R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #16
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
...What this means in real terms is that electric motors launch from a stand still faster and this makes them harder to control and feel very fast but they do not have the power of a IC 1/10 engines and do not produce the same straight line speed...
Not sure about that. A competition 1/10 electric TC on a 1/8 track will do 70MPH+. On our local indoor track 52MPH is about as fast as you can go.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,059
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Not sure about that. A competition 1/10 electric TC on a 1/8 track will do 70MPH+. On our local indoor track 52MPH is about as fast as you can go.
And what will a nitro tourer do on the same track 80MPH+?

On the track I was talking about before 1/10 track, nitro cars were measured one day and they were peaking at about 112km/hr. (electrics were not running on the same day and they were not performing speed measurements the next day) Rough estimate on gearing for the 1/8th track with the 1/10th nitro tourer would put them at about 130km/hr.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 AM   #18
Tech Addict
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I think with a 2.5t motor and a pan car with direct axle drive. Nitro doesn't stand a chance in terms of acceleration or top speed.

No drive chain to speak of, just stupidly high rpm on the axle.
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #19
M7H
Tech Elite
 
M7H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
I think with a 2.5t motor and a pan car with direct axle drive. Nitro doesn't stand a chance in terms of acceleration or top speed.

No drive chain to speak of, just stupidly high rpm on the axle.
I think with that same 2WD pan car powered by a gas engine, electric doesn't stand a chance...

Comparisation is only fair if you compare on the same platform....
But then again, as already said, with a gas car you come in for refuelling, and continu, an electric car needs to cool down!.....

No, gas powered cars are still way faster then electric powered cars, I'm sorry guys.....
__________________
Serpent
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 AM   #20
Tech Master
 
2wdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,316
Default

Even though i hate to admit it i have to agree with m7h . 1/8 nitro onroad is difficult to beat on 1/8 circuit. On 1/10 circuits it will probably be another matter but no one over here is driving nitro on 1/10 circuits, not even 1/10 nitro.

Depending on the circuit a pro10 with a lola and a 6t-7t delta can beat a 1/8laptimes but it is only for 5 minutes.
__________________
www.rc-lemans.de
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:54 AM   #21
Tech Addict
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
Even though i hate to admit it i have to agree with m7h . 1/8 nitro onroad is difficult to beat on 1/8 circuit. On 1/10 circuits it will probably be another matter but no one over here is driving nitro on 1/10 circuits, not even 1/10 nitro.

Depending on the circuit a pro10 with a lola and a 6t-7t delta can beat a 1/8laptimes but it is only for 5 minutes.

Pro 10 is wicked for an Electric class, they look just as fast as 1/8th Nitro to me, and the lap times are impressive as you've said.

I deffinately stand by the fact that you can get better top end from an electric vs nitro though.
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 AM   #22
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 528
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Mod pro10 is faster then 1/8 nitro on the track... and we do pass them on the straight. I even think 10.5 with advanced timing will be quite competitive against them.
I think you're forgetting we have a much better power/weight ratio + very high efficiency on both motor and drive train (also our motors make a lot more rpm).

The only thing I saw that was faster was a 1/8 converted to electric with a 1/8 system and a 4 (or 6??)S lipo. Now that thing had power!
__________________
Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot.
Quante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:07 AM   #23
M7H
Tech Elite
 
M7H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quante View Post
Mod pro10 is faster then 1/8 nitro on the track... and we do pass them on the straight. I even think 10.5 with advanced timing will be quite competitive against them.
I think you're forgetting we have a much better power/weight ratio + very high efficiency on both motor and drive train (also our motors make a lot more rpm).

The only thing I saw that was faster was a 1/8 converted to electric with a 1/8 system and a 4 (or 6??)S lipo. Now that thing had power!
I'm not doubting that, but on the exact same platform, nitro is still faster then electric.....
I have also converted one of my 1/8 cars into a 6S lipo driven rocket, but it lacks corner speed compared to nitro driven.
But again, if we come to runtime, nitro beats the hell out of electric....
__________________
Serpent
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #24
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,301
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

I've raced 1/10 electric in a 1/10 nitro class at a 1/8 scale sized track, 250' back straight. I always out qualified the nitro cars in the 5 minute quals at the time. And it would make the 30 minute main with pack changes without overheating the motor. I would get about 7 minutes to a 5000 mah pack. I was running a 2s lipo with a 3.5 duo. Had NO problem with top speed against the nitro cars. The great thing is, the drivers I was running against just about always beat me inside on the carpet. So how's that for comparing apples to apples?
__________________
Chris Lockhart

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #25
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,301
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Also, if nitro was faster, don't you think all the guys running insane speed runs trying to set world records for the fastest rc car would run them instead of electric?
__________________
Chris Lockhart

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #26
M7H
Tech Elite
 
M7H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
So how's that for comparing apples to apples?
1350 grams electric car, against 1750 grams nitro car, I guess...

Again, not comparable.....
__________________
Serpent
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #27
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
I think with that same 2WD pan car powered by a gas engine, electric doesn't stand a chance...

Comparisation is only fair if you compare on the same platform....
But then again, as already said, with a gas car you come in for refuelling, and continu, an electric car needs to cool down!.....

No, gas powered cars are still way faster then electric powered cars, I'm sorry guys.....
Actually there were a few pan car conversions to nitro back in the day...they were pretty slow in comparison to the electrics. With nitro you would eventually hit the gearing limit of the engine and you could go no faster...with electric you can keep adding cells and go faster.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #28
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern & Central Illinois
Posts: 4,337
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

According to this article: http://inventors.about.com/od/estart...c-Vehicles.htm

Electric cars were on the road before fuel powered cars. Baker Electrics held the speed record at Daytona for some time.

Just throwing this in for a chuckle or two. Very few people today know that electric cars outperformed fuel cars in the early 1900s.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #29
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
I'm not doubting that, but on the exact same platform, nitro is still faster then electric.....
I have also converted one of my 1/8 cars into a 6S lipo driven rocket, but it lacks corner speed compared to nitro driven.
But again, if we come to runtime, nitro beats the hell out of electric....
Only when you refuel. A legal size nitro tank will run dry way before a legal size battery will.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #30
Tech Regular
 
For_the_win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa,Fl
Posts: 362
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
1350 grams electric car, against 1750 grams nitro car, I guess...

Again, not comparable.....
Hes made because no matter what nirto he runs, some guy will show up with an electric version and win..

Oh and btw your little statement on your 6s rocket pan car. You cant corner because you probably didnt set it up.
For_the_win is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread. old_skoolie Australian Racing 22990 Yesterday 12:58 AM
Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits. DJ1978 Electric Off-Road 19923 06-12-2017 06:16 AM
Adelaide Electric Radio Control Car Club Inc penmark67 Australian Racing 6824 07-10-2014 05:51 AM
Hpi Usa '04 Challenge - Or Lack Of One treky11 Racing Forum 256 01-13-2005 11:12 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:53 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net