R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-07-2004, 07:21 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Getting Sauced

Traction compounds have me flummoxed !! At Richland, I quallified pretty well in 1/12, having about the right ammount of sauce applied. The car would still be really twitchy at the start, but settle down after a lap or two. As traction came up though, I went out of focus as to how much and when to sauce up. Could the kind people out there lay down their methods of maintenance of the saucing. Bugs the crap out of me seeing my car zag violently as the pack goes steaming by..

All part of the learning curve and asking might speed that process up.

Jacko
The Fog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:35 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to WVRACER

i use the niftech stuff and all i do is on the heat befor mine i sauce the complete rear tire and the frount over to the orange section

scrub the tires befor the heat and run thats it

wvracer
WVRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Lebatek
Default Taco Sauced

Sparky,

The key to tire saucing is consistency, while noting your results. I like to keep mine on the tires for 10 - 15 minutes (maybe a little longer for the first run of the day). I also like to get the tires good and dry prior to putting the car on the track. Really rub it in with a clean towel! Then do a little burnout while holding the car (some tracks have a special piece of carpet to do that on so you don't leave burnout marks everywhere). For bigger races where battery life may be an issue, skip the burnout and wipe a second time well with the towel. If you do this, you should have good and consistent traction from the sound of the horn! Follow the exact routine for every run but note that at some tracks, as traction comes up throughout the day, you can probably get away with less sauce or less soaking time.

*I start out doing the full rear and 1/4 to 1/2 of the fronts (on the INSIDE edge) depending on track conditions.

Good luck!

Sponsored by: Team Associated, Reedy, Airtronics, LRP, and Mugen
Lebatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Balchini, I've been trying a new way of treating my tires....... CLEAN THEM AFTER EVERY RUN!!! Then I sauce them for about 12 minutes. I just use motor spray and clean them.

Dom
Old 12-07-2004, 02:40 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Clean with simple green 50/50 mix soon as you get back from marshalling then i sauce mine up right away, if its a long time before the next heat ill add a little more 1/2 hour before.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

i dont recomend doing a burnout to remove any tire track.. this only removes it from the raer tires...

i put my car flat on the track.. then slide it on an angle making both front and rear tires roll yet scrub... this works best... no spin of the line..

your twitchy feel may not be directly due to tire tractyion.. your car may be to agressive setup wise.. or even tire compounds.. you may have the proper compounds, but some are harder and softer then they are shored...i also recomend using the same tire traction as the majority does... using a different brand, will effect your grip.. when a groove is laid down, the majority tire track will work better.. when you use a diff kind, it is almost like mixing it with another..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:34 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

well if u run a lap around the track slowly it takes the extra stuff off and warm the tires up a little. Some traction compounds make the tires wear out quicker. Cause i bought 2 sets of tires. i ran half traction compound on the front and u could see the shiny part of the tire on the outside and u could see the dull color of the inside of the tire. Just be carefull with what traction compound u use. I would suggest to try to setup your car with out the traction compound. cause if u do u dont have to worry about this stuff. lol

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

if you want to be fast you will need tire suace.. trust me it doesnt work well without it.. ive been running foams for 17 years,.. you dont show up with out it.. tire sauce is use for a few things.. softening the tire, and keeping the tir conditioned.. if you dont use any your tires will be dry, and change every week as they dry more and more..

tire sauce and a good setup makes tires last longer... i get 5 weeks out of a set of foams.. i use paragon..it is the most abusive to tires...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote