Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Old 11-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Here is a video of the BRCA (UK) nationals round 2 win..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JcM...YX2dXn&index=4

We run 4 qualifying rounds and a single 6 minute race. Points scored on race finish only. We use the GRP S2 as a control tyre making for some very close running..
Qualifying result - http://www.eecc.co.uk/results/05-11-...g_Round_04.htm
Race results - http://www.eecc.co.uk/results/05-11-...1_Final_04.htm

F1R3 running so well at the moment!
Old 11-14-2016, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

We're running 25.5t on medium bite carpet and i'm having a hell of a time getting my car easier to drive. It wants to pull pretty hard different directions under hard acceleration. Coming out of 180's it's incredibly difficult to put power down without the car wanting to dart into a wall.

Car is great in higher speed handling and generally handles really well but it's just a monster to drive in comparison to other f1's at the track.

Diff is medium tight to loose, did the quarter trick on the front tires to check tweak. I have the IFS with soft springs, black associated roll springs, use the tamiya AWS grease in the side dampers and front IFS. I'm pretty new to pan chassis so not sure where to look next. More droop, less drop in the pod? Turn the punch down in the ESC? It's just weird to me how the car just wants to dart either direction under acceleration. I know i'm just missing something key in the setup.

Thinking of just starting over in setup if there's a decent medium carpet setup around as a baseline.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
We're running 25.5t on medium bite carpet and i'm having a hell of a time getting my car easier to drive. It wants to pull pretty hard different directions under hard acceleration. Coming out of 180's it's incredibly difficult to put power down without the car wanting to dart into a wall.

Car is great in higher speed handling and generally handles really well but it's just a monster to drive in comparison to other f1's at the track.

Diff is medium tight to loose, did the quarter trick on the front tires to check tweak. I have the IFS with soft springs, black associated roll springs, use the tamiya AWS grease in the side dampers and front IFS. I'm pretty new to pan chassis so not sure where to look next. More droop, less drop in the pod? Turn the punch down in the ESC? It's just weird to me how the car just wants to dart either direction under acceleration. I know i'm just missing something key in the setup.

Thinking of just starting over in setup if there's a decent medium carpet setup around as a baseline.
Hi Vegas,

So it's just lacking forward bite? That can be fixed with a few spring changes and correct tires.

You didn't post your set up but basically you want;
1. extra soft rear top spring (lets the pod generate rear forward bite)
2. steel axle (more rear weight)
3. Firmer front spring
4. Try shimizu 75 rear tire with correct sauce (important)
5. Make sure your rear pod is free and not bound up anywhere

Attached is Aaron Lanes winning carpet set up.
Please post a pic of your car and your set up to help us spot any other things to try.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F1R3_Capet_Setup_AaronLane.pdf (445.2 KB, 75 views)
Old 11-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

This past weekend at N-Control RC we had the ROAR region 9 championship and I was able to take 2nd with my F1R3.
Thanks again Exotek and I'm looking forward to installing the latest exotek product,
F1R3 steering set
idbdoug
Attached Thumbnails Exotek F1R-roarregion92016f1.jpg  
Old 11-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Hi Vegas,

You didn't post your set up but basically you want;
1. extra soft rear top spring (lets the pod generate rear forward bite)
2. steel axle (more rear weight)
3. Firmer front spring
4. Try shimizu 75 rear tire with correct sauce (important)
5. Make sure your rear pod is free and not bound up anywhere

Attached is Aaron Lanes winning carpet set up.
Please post a pic of your car and your set up to help us spot any other things to try.
Thanks, i was following Aaron's setup when building but I did go to a carbon shaft and probably too soft on the front springs which is why it'll want to hook sometimes. I'll tighten up the front and go back to a steel shaft. Appreciate the help, car is awesome, just lost my way a little.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
Thanks, i was following Aaron's setup when building but I did go to a carbon shaft and probably too soft on the front springs which is why it'll want to hook sometimes. I'll tighten up the front and go back to a steel shaft. Appreciate the help, car is awesome, just lost my way a little.
I'll add to what Mike said. Check the pod and side links, you can chase setup around a link car until you pull your hair out because the links are bound up.

Get rid of the TAM grease in the side dampers. I use 10K on black carpet with good results. The TAM grease is too sticky and doesn't let the pod come back to center on corner exit. Probably ditch it in the front too. Try 20K for the front, same reason, the front is compressing on corner entry and not releasing on corner exit. Kind of like having very little front droop so you get a ton of on power steering.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell View Post
I'll add to what Mike said. Check the pod and side links, you can chase setup around a link car until you pull your hair out because the links are bound up.

Get rid of the TAM grease in the side dampers. I use 10K on black carpet with good results. The TAM grease is too sticky and doesn't let the pod come back to center on corner exit. Probably ditch it in the front too. Try 20K for the front, same reason, the front is compressing on corner entry and not releasing on corner exit. Kind of like having very little front droop so you get a ton of on power steering.
Spot on- thanks Rick!
Old 11-15-2016, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks fellas, i'm finding out very quickly pancars are very finicky with details, every little spacer, spring, grease weight etc have a massive impact on the car.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How much the car weighs has an even bigger impact... IFS is usually very heavy(way past minimum weight)...
Old 11-15-2016, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
IFS is usually very heavy(way past minimum weight)...
ummm .... nope. You need the actual product to opine like that Bert.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by razor41 View Post
Here is a video of the BRCA (UK) nationals round 2 win..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JcM...YX2dXn&index=4

We run 4 qualifying rounds and a single 6 minute race. Points scored on race finish only. We use the GRP S2 as a control tyre making for some very close running..
Qualifying result - http://www.eecc.co.uk/results/05-11-...g_Round_04.htm
Race results - http://www.eecc.co.uk/results/05-11-...1_Final_04.htm

F1R3 running so well at the moment!
James winning BRCA carpet set up attached!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F1R3-Setup-Eastbourne.pdf (455.3 KB, 182 views)
Old 11-16-2016, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Spot on- thanks Rick!
Yessir! Haven't been able to run much but I'm very happy with the car. Ran back in Sept for the first time in almost 2 years. First time on black carpet too. Ended up Q3 and finished P2 for the day behind Rob King. Couldn't have asked for much more.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

First practice session with F1R3 steering set and the car seemed to have more steering with more direct feedback, can't wait for Phalen's On-Road Revenge race this sunday with the new steering set.
idbdoug
Old 11-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

what does putting a shim under the front ball end of the side links do??? more entry/exit steering???
idbdoug
Old 11-25-2016, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by idbdoug View Post
what does putting a shim under the front ball end of the side links do??? more entry/exit steering???
idbdoug
I never used it but apparently it frees up the rear of the car for more steering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.