Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Old 06-20-2016, 01:12 PM
  #2101  
Tech Addict
 
VegasHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 515
Default

Originally Posted by idbdoug View Post
If your on carpet, don't be afraid to run the diff super tight. It took me forever to convince another driver to do this, once he did his car was allot better.
idbdoug
I was at first but we run on lowes carpet so it'll pull whatever direction the fibers run when little rubber is put down on a newer layout. Car was a nightmare to keep straight rolling into the throttle until I loosened up the diff and traction started coming up in the new layout.

What usually causes a pull to one side or another under power in pan cars in general? Roll springs being off a bit?
VegasHB is offline  
Old 06-20-2016, 05:02 PM
  #2102  
Tech Adept
 
wheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: orange county
Posts: 231
Default

Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
First ever race with my F1R3 / F1 race and I Tq'd and won....well sportsman class but hey. Never ran a pan style car before so setup was a little frustrating but once I dialed it in it with some help the car was on rails.

Having a hard time getting speed an punch compared to the expert class guys. 25.5 FR1 fantom seems good but i'm missing something. I assume batteries, motor timing and gearing is critical on the F1's.
are you running on asphalt or carpet? Carpet you have to basically lock down the diff as tight as you can.

also what is your gearing? are you running short stack or regular? there are a lot of little details to make the car quicker and I am happy to help out as best I can!

Originally Posted by bornox View Post
hi! question about battery position on f1r3. which one would you guys prefer on asphalt. inline or sideway? thanks!
I prefer sideways. the car has the same overall steering but is less touchy and will often be more consistent than the inline configuration

Originally Posted by idbdoug View Post
Chassis rails:::under what conditions would you want to use these add-ons??
idbdoug
The chassis rails are a good tuning option on carpet with the carbon chassis! you do not have to tighten all the screws down and allows you to adjust where the flex is on the chassis. before running the aluminum chassis on carpet, the chassis rails were a great tuning option!
wheelz is offline  
Old 06-21-2016, 07:34 AM
  #2103  
Tech Addict
 
VegasHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 515
Default

Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
are you running on asphalt or carpet? Carpet you have to basically lock down the diff as tight as you can.

also what is your gearing? are you running short stack or regular? there are a lot of little details to make the car quicker and I am happy to help out as best I can!
Carpet, lowes carpet but grip is good with a little sxt. Running the 25.5 Fantom FR1. I was geared 66/21 @ 48p in the 3rd main. We were running 15min mains with 2 pitstops but from here on out it'll be club racing with 6min mains.

I was at 66/24 in the first main and the car faded really bad in the last 4 minutes of the 15min main. Running a 4600mah lipo sideways. I noticed the experts held a strong pace all 15min, cars looked punchy through the whole race and picking up a few cars after the race during marshaling the motors were incredibly hot, had to be close to the 150+ degree F mark which confused me more that they weren't really fading much at those temps.
VegasHB is offline  
Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 AM
  #2104  
Tech Master
iTrader: (38)
 
idbdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Above FltLevel300
Posts: 1,810
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
I was at first but we run on lowes carpet so it'll pull whatever direction the fibers run when little rubber is put down on a newer layout. Car was a nightmare to keep straight rolling into the throttle until I loosened up the diff and traction started coming up in the new layout.

What usually causes a pull to one side or another under power in pan cars in general? Roll springs being off a bit?
Couple suggestions:
1. Esc's call this a little differently between them but turn your punch rate, throttle limiter, etc way down if your loose on acceleration. My esc default is near 7 out of 10 where 10 is instant power on acceleration, I have it down near 3. CRITICAL but often overlooked adjustment in F1
2. Run an esc sized fan on your sensor side of your motor. I recently had an outdoor race where track surface was 128F, probably even higher but stopped checking. I never had any overheating issues or fade.
Exotek motor mount on that side has small holes for fan mounting.
3. With diff loose your going to have uneven acceleration to one side or another unfortunately
idbdoug is offline  
Old 06-22-2016, 09:25 AM
  #2105  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (30)
 
bornox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 650
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

what do you guys use to measure the caster?
bornox is offline  
Old 06-22-2016, 10:39 AM
  #2106  
Tech Adept
 
wheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: orange county
Posts: 231
Default

Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
Carpet, lowes carpet but grip is good with a little sxt. Running the 25.5 Fantom FR1. I was geared 66/21 @ 48p in the 3rd main. We were running 15min mains with 2 pitstops but from here on out it'll be club racing with 6min mains.

I was at 66/24 in the first main and the car faded really bad in the last 4 minutes of the 15min main. Running a 4600mah lipo sideways. I noticed the experts held a strong pace all 15min, cars looked punchy through the whole race and picking up a few cars after the race during marshaling the motors were incredibly hot, had to be close to the 150+ degree F mark which confused me more that they weren't really fading much at those temps.
there is going to be some fade over a 15 minute main.. especially on carpet! the cars use up too many mah's. 150 on carpet isn't really too hot after 15 minutes. the cars always run a little hotter on carpet because of the grip.

I dont know a lot about the fantom motors. are they short stack? rotor and stack length can greatly affect performance and temperature over long runs.. I ran the trinity short stack with 12.5 rotor and your exact gearing on our local carpet track. 24/66. but knowing the rotor size will make a huge difference!

Originally Posted by bornox View Post
what do you guys use to measure the caster?
I use a simple camber gauge turned sideways to measure the angle that the kingpin is leaning back. nothing too crazy I try to keep it simple and just get it close. after setting the castor and camber I always go back and measure the arm lengths to make sure that they are in the same ball park as well.

Something like this one:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=1330
wheelz is offline  
Old 06-22-2016, 02:20 PM
  #2107  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (30)
 
bornox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 650
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
there is going to be some fade over a 15 minute main.. especially on carpet! the cars use up too many mah's. 150 on carpet isn't really too hot after 15 minutes. the cars always run a little hotter on carpet because of the grip.

I dont know a lot about the fantom motors. are they short stack? rotor and stack length can greatly affect performance and temperature over long runs.. I ran the trinity short stack with 12.5 rotor and your exact gearing on our local carpet track. 24/66. but knowing the rotor size will make a huge difference!



I use a simple camber gauge turned sideways to measure the angle that the kingpin is leaning back. nothing too crazy I try to keep it simple and just get it close. after setting the castor and camber I always go back and measure the arm lengths to make sure that they are in the same ball park as well.

Something like this one:
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=1330
thanks! appreciate it.
bornox is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 07:45 AM
  #2108  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (15)
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 5,435
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Steering kits!




http://www.redrc.net/2016/06/exotek-...equipped-kits/
MikeR is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 09:37 AM
  #2109  
R/C Tech Elite Member
 
JayL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 3,089
Default

Nice job Mike! Looks amazing, you may have lured me back
JayL is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 09:46 AM
  #2110  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (15)
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 5,435
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Nice job Mike! Looks amazing, you may have lured me back
Thanks! Are you going to be at the NorCal race this weekend? I'll let you test drive it.
MikeR is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 05:19 PM
  #2111  
Tech Addict
 
VegasHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 515
Default

Mike, you really should consider an ifs kit for other f1's like the xray x1. Handful of guys that have seen my f1r3 love the front end suspension.

Hate to this detract from f1r3 kit sales but ur ifs setup is unparalleled and would likely sell pretty well for other f1's.
VegasHB is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 05:33 PM
  #2112  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (28)
 
mtveten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,729
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Does the new steering kit work with the f104 front end or does it require the ifs setup?
mtveten is offline  
Old 06-23-2016, 07:33 PM
  #2113  
OVA
Tech Champion
iTrader: (82)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 9,582
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
Does the new steering kit work with the f104 front end or does it require the ifs setup?
I believe , it requires an F1R3 with the Exotek IFS set and it is not designed for use with the stock F104 front arms.
OVA is offline  
Old 06-26-2016, 09:39 PM
  #2114  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,568
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Hey MikeR! Nice racing with you this weekend. Glad you found your stride by the mains. 1 sec over AAA mains for the tie breaker is close enough for me! Hope to be able to race again sometime.


John Hicks
racenut123 is offline  
Old 06-27-2016, 07:53 AM
  #2115  
Tech Adept
 
wheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: orange county
Posts: 231
Default

Hi guys,

I spent the weekend up in Camarillo racing their BFTR. The track was often times pretty loose and dusty but the F1R3 did a great job staying straight when on power. I TQ'd and won the event in F1. I feel like my asphalt setup with the new steering rack is good enough that I wanted to get it written up and posted for you guys

The setup uses the T-bar with no side-springs. other than the t-bar and a castor change, it is not too much different than my carpet setup.

Hope you can get a chance to try it out

Aaron Lane
Attached Thumbnails Exotek F1R-screenshot_2016-06-25-16-54-16.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Aaron Lane BFTR Asphalt T-Bar.pdf (444.5 KB, 101 views)
wheelz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.