R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Default ESC with booster or LIFE pack

Sorry guys, but now I don't understand anymore, at all.

Thought of buying the Hobbywing 120A 1S. (moneywise for sure...)
An esc especially for use with 1S because it has a built in booster.

The esc's you all are talking about are for 2S-3S.
Do these work with 1S LiPo?

So a battery pack is heavier than a booster but wil give a higher voltage to the electronics?
A booster is smaller and lighter than an rx pack but cost more, moneywise?
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Default ESC for WGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
I dont really understand the whole hastle thing of installing a booster. boosters are lighter than rx packs and smaller for the most part. for the tekin all you do is solder the power wire to bat+ and plug it into the rx. cant get simpler.

although, ive heard with other escs you have to unhook certain wires from speed control to rx to make it work.

havent used a lot of equipment. I own two tekins for my TC and 12th and i donts ee any reason id want another, different esc for another car i build. small, simple tow ork on, proven.
- which rx pack?
- which booster?
- you say:"for the tekin all you do is solder the power wire to bat+ and plug it into the rx. cant get simpler." Well, picture me stupid then, because I don't understand. May be some pictures can help? Is it the power wire of the booster? What is "bat+". Is it the + of the LiPo? Can't imagine that.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Default LRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I was and am a fan of the LRP Stock Spec V2 as its performance is exceptional, but only if you intend for it to never break, today is day 21 since I sent it in to them and they haven't serviced it yet.

Nothing new here. Have the same experience on answers on there forum. Apparently not that important to them.
Response in whatever way has gone worse since they have there V2 versions.

Sold my LRP Stock Spec and looking for another brand.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go Novak ESC (Kinectic- Havoc Pro SC with X Drive or the Edge with the tiny Novak Booster. Just solder the red(+) wire to the battery red wire and Black battery wire to black(-).
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
- which rx pack?
- which booster?
- you say:"for the tekin all you do is solder the power wire to bat+ and plug it into the rx. cant get simpler." Well, picture me stupid then, because I don't understand. May be some pictures can help? Is it the power wire of the booster? What is "bat+". Is it the + of the LiPo? Can't imagine that.
No the booster; I'm talking about the TQ booster here; has two leads(+ and -) on one side of the booster and a rec plug on the other side. You solder the pos lead to the pos terminal of the esc and the neg lead to the neg terminal of the esc. Then plug into your receiver and done. Like some others I perfer the booster as I dont have to remember to charge a seperate rec batt every race, also I'm a cheap ass and only have one charger .

While the Tekin was not designed to be a 1s esc as some of the newer entries to the market are, it and others work just fine as long as you use a booster or rec pack. The new esc's that are designed or marketed as 1s esc's have the booster built in which makes the esc footprint bigger. Either way gets the job done, I'm just a big fan of the customer support that Tekin provides.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Default HW Extreme Stock or HW 120A 1S

I want to race WGT 1S LiPo 10.5t
What HW esc best to use.
HW 120A 1S seems to be the obvious choice. But it is a bit heavy.
Would the HW Extreme Stock work? Knowing that is isn't a 1S esc, but 2S-3S.
Would that be a problem?
Could it work with this booster: http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/?p=183

The HW Extreme Stock seems interesting because it is lighter than the HW 120A 1S. But I have heard of problems with the HW Extreme Stock when using 1S LiPo and booster. Is that common? Something to do with the software?

In the specs it says that HW 120A 1S weighs 105g. Someone told me that that is including wires. What does it weigh without wires?

Weight is of the utmost importance for me because I want to be as close to the limit as possible (930g) with a XRay X10 Link and 1S LiPo and mini or micro servo and wires as short as possible. Would 930g be possible with the HW 120A 1S?
Old 03-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
No the booster; I'm talking about the TQ booster here; has two leads(+ and -) on one side of the booster and a rec plug on the other side. You solder the pos lead to the pos terminal of the esc and the neg lead to the neg terminal of the esc. Then plug into your receiver and done. Like some others I perfer the booster as I dont have to remember to charge a seperate rec batt every race, also I'm a cheap ass and only have one charger .

While the Tekin was not designed to be a 1s esc as some of the newer entries to the market are, it and others work just fine as long as you use a booster or rec pack. The new esc's that are designed or marketed as 1s esc's have the booster built in which makes the esc footprint bigger. Either way gets the job done, I'm just a big fan of the customer support that Tekin provides.
do you need to change the lipo cut off seting?