Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
ROAR Rule 8.2.3 regarding shorty packs >

ROAR Rule 8.2.3 regarding shorty packs

ROAR Rule 8.2.3 regarding shorty packs

Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Road car has many different design objectives and constrants compared with a RC car.

IMO there would be very little to gain from having the battery under the chassi in an RC car as this would lift the entire CG.

IMO the best evolution I have seen recently is the awesomatix IMO it has taken a big step forward with suspension design lowering CG and allowing for lower profile bonnet creating higher levels of downforce.

Whilst the bodies are not available yet I'm sure in time they will be.

I think going to smaller packs and having a more central mounted motor resulting in a better polar moment is the next step but time will tell.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
That is an option...but 1/12th has always been 8mins...do we increase that to 12mins? Something to consider though...with lighter cars and the same time we should see a decrease in tire wear, for club racers that would be great...especially on asphalt.
I just want to let you know how FUN it was when we did this. and we DID it on 4200 round cells and brushed motors in 1/12th. 15 min qualies and 20 minute mains. I dunno 4 years ago now? Was AWESOME.

Added no time to club racing. turns out getting guys to the stand and "racer minutes" is what takes up all the time, not the actual racing. Guess who complained the most? the corner marshals did, "Hey, how come we have to corner for 20 minutes and you only had to corner us for 5? HAHA!

Would you rather have 65 minutes of track time per race day... or 20? and THAT gets you 3 times more track time on race day. 3 TIMES!

No reason not to do it a club level. I enjoyed it a LOT.

I haven't tried it with lipo and brushless, I'm sure it would be no trouble at all.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
I just want to let you know how FUN it was when we did this. and we DID it on 4200 round cells and brushed motors in 1/12th. 15 min qualies and 20 minute mains. I dunno 4 years ago now? Was AWESOME.

Added no time to club racing. turns out getting guys to the stand and "racer minutes" is what takes up all the time, not the actual racing. Guess who complained the most? the corner marshals did, "Hey, how come we have to corner for 20 minutes and you only had to corner us for 5? HAHA!

Would you rather have 65 minutes of track time per race day... or 20? and THAT gets you 3 times more track time on race day. 3 TIMES!

I haven't tried it with lipo and brushless, I'm sure it would be no trouble at all.
Im getting 40mins run time in 17.5T with 3800 packs and have 10 min races, i would prefer to load up with 6000 packs and have 30 min races, the same as we have in nitro. We have the technology to do it, so maybe its time to rebuild it into the 6million dollar man.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer

This could also return us to the golden age of conservative driving. Imagine having to worry about dumping again! Going out and having to pace yourself to make sure you didn't hit the votage cut-off would be AWESOME!!!

I miss the days of having to drive smoothly, and efficiently to ensure you were fast at the end, rather than full-on strapped from wire to wire.........
Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Champion

I guess I should premise that...the F1 race I used to organize was a 45min main so I am no stranger to longer runs in electric. But for those of us not running on carpet running longer mains is going to wear out tires faster. I'm having a hard enough time convincing drivers to drive 1/12th as it is...throw in more tire wear and it is going to get even tougher. I enjoy the longer mains but it seems the foam tires these days don't seem to last as long as they used to on asphalt.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
This could also return us to the golden age of conservative driving. Imagine having to worry about dumping again! Going out and having to pace yourself to make sure you didn't hit the votage cut-off would be AWESOME!!!

I miss the days of having to drive smoothly, and efficiently to ensure you were fast at the end, rather than full-on strapped from wire to wire.........
Or (as was brought up by a couple of high level mod guys in Vegas) start making the batteries smaller! Less run time. Maybe have a little strategy to the race. Road racing has turned into tractor pulling, just pin it and hope for a full pull. Dumping needs to come back. The cars need to slow down anyways. We need less mAh, not more. As someone who has been around the racing scene for 25 or so years, and has seen the glory days come and go, I can say this. As the mAh go up and the speeds increase, the attendance has gone down. It gets hidden by the fact that we now have 25 classes at every race, but the actual number of racers has dropped.

Flame away flamers.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
Otherwise ROAR has generally done a good job, but this rule was obviously rushed into place as a reaction to The CRC Gen Xi, and the possibilities it raised in design.
This statement is 100% wrong.

We talked to ROAR. When this rule was made, it had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with on-road. Nothing. It was all about off-road. The shorty pack is legal. The Gen XI is legal. So enough already. There is no longer a need to continue to beat a dead horse for weeks on end. I can't take it anymore.

Maybe everyone needs to turn off their computer or try going to a track and racing. Leave your misinformed opinions at the door, pay your entry fee and have some fun.

Enough already.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dumper
The shorty pack is legal. The Gen XI is legal. So enough already. There is no longer a need to continue to beat a dead horse for weeks on end. I can't take it anymore.

Maybe everyone needs to turn off their computer or try going to a track and racing. Leave your misinformed opinions at the door, pay your entry fee and have some fun.

Enough already.
+1
Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Or (as was brought up by a couple of high level mod guys in Vegas) start making the batteries smaller! Less run time. Maybe have a little strategy to the race. Road racing has turned into tractor pulling, just pin it and hope for a full pull. Dumping needs to come back. The cars need to slow down anyways. We need less mAh, not more. As someone who has been around the racing scene for 25 or so years, and has seen the glory days come and go, I can say this. As the mAh go up and the speeds increase, the attendance has gone down. It gets hidden by the fact that we now have 25 classes at every race, but the actual number of racers has dropped.

Flame away flamers.
Preach on Brother Dumper, Preach on!!! I remember when a big race with 300 entries meant that there were 300 different drivers. Now, some races with 300 entries pan out to only 125 guys, with folks running Stock and Superstock, in 12th scale and TC.

I distinctly remember some racer last year signed up for 6 classes at one event. Who was that moron anyway?

We talked to ROAR. When this rule was made, it had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with on-road. Nothing. It was all about off-road. The shorty pack is legal. The Gen XI is legal. So enough already. There is no longer a need to continue to beat a dead horse for weeks on end. I can't take it anymore.

Enough already.
Agreed.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Actually, it was 7.

And I made all 7 a mains.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Actually, it was 7.

And I made all 7 a mains.
Nice!

I entered 4 classes at iic this year, and pretty much sucked in all of them
Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

Just make the races longer...
Old 11-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

I'd be good with longer mains.

Seems like everyone thought it was a good idea when TC went from 4 to 5 to 6min. mains and now everyone seems to be scared of going longer due to the high temps you have to pull in blinky to get the most out of your motor. The answer to that is gear lighter, go slower, race longer.

At the risk of beating this dead horse further, I still like to race boosted so much that I'll typically just not enter a class if my only option is blinky, but a 20min. practice run still doesn't dump my 5000mAh pack, and temps are only 10F higher than a 6min race run. I'd much rather spend more time on the track than the pits.

Foam 1/12 at my local carpet track, the tires fall off pretty heavily after the sauce is gone around the 10min. mark, but longer mains would bring the focus back to the driver there too.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Last edited by PitNamedGordie; 11-18-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Enough already.
Ok, because of the timing, I may have picked the wrong car as the target, but the rest of the post stands. The wording of this rule leaves it wide open to abuse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.