Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Trinity Motor issues.... >

Trinity Motor issues....

Trinity Motor issues....

Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)
Default Trinity Motor issues....

I am having issues advancing the timing on my D3. This is the second motor i have tried to do this on and have been unsucessful both times. I loosen the 3 screws that are on the endbell (where the solder tabs are) and i cant get the endbell to turn. I tried to rotate the center (where the screws are) and the outside (where the ticks are) and it seems they just wont move.

I even tried loosening all the screws.

Apparently i am doing something wrong. Please help.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXX8ight
I am having issues advancing the timing on my D3. This is the second motor i have tried to do this on and have been unsucessful both times. I loosen the 3 screws that are on the endbell (where the solder tabs are) and i cant get the endbell to turn. I tried to rotate the center (where the screws are) and the outside (where the ticks are) and it seems they just wont move.

I even tried loosening all the screws.

Apparently i am doing something wrong. Please help.
I purchased one of the very first D3's that came out and I had the same issue. I had to remove the three screws and the timing cover completely. Now being able to see what was happening, I placed my hex wrench through the screw hole in the timing ring and with some firm force got the ring to move. Once I had it where I wanted it, I replaced the cover and screws. It's a pain in the a** and I hope that the newer versions have been corrected.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Its from a little to much anodizing on the ring or from over tightening the three long screws that hold the motor together. You may have to loosen those three screws along with the timing plate screws. I usually will leave the wrench in the timing screw and use that to turn it. It will turn but takes a little effort. If you have the plate all the way off you can also lightly sand it on the edge and it will spin freely then.

EA
Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

so its the ring that turns? or the center?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

its the center that turns
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 AM
CFR
Tech Regular

mine was the same

remind me which way the timing insert moves for more revs please, left or right when looking at the zero
Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just thought I would chime in and offer a solution - I recently purchased a 13.5t D3, and had the same issue - the only way to adjust the timing was to take off the end bell and make the adjustment. The center ring would not turn at all. A real PITA.

I took the motor apart, and used 600 w/d sandpaper on the edge of the center plate to take it down just a hair until it would rotate freely in the motor end plate. Did that, put it back together, and *poof*, I can adjust timing now without any issues.

The amount I took off was *very* small, and it only took a few minutes. If you do this, just make sure you do it evenly. I held on to the plate, and dragged/rotated it across the sandpaper. Rotate the plate, and do it again. Went around the plate about 3-4 times, checking the fit. You'll know when you get there, as it will turn smoothly once you remove enough material.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CFR
mine was the same

remind me which way the timing insert moves for more revs please, left or right when looking at the zero
anti-clockwise for more timing