R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!

hey guys im new to 1/10 scale rc cars, last rc i had was a xmod.

Recently I had the urge to go out and buy a rc car and I was pointed towards HPI and on road cars. I normally love to get the best so I asked for the fastest car that was in that area and the nice people at "Big Boys with Cool Toys" pointed me towards the sprint 2 flux.

got home, and looked at the charger only to find out that they gave me the wrong charger head witch did not connect to the battery, so went back, got a free convertion wire and charged the battery for 8 hours

I did the binding and everything was going right untill i drove the car...

it turns perfect, responds to every touch of the steering, when i press the throttle, the car lags.... i go full throttle and it responds for 0.2 seconds and then stops, it barely wants to go but it will turn on command. what am i doing wrong here? please help!

anddddd where can i get different bodies for the car? im looking for ones with real headlights and taillights because i do night driving sometimes

-HPI sprint 2 flux, camaro drift body on volk te37s
drkstr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

no one can help?

Old 11-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Give us the low down on your kit, makes, models etc. It doesn't sound right that you charged the battery for 8 hours for a start
scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:32 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Taking a total guess here... but if its a wall charger you have, then 8hrs isnt enough, they are typically like 20hrs. A 12v charger would only take an hour or so to charge the pack from flat, so if its one of those its either faulty or a dead battery.

Its probably low voltage cut off or something, battery doesnt have enough charge to run the motor, but does have enough to run the steering.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and its a dead esc/motor.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well it wont have a low voltage cut if the battery isnt a lipo....... the speedie will be a dumb unit I would say and even at 8 hours it will have enough voltage to move the vechile but not fast for any period of time...... first work out what sort of battery it is wether its a nimh or nicd or lipo (highly unlikely)

then get a cheaper version of a computerized charger... the turnigy and the bmax6 are the same charger on the inside so either or. Make sure if you are to use lipo batteries have a new speed control that has a cut off capability as its a safe way not to lose your car to a fire....

Then if all from what I have typed you have sorted and you have some radio signal as the steering works but the motor doesnt well it still could mean the reciever box that the power comes fomr the speed control still might not half enough power to run the reciever right so the signal applications running back thru the signal wires will not have enough power to run the speed control properly even tho the servo is working as the speed control signal needs to be atleast double in strength

Hope this helps and anymore just ask
Rgeards
Fordy
Old 11-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Tech Master

Check the bullet connectors on the ESC. Give them each a little twist. It could be just a bad contact. Sensorless motors tend to cog like that sometimes, but will be awful if one of the phases is not getting a good connection.

I'm in the west end of Toronto. If you continue to experience problems with it, pm me. We can probably meet up or I might be able to help you out over the phone. I'd suggest bringing it back to BBWCT, but I doubt they'll be much help.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

its a really crappy looking wall charger, i went back to the store again and said that it was bs and for them to figure out whats wrong with it, they fucked up like 10 times in a row.

as of now i left the car with them and they should be calling me tommrow to pick up the car and tell me whats wrong, i think that the battery wasent charged enough and that the stupid charger they gave me is the clip style for smaller battries.

BTW i bought a HPI sprint 2 flux, vektor 5900, 8.4v plazma 3300mAh battery

apprently the "HPI company" screwd up and they gave me a wall charger for 7.2v batteries with the old school clip design, does this sound right?

and i asked if they could give me a different body and they said they can give me thier display camaro drift body instend of the bumble bee camaro that looks pretty gay in yellow.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Tech Master

Last year those cars didn't come with a charger at all. I would assume any included charger would be crap and probably not capable of charging LiPo, but it should at least have the same connector as the ESC.

You should be able to fit just about any 200mm or 190mm body, depending on the tires. Generally stores don't just give you a different body. You purchase them separately.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It sounds a lot like battery. If its 8.4v 3300, it sounds like the 7cell nimh Hpi use to make their cars go faster, it's an option on a bunch of their kits. The esc and battery look like a deans connector (red, with terminals like " - | ") and the "clip connector" sounds like maybe a tamiya plug? Is it white, with a little clip on the top middle?

Being very new to the hobby, and if your only drifting or bashing, stick to nimh battery's (typically listed as 7.2v), lipos (listed as 7.4v) do need a lot more care then nimh, and I'd miss treated are more dangerous.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Last year those cars didn't come with a charger at all. I would assume any included charger would be crap and probably not capable of charging LiPo, but it should at least have the same connector as the ESC.

You should be able to fit just about any 200mm or 190mm body, depending on the tires. Generally stores don't just give you a different body. You purchase them separately.
Lol they gave me a different body , wheels and tires because they had the drift body on a actual flux system and they were like oh sorry, that's not soposed to be on there but If you'd like we can give you the display model body wheels and tires

Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think your problem is because your esc isnt set for the included 8.4v nimh battery. I have a friend who recently got the hpi efirestorm flux (came with same esc/motor/battery you did) and i had to make up a connector to charge the included pack, because the battery comes with deans connectors and the wall charger has a tamiya plug. Also i think those esc's comes stock setup for lipo packs, so the included pack wont work properly with the esc out of the box. So ya when we went to drive it with the included battery it steered fine, buuuut it drove just like what your describing. Once i changed it over for him the thing ripppped! So anyways it will show you in the hpi manual how to set the esc for the proper battery type you wanna use. I hope this fixes your problem.
Souk is offline   Reply With Quote