorry)
Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Why is there window screen in the back wheel wells?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

I ordered my F1R from Stormer and i should have it by next weekend (a relative is bringing it to me from CA). I'd like to have a few spares of whatever would likely break. Can anyone please give me a list of parts i should stock up on? We have a good source of tamiya and HB parts in the Philippines but not much of anything else. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool
I'd like to have a few spares of whatever would likely break.
The kit actually comes with some extra parts for the damper for maintenance - like the damper o-rings and piston washers. Majority of the hardware that may need replacement are metric screws / washers. The only items that may break (in case of a collision) would be the side links. Check with Exotek if you can purchase extra side links, side springs, and spring holders. or maybe these: 12R5 links. spring retainer

I did strip a pivot ball during the build, maybe order these just in case: 12R5 pivot ball

HTH

Last edited by macavant; 07-12-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool
I ordered my F1R from Stormer and i should have it by next weekend (a relative is bringing it to me from CA). I'd like to have a few spares of whatever would likely break. Can anyone please give me a list of parts i should stock up on? We have a good source of tamiya and HB parts in the Philippines but not much of anything else. Thanks in advance!

Spare Associated side link set. Only thing I have broken. Comes with 2 links and the pivot pod. And its like $3.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

are the crc and associated side springs interchangable?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JayL
are the crc and associated side springs interchangable?
Yes. Different color codes though.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by macavant
The kit actually comes with some extra parts for the damper for maintenance - like the damper o-rings and piston washers. Majority of the hardware that may need replacement are metric screws / washers. The only items that may break (in case of a collision) would be the side links. Check with Exotek if you can purchase extra side links, side springs, and spring holders. or maybe these: 12R5 links. spring retainer

I did strip a pivot ball during the build, maybe order these just in case: 12R5 pivot ball

HTH
Originally Posted by texastc
Spare Associated side link set. Only thing I have broken. Comes with 2 links and the pivot pod. And its like $3.

Thanks!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow Mike !! I finally got my F1R up and running after a few months of to little time and I gotta say I'm impressed. I'm new to DD F1 and after just a few basic radio adjustments the car is handling really well. Can't wait to get it on a real track and see what she can do. After getting some wheel time on a friends F103 and F10 I was expecting much worse. I haven't even begun to adjust and change springs/oils or tires yet. Still has the used set of Tamiya rubber that came with the used F60 I started with.
I'm now using functions on my old M8 that I'd never used before in 10+ years of racing touring cars. I'm kind of a purist but 2wd demands some help from the radio. Doesn't take much but MAN does it make a difference. Amazing how you can really see the changes happening.
It's like starting fresh again. I love it !! F1 ROCKS !! Thanks for a great product.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Wow Mike !! I finally got my F1R up and running after a few months of to little time and I gotta say I'm impressed. I'm new to DD F1 and after just a few basic radio adjustments the car is handling really well. Can't wait to get it on a real track and see what she can do. After getting some wheel time on a friends F103 and F10 I was expecting much worse. I haven't even begun to adjust and change springs/oils or tires yet. Still has the used set of Tamiya rubber that came with the used F60 I started with.
I'm now using functions on my old M8 that I'd never used before in 10+ years of racing touring cars. I'm kind of a purist but 2wd demands some help from the radio. Doesn't take much but MAN does it make a difference. Amazing how you can really see the changes happening.
It's like starting fresh again. I love it !! F1 ROCKS !! Thanks for a great product.

Good to hear! Yes, I equate F1 racing to more like 2wd buggy racing minus the jumps Takes real finesse and constipation I mean concentration..! Sometimes I have to remind myself to loosen up and breath on the driver stand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.