R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Setup board prototype, feedback wanted

Ok racers, I have built a prototype setup board I'm considering putting into production and would appreciate your.....creative criticism/feedback/input!
I am currently researching vendors that may provide discounts on bulk purchases, as the materials alone on this prototype may intimidate the weaker hearted RC enthusiast! Please read this entire thread before responding, as some of your questions may be answered in the following. Thank you!
In particular, I am looking for the following info:
1) What would you be willing to pay?
2) What (if any, or just leave empty pigtails) connector end installed to power up?
3) 1/8 scale also?
Here are the specs:
- Board is constructed of solid 1/2" acrylic.
- Green LED light strip on this one (green, red, blue, yellow & white would be available).
- Any 12 volt power source can be used.
- Wrapped in aluminum frame.
- Adjustable leveler feet on all 4 corners.
- All holes for hardware mounting are tapped.
- 1/10 scale application.
- Acrylic cylinder car stand (as seen in pic) would come with every board.
I look forward to getting some feedback, and appreciate anyone who takes the time to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Setup board prototype, feedback wanted-img_1288.jpg   Setup board prototype, feedback wanted-img_1270.jpg   Setup board prototype, feedback wanted-img_1287.jpg   Setup board prototype, feedback wanted-img_1277.jpg   Setup board prototype, feedback wanted-img_1276.jpg  

flyrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

My first Thought is it needs some markings on it for alignment and measure Possibly clear decal with just some increments on it.

Love the Idea The cost may be prohibitive but just looking at a small run of this I would peg it at about $100

How Much would I like to spend on something like this........ That's a tough one from pics from the internet only No more than $50.... get samples out to Hobby stores and it looks and works as good as I think it might then you'd get you full price.

Just my opinion,

But I do Like it a lot

Could also use a level bubble for easy setup.

Have you thought of using a back light sheet like from a laptop? I tried to add one so one of my projects but the voltage can be a bit tricky to get right. But works way better and almost too bright.

Well Done

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'd agree with markings. Although you can buy the hudy sticker markings (I think it's clear) separate. I would pay $20-$50 MORE, then the board for another manufacturer. Just because it lights up and is totally cool. For the colours, could you use all in one LEDs that would let you select the colour? That would increase the colour options, and make it just one SKU for you. Also, if I was purchasing and the colour I wanted wasn't in stock I would be much less likely to buy. The other practical benefit, is a colour, while very cool, wouldn't be as helpful reading gauges and lines as white, so being able to swap with a button would be awesome.

If you put connectors on, maybe use deans or tamiya? Otherwise, leave one off.

Overall I love the idea, I'd happily lay down $100-$130 maybe for one.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Would I pay alot of money for it? No. Do I think its awesome? Yes. I'm sure you will be able to move them if the price is not to high.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Since it's made of acrylic, how does it hold up to tire preps like paragon [black can], Jack, etc?

If you haven't tested it against cracking with those kinds of chemicals we use in every RC pit in the country, it's just an overly shiny display board.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback so far, it's exactly what I was looking for! Keep it coming, I'm listening!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Switching to glass is a must do update.

you will then need to alter the mounting to the alu frame. Rubber list of some kind probably.
MatsNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeadman View Post
My first Thought is it needs some markings on it for alignment and measure Possibly clear decal with just some increments on it.

Love the Idea The cost may be prohibitive but just looking at a small run of this I would peg it at about $100

How Much would I like to spend on something like this........ That's a tough one from pics from the internet only No more than $50.... get samples out to Hobby stores and it looks and works as good as I think it might then you'd get you full price.

Just my opinion,

But I do Like it a lot

Could also use a level bubble for easy setup.

Have you thought of using a back light sheet like from a laptop? I tried to add one so one of my projects but the voltage can be a bit tricky to get right. But works way better and almost too bright.

Well Done
Originally I thought I would just leave it blank, but many are suggesting the setup lines. For copyright reasons, I didn't want to apply one in the pics, but I'm working on a solution. I'm testing some decal/skin products from a local grahic design company that would not only have a setup scheme, but provide protection against the nuclear waste sauce we all love to smell ! Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Its a nice looking piece, the colored led is a nice touch. What it needs:
1 As mentioned setup markings are a must
2 Also mentioned it needs a leveling bubble, no point in having adjustable feet if you cannot tell when its level.

The suggestion to switch to glass is a no go, unless you want to be sued when someone slices their wrist after breaking the board. I have made and custome painted boards like this using acrylic and thay have held up just fine so far to day-to-day use/chemicals. I've only redone one pit board and that customer wanted another because his got all scratched up, not due to any cracking or solvet issues.

As to what I'd pay, $50ish but I doubt you can produce and make a profit margin at that.

Good luck with the venture.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Chris! I'm making some design revisions based on some feedback. Making the leveler legs adjustable from the top & laser etching setup increments on the top. I agree built in bubble levels would be nice, but I'm concerned about the "infraction effect" as it would be mounted on the underside. For under $5, a pocket level can be purchased at any hardware store & give an accurate reading of the actual surface (not sub-surface) on which the car is being worked on. What's everyone think so far?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Boards

Brandon in Minnesota is already producing these boards!
http://genesisrcraceway.com/grc.html#onroadsetup

They are awesome!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder View Post
For under $5, a pocket level can be purchased at any hardware store & give an accurate reading of the actual surface (not sub-surface) on which the car is being worked on. What's everyone think so far?
If the customer still needs to go through the hassle of buying a pocket level, then I'd be very much annoyed. I think you really need to find a good way of mounting the level so it would come with the set.
mailboxck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
Brandon in Minnesota is already producing these boards!
http://genesisrcraceway.com/grc.html#onroadsetup

They are awesome!
They are similar, but I'm looking to add a few more bells & whistles! Thanks for the heads up though!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailboxck View Post
If the customer still needs to go through the hassle of buying a pocket level, then I'd be very much annoyed. I think you really need to find a good way of mounting the level so it would come with the set.
Ok, due to popular demand, back to the drawing board!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Ok, I'm getting close to having a price put together