Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Old 11-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by idbdoug View Post
what does putting a shim under the front ball end of the side links do??? more entry/exit steering???
idbdoug
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
I never used it but apparently it frees up the rear of the car for more steering.
It creates rear steer. The car will rotate harder in the middle of the corner. Don't go too far, 1mm shim max. Otherwise the car will screw itself into the ground.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell View Post
It creates rear steer. The car will rotate harder in the middle of the corner. Don't go too far, 1mm shim max. Otherwise the car will screw itself into the ground.
thanks
idbdoug
Old 11-28-2016, 05:36 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I finally bought the machined IFS damper rods and oh my god the difference it has over stock. Makes me wonder why the stock ones were included in the first place and not machined ones. Theres so much play in the stock ones I need to add 500k + oil in there just to get any sort of damping in the front.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

this past weekend at Tony Phalen's revenge race held at Tyler RC Complex I was able to win with the F1R3. It was a combined a-main with the WGT-R cars and I don't know if it's normal but the exotek F1R3 was faster than all the WGT-R's as well as the other F1's. This once my 1st race with the new F1R3 improved steering and it made the car drive like a TC.
Can't wait for next exotek upgrade to the F1R3
idbdoug
Attached Thumbnails Exotek F1R-img_0053.jpg  

Last edited by idbdoug; 11-30-2016 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 11-29-2016, 07:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah I thought I had third place wrapped up till I bit the wall. TQ racing still has the F104 parts in stock. I can't decide to try and keep the F1 or get a WGT-r car going.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

this past weekend at Tony Phalen's revenge race held at Tyler RC Complex I was able to win with the F1R3. It was a combined a-main with the WGT-R cars and I don't know if it's normal but the exotek F1R3 was faster than all the WGT-R's as well as the other F1's. This once my 1st race with the new F1R3 improved steering and it made the car drive like a TC.
Can't wait for next exotek upgrade to the F1R3
idbdoug
Great job!

Working on some new soft F1 springs for the top shock
Old 11-30-2016, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Great job!

Working on some new soft F1 springs for the top shock
Awesome, I'm going to Hudy Indoor Carpet race in January. Will these be available by then??? If not, if you have a test set I would be willing to try them out at the race which will be on the CRC black carpet.
idbdoug
Old 12-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Awesome, I'm going to Hudy Indoor Carpet race in January. Will these be available by then??? If not, if you have a test set I would be willing to try them out at the race which will be on the CRC black carpet.
idbdoug
I've been testing the secret soft springs for quite some time but finally went to production last month so hopefully in stock in 2 weeks if they pass QC
Old 12-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

I thought I post a pic of the Montech F15 body on my F1R3. The body side pods are not as low as the Protoforms and you have allot body coverage in the back. I used Tamiya Front Wing & 3racing rear wing but now I need try a wing set from montech. Average paint job at the best
idbdoug
Attached Thumbnails Exotek F1R-img_0673.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 11:17 PM
Regional Moderator

Mike, are there anything in the works on strengthening the trailing arm support post on the IFS to keep them from bending? I didnt realized the 2 support post were not level or standing absolutely straight until looked at the left and right caster and kept scratching my head why its different from left to right.

Ive set the 2 caster adjusting arm to be exactly the same length and one side would have a larger caster angle than the next. Loosening and retightening the posts reveled there was a slight wobble on the post and you can actually see the caster changing around when spinning the post.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:44 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,

i will be assembling a F1R3 next week and i will need to buy a bodysheel. has anyone used the Bitty design F6C? My mate is using the protoform 14, but in my opinion is too narrow and a bit ugly. Has anyone used the protoform 15?

Cheers
Javier
Old 12-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by disaster999 View Post
Mike, are there anything in the works on strengthening the trailing arm support post on the IFS to keep them from bending? I didnt realized the 2 support post were not level or standing absolutely straight until looked at the left and right caster and kept scratching my head why its different from left to right.

Ive set the 2 caster adjusting arm to be exactly the same length and one side would have a larger caster angle than the next. Loosening and retightening the posts reveled there was a slight wobble on the post and you can actually see the caster changing around when spinning the post.
Hmm, wasn't really any plans for it... I've never been asked about replacement posts so have never even heard of that. The posts in fact are placed in a position on the chassis so that the chassis will just flex in big impacts.
I'm using the same posts I first installed about 2 years ago when the IFS first came out and I know I've had some good crashes since then
But you can email for quote on replacement posts to HK.

Different camber will affect different caster, no matter how equal you measure a turnbuckle. Always measure angles at the wheels- there are too many parts between the wheels and the inner mount points to simply measure turnbuckle lengths.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jimjav View Post
Hi,

i will be assembling a F1R3 next week and i will need to buy a bodysheel. has anyone used the Bitty design F6C? My mate is using the protoform 14, but in my opinion is too narrow and a bit ugly. Has anyone used the protoform 15?

Cheers
Javier
The Bitty bodies are nice looking but they are pretty big, heavy and tall- a lot like Tamiya F1 bodies. Fine if you are after looks.
For performance the Protoforms are working best for me, either the 13 or the 14. The 15 seems to have been designed for single damper rod F1 cars (Tamiya 102 etc). Guys trying to run them on any of the dual dampers rod cars are mounting the back of the bodies up higher, to clear the damper tubes, and so it just looks awkward I think.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:09 PM
JS
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Anyone tried the PF front and rear wings?
Currently using F60 front and Montech Rear. This combo works great for my setup.
Curious if anyone has any feedback on the PF wings.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2016, 12:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JS View Post
Anyone tried the PF front and rear wings?
Currently using F60 front and Montech Rear. This combo works great for my setup.
Curious if anyone has any feedback on the PF wings.
Thanks
I've tried both and the front wing will droop like the Tamiya F2012 after a few hits. The rear is nice and has quite a bit of adjustability and height mounting, but even at its highest is not as tall as the Tamiya wings. Otherwise no complaints with the rear. Although I like them to match so I'll probably sitch back to th F60 or the McLaren.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.