R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
That has to come from yourself, or with the help of others.
Ask any one who's truly good at this and they'll tell you It comes from yourself with the help of others.

I totally agree that guidance and camaraderie are two very important factors in making a successful go for any club/track.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Ask any one who's truly good at this and they'll tell you It comes from yourself with the help of others.

I totally agree that guidance and camaraderie are two very important factors in making a successful go for any club/track.
]

yes, my typo...

Never go into battle armed with nothing....

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #18
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Good thread. When we look back and think about the guys that helped us over the time we have been in RC should look at themselves in the mirror and think that we need to be that guy as well to help the new guys at our track now to keep them involved the same way we stayed in!

Most of the guys that helped me when I was 12 and took me around to the tracks because I wasnt old enough dont race anymore. Keith Terry, Mike Webster and a couple of others. Since Ive been running On-road as much as I hate to admit it Drew Ellis and Paul Lemieux have been the two that have helped me more than anyone on and off the track. As much as Drew has helped me he has also driven me half crazy at the same time! Wouldnt have it any other way though.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

My biggest help

Shaun, over the past few months he's answerd stupid questions, given tons of tips, loaned tools, parts, pinions, and put up with my crap He has been the best source of setup help I could have. I dont always know what I want my car to do but if I can explain it in some small way he can give me an idea or three of things to change to make it better.

Of course as stupid as it may sound VRCpro has been some help as well. I have always had trouble seeing "the line" and hearing lap times on VRC in practice, making little changes to how I drive the track, I have seen improvements in my driving.
LMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Phil trotta
jamie corrado
richie siriano
ralph fortunato
pops
bombero
sweep racing /los magnificos
rob bendall
leon(1speedy)
pressure / made sure my rtr engine didnt blow up

floyd bennette raceway

This hobbyshop in 7th ave brooklyn that sold me my bolink onroad back in '91

For RC TShirts and Custom Sponsor Shirts & Hoodies, Please Visit www.veytrex.com
VexVegaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Who has helped me the most?

Kenny Lambert, Frank Calandra, Eric Anderson and the rest of the folks at Trinity.

Without their help I would still be struggling.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have not been in the hobby very long, but I've had the good fortune to meet and race with some awesome guys who have helped me out tremendously with setup, driving, and rides to the tracks.

In no particular order, I need to give massive thanks to Steve Fowler, Daniel Weinstein, Glen Sison, Andrew and Ian Hardman, Martin Crisp and JB Catricala and many people in the RCTech community for all the setup and driving advice.

For making one of the finest carpet tracks and keeping it open despite some slow periods, a huge thank you to Lou and Kathy Vanderwey, Adam Hutchison and Johnny "Rocker" Watkins. Lou's Speedway rocks!

For setting up the first track I ever raced on and keeping it tons of fun, I want to thank John and JB Catricala, Tim Sanderson and the rest of the FastCats crew. btw, good luck in Japan JB.

Thanks to the Niagara folks for keeping a fun and competitive club going and for running the Canadian On-Road Nationals every year. Matt, Mark, Mike, Jim and your families, Thanks.

Thanks to the DRCRC guys for setting up a fun club. Mike, Bill Jr, Bill Sr. and Jim. Great job guys.

Thanks to Eric Anderson for being my first official sponsor. Extra incentive to drive better every weekend and also to think more about what I post online. Thanks EA.

For all the rides to the tracks, thank you Susan Fowler, Daniel Weinstein, Glen Sison, Carlo Roman, GO Transit and the T.T.C.

There's many other racers I'd love to thank for just being awesome people to hang out and race with, but it would be a huge list and I'd probably miss some names, so I'll just say thanks everyone. You all make this hobby more enjoyable.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I have not been in the hobby very long, but I've had the good fortune to meet and race with some awesome guys who have helped me out tremendously with setup, driving, and rides to the tracks.

In no particular order, I need to give massive thanks to Steve Fowler, Daniel Weinstein, Glen Sison, Andrew and Ian Hardman, Martin Crisp and JB Catricala and many people in the RCTech community for all the setup and driving advice.

For making one of the finest carpet tracks and keeping it open despite some slow periods, a huge thank you to Lou and Kathy Vanderwey, Adam Hutchison and Johnny "Rocker" Watkins. Lou's Speedway rocks!

For setting up the first track I ever raced on and keeping it tons of fun, I want to thank John and JB Catricala, Tim Sanderson and the rest of the FastCats crew. btw, good luck in Japan JB.

Thanks to the Niagara folks for keeping a fun and competitive club going and for running the Canadian On-Road Nationals every year. Matt, Mark, Mike, Jim and your families, Thanks.

Thanks to the DRCRC guys for setting up a fun club. Mike, Bill Jr, Bill Sr. and Jim. Great job guys.

Thanks to Eric Anderson for being my first official sponsor. Extra incentive to drive better every weekend and also to think more about what I post online. Thanks EA.

For all the rides to the tracks, thank you Susan Fowler, Daniel Weinstein, Glen Sison, Carlo Roman, GO Transit and the T.T.C.

There's many other racers I'd love to thank for just being awesome people to hang out and race with, but it would be a huge list and I'd probably miss some names, so I'll just say thanks everyone. You all make this hobby more enjoyable.
Cheers Dave
You've come a long way in the past 4-5months, have us worrying about our spots in the A-main :P (especially once you figure out the new car!)

Good topic though!

For me it's an easy one. When i was around 13yrs old, I started to really take to competitive racing (trying to learn about the changes on the cars), Martin Crisp has always helped me with anything I've needed (setups, advise, parts...). I did have to take about 7 years off after I was 15 or 16, due to the cost of the hobby and my age (lack of job), but finally got back into it Just over a year ago.

Who's still the fast guy to beat in my area (Toronto, Ontario) after 7 years? Still Martin Crisp. He continues passing along his knowledge of the hobby to me and anyone else who asks for it. Aside from off the track, with teaching me how settings affect the cars handling, (which I think have a good handle for the most part now), but now that I'm getting closer to his pace (still a long way to go), he's a really clean racer and has taught me a lot when it comes to head to head battles (although i'm sure he's not putting out his full effort for the most part, haha).

Thanks Martin, you've done a lot for the RC community, always willing to pass along his knowledge to help us better understand this complex hobby
Lou's Speedway/Much Hobby/RC Niagara Indoor

Last edited by speedyfowler; 11-16-2011 at 04:49 PM.
speedyfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowarn View Post
Who has helped me the most?

Kenny Lambert, Frank Calandra, Eric Anderson and the rest of the folks at Trinity.

Without their help I would still be struggling.
Saw this post this morning, but I had to run my wife to work and threw up a quick post, but I want to elaborate.

Kenny has been a major player in the 'Help me get better' club, lol! He comes to the track with me every time I go. Always helps me to understand the little nuances that help make the set up of a 12th scale work. Always putting up with my 'over thinking it' problems with a smile on his face and always clearly explains the reasoning. He let me tag along with him going to the IIC, and helped me to stay in the groove to get the most out of my first experience. Still not on his pace yet, he is inhumanly fast.....but am only .1 sec off his fast lap!

Frank had a huge smile on his face and shook my hand the first time I met him. Was a five hour drive out to his track/shop and they held up the racing JUST to allow me time to make it there and play with everybody. He made sure I had all that I needed when I was getting prepped for the IIC. He made room for me to pit with his team (I drive a CRC car but I am not yet a CRC team driver) even though it meant I was taking the space of one of his team drivers. He did this to help me gain the best experience and have a great time at the IIC. I had a rear pod plate turn out to be tweaked at the IIC, no questions asked....one was given to me. Absolutely incredible.

EA and the folks at Trinity are my first real sponsors. Had some crazy snafu's happening for getting all of my stuff together for the IIC. Shipping debacles and the panic of my first real big race, EA did everything he could to help make sure I had what I needed to compete. I had noticed that folks were making motor changes that I didn't have the parts for, went over to EA and said I needed to find some horsepower and would pay what ever the cost was to get it. EA simply handed me a new rotor, the king of all rotors lol, and said here ya go man....go try this out! Got some SERIOUS pinion gear love from Trinity as well. Jim kept me stocked with the stickers I needed for the IIC and Billy even laughs at my bizarre humor when I am discussing email orders.

Cannot forget RCExcitement either for having an indoor carpet track that is permanent and always keeping us racers happy and driving! Thanks Todd!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #25
Tech Regular

For me it was a guy named Robert Balonga (and I probably hacked up his last name...)

When I first got into racing I didn't know a thing. I'd charge up my battires, throw my car on the track and hope for the best. I ran 1/10th scale pan car oval and got a fiberglass RC10L. I didn't know about tweak, dual rate, or anything else for that matter so I struggled trying to keep an ill-handling car with way too much steering throw out of the boards. I had been trying to compete for a long time and didn't have anything to show for it other than I'd been having a lot of fun trying.

Then Robert, who was my age, came up to me one day and offered to help me out. Wasn't long before I was doing better and bought a RC10LO in graphite. With that car, and Robert's help, I began winning races and even did very well in a couple series races. Without his help, I'd probably have eventually grown frustrated and gave up the hobby. To this day I remember his help and am always willing to help novice racers.

As a company, HPI...hands down. Worked for them for over three years and during that time I had so many unique opportunities in this community that I would never have had otherwise.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #26
Tech Master

If we're talking about individuals, it has to be Gary Lanzer for me.

He's the guy that got me started in the hobby, almost 7 years ago now. Gave me a Paragon 27 turn motor and a 2400 Sanyo NiCd pack. Since then he's provided me with huge amounts of invaluable setup knowledge, countless amounts of parts, and he's answered countless questions.

Thanks Gary.

As far as Manufacturers go, I would definitely have to say Schumacher.

When I was driving for them, Shawn, Adam, Kenny, Mike, and Chris were great help, and I think having a team to drive for really helped me become better as a racer, both on and off the track.

Thanks guys.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Well, for me was my boy Mike who got me into rc in the first place, my lhs owner Chris Marcy, and the dude I know as Shawn at my LHS.......but the most help and the fastest help was right here on RCTech. I think I was lucky enough to get into rc's and be pointed to this forum at the same time.
DuckStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

For me, it has to be several people. Starting 20 years ago, it was Mike Wollard. He helped me alot in oval and dirt oval. More recently, I would say Steve Walters, Brian Reigle, and now that I have moved to Ohio, Ian Ruggles and CD Wells. I not only consider all these people fellow racers, but also truely great friends. They have truly helped the hobby more than they know. I only wish more people would follow their lead!
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #29
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Mike Queller, used to talk to him for hours about everything.

Carroll Smith. If you don't know that name, look it up and learn.

Ron Paris.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #30
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lonny Johnson, for getting my into it in the first place, then back again after a hiatus, then finally fast with tuning advice and the rare eccentric parts that he just pulls out of his box to put the car right.

Also Jason McWethy and finally Brian Kinwald, for setting the bar of what is considered fast so high that I cant slack off and just cruise.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote