Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

When you say "t-bar", are just just running without side springs, or are you also locking the center pivot to the main chassis using longer screws going into the two extra holes in the bottom of the chassis? It seems like that's what those two holes could be used for.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Serzoni
When you say "t-bar", are just just running without side springs, or are you also locking the center pivot to the main chassis using longer screws going into the two extra holes in the bottom of the chassis? It seems like that's what those two holes could be used for.
I lock down the center football to limit side to side roll. the t-bar is used by screwing in 2 setscrews that are located on the center football section of the chassis. You want to screw them down until just barely touching the bottom side of the football. the main shock should still feel pretty much the same with the setscrews in place. if after putting in the setscrews, the main shock feels super slow or bound up then the setscrews are too tight on the football. You still have to run the side links to keep the axle straight, and i run no side springs when utilizing the t-bar function

Aaron
Old 06-27-2016, 10:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Exactly how I was picturing it. Thanks, Aaron.

What length set screws are you using, and are they 3mm or 2.5mm?
Old 06-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Wheelz
You have this in reference to the shock:
"went from 3 hole to 2 hole to get through the bumps and better on power traction"

Your feeling is that more pack creates more on power traction?
Old 06-27-2016, 12:38 PM
JS
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wheelz
Hi guys,

I spent the weekend up in Camarillo racing their BFTR. The track was often times pretty loose and dusty but the F1R3 did a great job staying straight when on power. I TQ'd and won the event in F1. I feel like my asphalt setup with the new steering rack is good enough that I wanted to get it written up and posted for you guys

The setup uses the T-bar with no side-springs. other than the t-bar and a castor change, it is not too much different than my carpet setup.

Hope you can get a chance to try it out

Aaron Lane

Congrats on your F1 TQ and Win at the BFTR X yesterday.
Your F1R3 was fast and consistent all weekend.
Thanks for all of your setup help as well.

Jeff Shaw
ActivRC
Old 06-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racenut123
Hey MikeR! Nice racing with you this weekend. Glad you found your stride by the mains. 1 sec over AAA mains for the tie breaker is close enough for me! Hope to be able to race again sometime.

John Hicks
Hey John!

Awesome running with your F1 crew in Nor Cali!
You all are a class act, much like the SoCal F1 crew.

I'll try and make it out again next year. I learned a lot about VHT sprayed tracks

Hi guys,

I spent the weekend up in Camarillo racing their BFTR. The track was often times pretty loose and dusty but the F1R3 did a great job staying straight when on power. I TQ'd and won the event in F1. I feel like my asphalt setup with the new steering rack is good enough that I wanted to get it written up and posted for you guys

The setup uses the T-bar with no side-springs. other than the t-bar and a castor change, it is not too much different than my carpet setup.

Hope you can get a chance to try it out

Aaron Lane
Great job Aaron! Go hybrid linked t-bar!
Old 06-27-2016, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR

I learned a lot about VHT sprayed tracks

Yeah about the track...........
Old 06-27-2016, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by racenut123
Yeah about the track...........
Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

I lock down the center football to limit side to side roll. the t-bar is used by screwing in 2 setscrews that are located on the center football section of the chassis. You want to screw them down until just barely touching the bottom side of the football. the main shock should still feel pretty much the same with the setscrews in place. if after putting in the setscrews, the main shock feels super slow or bound up then the setscrews are too tight on the football. You still have to run the side links to keep the axle straight, and i run no side springs when utilizing the t-bar function

Aaron

Yes, the secrets out- All F1R3's have the TRF102 style t-plate for asphalt racing

2- M3x3 set screws are used as shown. Just file the tips of the set screws smooth for less wear on the nylon pivot and mount the battery with servo tape on the bottom so that the 't-plate' has extra room to flex.
The car works great this way with no side springs and using TRF102 heavy lube on both side dampers.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How does this change the car's handling? I will be racing outside with Ride XR tires on a medium low grip surface...
Old 06-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cadman1981
How does this change the car's handling? I will be racing outside with Ride XR tires on a medium low grip surface...
for my car, it allows the car to have a lot more exit traction. I also feel that the car is more consistent through bumps and transitional sections

Aaron

just make sure to sand and glue the side of the chassis before putting in the setscrews so that you do not delaminate the t-bar

I havent had a lot of luck with the ride tires because the rims break
Old 06-30-2016, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

for my car, it allows the car to have a lot more exit traction. I also feel that the car is more consistent through bumps and transitional sections

Aaron

just make sure to sand and glue the side of the chassis before putting in the setscrews so that you do not delaminate the t-bar

I havent had a lot of luck with the ride tires because the rims break
I haven't broken the ride wheel yet, but man the tires are way wobbly and the inserts much too firm. No such problem with my Shimizus...

I've tried them on 2 different asphalt tracks and the Shimizus have been much faster AND easier to drive.

The rides need;
1. Softer rear insert.
2. Not come premounted (I'd rather glue them myself to insure proper roundness).
3. Be much cheaper.

Maybe they work better on carpet??
Old 06-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 322 (100%+)

Yes, the secrets out- All F1R3's have the TRF102 style t-plate for asphalt racing

2- M3x3 set screws are used as shown. Just file the tips of the set screws smooth for less wear on the nylon pivot and mount the battery with servo tape on the bottom so that the 't-plate' has extra room to flex.
The car works great this way with no side springs and using TRF102 heavy lube on both side dampers.

Never mind. I re-read Aaron's post. Thanks.

Last edited by rcdoktor2; 06-30-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:18 PM
Tech Champion

This weekend I'll work on a tuning diagram on how to set these tweak screws. It's very similar to how the old AE1/12 pan cars used to be set.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

This weekend I'll work on a tuning diagram on how to set these tweak screws. It's very similar to how the old AE1/12 pan cars used to be set.
I noticed this the other night. It's actually reversed from a normal t-bar car that has the tweak screws inserted from the top. I found that you have to tighten the screw on the same side as the front tire that lifts first and back off the heavier side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.