R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I asked an Excomm representative about that exact layout. The chassis has to accept that size battery, but the electronics (esc, rx for example) are not considered part of the chassis.
Thanks for the clarification Rob. Now we're gettin' somewhere, as the "electronics are not considered part of the chassis" makes the rule far less vague. If that is the interpretation of the rule, I have ZERO issues with it.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #122
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950 View Post
Is ROAR even very relevant anymore? The three biggest carpet races in the US, Snowbirds, IIC, and Cleveland, do not use ROAR rules, or use modified versions of ROAR rules. None of the electric TC or 1/12TH nats was as well attended as these races.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
People go to the ones that seem to have the best location, setup, and the most coverage.
and this!

I say let the short packs run. As someone mentioned there are still minimum weight requirements. If a consumer wants to purchase a vehicle designed to run a specific battery, electronics, etc. who are we to tell them how to spend their money? The size of a pack is not going to create an imbalanced playing field, their are plenty of other things doing that already...

ROAR tech is already a nightmare at regional and national events, why complicate it further?

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #123
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
It would be the best thing that could possibly happen, you only get to a national event by winning a regional. You'd get more people to club race (which is all most of us want). and you'd get people outside your region that might take in your race just for a spot at the nationals (that they missed during their race). Now YOUR regionals is important enough to travel to. you'd see some big names that missed their local chance, having to hit some smaller events just to qualify. that's a big plus from a bring money into the club perspective.

YES, but.....ROAR....

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #124
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950 View Post
Is ROAR even very relevant anymore?
Of course ROAR isn't relevant. That's why one rule has created 4 pages....

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #125
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

First we limit speed controls because they are TOO hard to program..........now we are limiting chassis design cause someone MIGHT make a special chassis that only fits the smaller packs? Really?

So my JRXS is not legal? I mean, a car made 5+ years ago is suddenly banned? The Losi 22 as I read the rule is banned in some configurations......nice.

Further more, if I make parts that make it fit, is that considered legal? Who determines what a modification is?

And more........a company who say produces both batteries and a chassis, could produce at max size battery that possibly might not fit in a competitors car, thus making it illegal.........AWESOME!

Sorry ROAR, but this is among the dumbest things I have ever heard. I thought the ban all programmable speed control proposal was gonna take the cake, but you broke new ground with this one.

Can we please have Dawn Sanchez back? (yeah, I just said that)

Later EddieO
Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #126
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Whatever ROAR does, there will be people berating it. There will also be people asking why ROAR didn't fix this or that, or see such and such coming.

I think you need to ask yourself "am I against this because it might affect something I want or I do ?" Then ask yourself will this be helpful to the majority of racers and hobbyshops and/or manufacturers.

Do you think LHS guys want to carry specific batteries for every car? Do you think manufacturers want to make them? Sure everybody pays their money and takes their choice, but why is there the need to make everything as complicated as possible? That is what drives people away.

It's just a rule to keep one part that every single electric car needs to run semi uniform.

BTW your losi is legal in any configuration

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #127
Tech Regular

ffs.. as presented is NOT out of the box from manufacturer, its presented at tech check on raceday..

if it was out of the box from the manufacturer ROAR would have to get the chassies inn for a tech check and make a list similar to the battery and motor lists.

that would make it impossible to make your own car. or modify your own car. and many does do a little bit of modifying.
MatsNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #128
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
1. Do you think LHS guys want to carry specific batteries for every car?

2. Do you think manufacturers want to make them?

3. Sure everybody pays their money and takes their choice, but why is there the need to make everything as complicated as possible? That is what drives people away.
1. No

2. Yes

3. Not necessarily, Any individual would still be able to run their older equipment, possibly at a disadvantage, maybe not. Some people thrive on tuning, tinkering, and working on their stuff. Over simplification is just as likely to drive those people out, and as I see it, those folks are the lifers in this hobby. I know the forthcoming argument will be "Just run Mod" but that ship sailed when Mod cars became more than even the most talented of hobbyist level racers could actually drive....

Just my opinion.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #129
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Of course ROAR isn't relevant. That's why one rule has created 4 pages....

availability: SOLD OUT
Old 11-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #130
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

ROAR = Clownshoes

I thought after almost getting killed because of roar's decision to not call the Last round of qualifying at the Onroad nats was a dumb decision. You know the one where we warned them to call the race as lightning was crashing down within yards of the track and they made us stay on the stand and attempt to finish the mod runs. And thus causing thousands of dollars of equipment damage of peoples stuff to all to have to rerun mod in the morning anyways? Yeah that one.

Roar is not looking out for anyone best interests. They constantly make dumb uninformed decisions and shoot from the hip.

This is just another in the long line of hey why not's in ROAR's storied past.

Reactionary stupidity at its finest. Quite an organization.

EA was probably the best thing that happened to ROAR in the last 5 years and they kicked him out because he had an opinion. That right there should speak volumes for the organization as a whole.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #131
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
Touring Car can use shorty battery ?
Yes, I used a losi 22 lipo at the Reedy race in a mi4cx and made the main
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #132
Tech Fanatic

If you look back at the history of rc car development during the past 30 years you will find that we went from either aluminum, or plastic, or fiberglass chassis, to carbon fiber/graphite chassis. We went from mechanical wiper arm speed controls to electronic speed controls. We went from AM radios to FM, to todays 2.4ghz radios with multi channels and features. We went from basically one type and compound of tire to rubber, to foam, and multiple combinations of compounds that are vastly superior. We went from nicad batteries to nimh to lipos. We went from brushed motors to brushless.

Was all of this considered progress? Absolutely! Has ROAR adopted all of these things? Yes they have! Is it good for the hobby/sport overall? I certainly think so.

However, basic chassis layout and overall car design hasn't changed very much at all in 30 years. There have been improvements in chassis material and suspension design, etc. but overall the car design is still pretty much the same. Stagnant!! Why? because as I stated in an earlier post: the two main components that dictate overall chassis layout are the motor and battery pack. they are the biggest and heaviest components on the car. Change their size and weight and we begin to free things up in chassis design. All I'm saying is that I think we are way overdue for some fresh ideas and design concepts with regards to rc cars. Smaller, more compact and lighter lipo battery configurations and smaller can size motors that produce the same power as current 540 can motors will allow designers the freedom to change chassis design to move rc cars into the 21st century. That is why I'm against ROARs' kneejerk reactionary ruling concerning the "shorty" packs and which cars and which configurations they are allowed in.

Someone pointed out on this thread that the "lifers" are the ones who stick with the rc racing and like/enjoy the technology and advancements. They would likely embrace new ideas and concepts in chassis design. Myself and many others go on forums like this nearly every day looking to see what new cars or parts are coming from the manufacturers, we want to see new things, fresh ideas, etc. In F1 rc racing 3 Racing just released the FGX which is 2wd and has independent rear suspension. Very scale looking! That car is selling out everywhere! Why? Not necessarily because it is better than the Tamiya F1 car or even 3 Racings other more conventional car the F109; but rather because it is different, it is fresh, it is more scale realistic. Whether it will prove to be as fast as the other conventional F1 cars is yet to be seen; it is just too new yet, and it does have a couple of flaws. But that really doesn't matter at this point. We like to see fresh ideas, and we will generally spend our money on them.

Calandras' new 1/12 car that uses the "shorty" pack is going to be popular. Is it better than all the rest? I don't know, maybe. But it is at least a little different and points the way for car designers hopefully starting to "think outside the box" and try more new chassis design ideas.

I think in the long run, change will be good for this hobby/sport. We shouldn't try to stunt it.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #133
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

In just skimming over the last 20 or so posts here I can see that most of you (nearly all) have missed the point of this rule.

The rule is about the "car" not so much the battery.

"If a car/chassis cannot fit a battery of the maximum dimensions (per the ROAR rules) it is deemed illegal for ROAR sanctioned events."

You can run any ROAR approved battery as long as it fits the rules for that class of course.

What I see is that it quashes any attempt for XYZ manufacturer to monopolize their chassis to run THEIR battery only. (i.e. a T shaped battery or something along those lines)

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #134
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
In just skimming over the last 20 or so posts here I can see that most of you (nearly all) have missed the point of this rule.

"If a car/chassis cannot fit a battery of the maximum dimensions (per the ROAR rules) it is deemed illegal for ROAR sanctioned events."

You can run any ROAR approved battery as long as it fits the rules for that class of course.

What I see is that it quashes any attempt for XYZ manufacturer to monopolize their chassis to run THEIR battery only. (i.e. a T shaped battery or something along those lines)
Wow! Somebody gets it.
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #135
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Wow! Somebody gets it.
What neither of you seems to get is that "As presented" is as clear as mud, and several already illustrated cases clearly show as being able to be interperted both ways. If ROAR wrote the rule, ROAR should give clear and concise definitions and implementation guidance.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote