R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle

At 26 degrees Celsius (79F) ambient temperature, my GP3300 peaks at 60 deg. C (F140). This is with 6 amps charge rate and 3 mV pr. cell cut off.
the recommended maximum temperature for Nimh in charge is 45-50C.
adamkerrnz:
when you have both the CDC and your Pulsar Sport in your hands, do a comparison. I'm sure even at 4.5A 18mV cut-off with the CDC, it'll pack 200-300 mAh more charge into your pack than the Pulsar .Of course the cells charged with the CDC will be really warm ,whereas the Pulsar's will just be warm.

I stick to my conclusion that the CDC is overcharging the cells. My last batch of cells were showing 3600+ of charge but only 2800 of discharge when they were cycled on the CDC. They were charged exclusively with the CDC for about 20+ cycles only.

When I used another charger to charge these same packs, I get a peak of only 3000mAh(at 41C), discharge also 2800 on the CDC(the discharge function works well though).

When I used a brand new pack of cells, they were charged to 3500mAh(peak temp 40.5C) on one charger with a discharge capacity of 3300 on the CDC. When I charge the same packs on the CDC it takes 4000+ with the same discharge capacity. Hope you guys get the same conclusion I get.

All cells were fully discharged, tray and rested for at least 6 hours before charge, and cooled for 5 mins after charging, then discharged. The charge rate is 4.5A on both the chargers I tried, and have on the CDC the setting is 18mV/p the other charger is 3mV(recommended setting,but not the minimum setting)

What i do notice is that the cells have plenty of punch when used in racing/driving. Run time seems adversely affected, especially on the 2nd charge of the day.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:56 PM   #32
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

Quote:
The charge rate is 4.5A on both the chargers I tried, and have on the CDC the setting is 18mV/p the other charger is 3mV(recommended setting,but not the minimum setting)

What i do notice is that the cells have plenty of punch when used in racing/driving. Run time seems adversely affected, especially on the 2nd charge of the day.
lee82gx

i just got curious afte reading this
what do you mean by "the other charger is 3mv"? u mean 3mv/pack or 3mv/cell?
because if its 3mv/cell that's the same as saying 18mv/pack

and when you say the cells have plenty of punch, which charger are you talking about? the cdc? both your chargers? the "other" charger?

adamkerrnz
I charge at 6 amps 3mv/cell and don't have much problems with heat.

Cole,

I charge 8x2200s on my cdc and haven't had any problems. but i charge at 1 amp, 3mv/cell cutoff. Sure they heat a bit, but after 30 cycles, still going strong.

just though i'd let you know...

Patrick.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rcnewb2004
lee82gx

i just got curious afte reading this
what do you mean by "the other charger is 3mv"? u mean 3mv/pack or 3mv/cell?
because if its 3mv/cell that's the same as saying 18mv/pack

and when you say the cells have plenty of punch, which charger are you talking about? the cdc? both your chargers? the "other" charger?

adamkerrnz
I charge at 6 amps 3mv/cell and don't have much problems with heat.

Cole,

I charge 8x2200s on my cdc and haven't had any problems. but i charge at 1 amp, 3mv/cell cutoff. Sure they heat a bit, but after 30 cycles, still going strong.

Patrick.
sorry for the confusion,
when i mean there was a lot of punch i meant CDC. I think cos the cells were much warmer at the time i plugged them into the car.

The 'other' charger is set at 3mV per pack. The recommended threshold is 0mV , but i set it a little higher to match the CDC, which is 18mV/pack.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:32 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
sorry for the confusion,
when i mean there was a lot of punch i meant CDC. I think cos the cells were much warmer at the time i plugged them into the car.

The 'other' charger is set at 3mV per pack. The recommended threshold is 0mV , but i set it a little higher to match the CDC, which is 18mV/pack.
lee82gx, thanks for clearing things up - seems like people tend to get excited over all the features, thus overlooking the downside

You cant compare 3 mV pr. pack with 18 mV pr. pack - use the excat same settings (3 mV pr. cell on both chargers) and see what happens.... Sounds very interesting.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:33 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
The mAh setting on the CDC has no effect on charge time.

The only thing it is used for is to calculate the trickle charge rate.

Other than that it is just there as a reminder to yourself for what charger profile you are using.

For example, a deep discharged pack of 3300's can easily charge to 4000mAh when the setting is 3300mAh.
As always, you're the man for clearing things up in a few and accurate words. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:36 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
I use 5mv and haven;t had a problem with temp. It does get warm but doesn't get hot.
Have you measured the actual temperatures? What's the ambient temperature?

When charging in ambient temperature of 15 deg. C (59F), I have absolutely no problems Fortunately, this is what I'm doing most of the time.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:41 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rcnewb2004
Cole,

Patrick.
Hi Patrick

Long time, no talk... I've been out of this for some months now...

Anyway, it seems problems with cut off on certain cells, are smaller with 6-8 cells... I was cycling a no-name 2300 AA cell... and only one...
Old 12-09-2004, 01:50 AM   #38
Tech Elite

I'm actually quite happy with the CDC, but would like it to cut off a little earlier. If Eagle/Integy could change the cut off technique a little, it would be the best cahrger for the money.

Now it charges for 55 seconds, pauses 5 sec., charge 55... If they changed it to 2 or 3 minutes charge, then 5 sec. pause, the charger would have a longer period to look for the voltage drop. It could be made selectable in the menus, like VSEC-1-Punch (the current one) and VSEC-2-Easy, the one I suggest.

To sum it up a little: The CDC has a lot of features for an atractive price. It never false peaks, but at the expense for it tends to overcharge the packs. So be carefull with the cut off setting, and watch the temperature.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:01 AM   #39
Tech Regular

so set the DP low?
adamkerrnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:24 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Yes. And maybe get a temp gun. Which also can be used for measuring track temp (making it easier to pick the right tire) and measure motor temp, to ensure proper gearing.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:37 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
The mAh setting on the CDC has no effect on charge time.

The only thing it is used for is to calculate the trickle charge rate.

It is also used as a basis for cutoff when using the % partial charge function
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:49 AM   #42
Tech Elite

i know i shouldn't compare a 3mV cutoff vs 18mV cutoff, but hey I'm scaling down the recommendation based on the instructions from Eagle racing (recommended 24mV) and I'm scaling up on the recommendation of the other charger's manufacturer(recommended 0mV).
I would seriously like to try a similar cutoff for both but i don't want to damage my packs anymore than they are.
I'll look around for some sacrificable pack later.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:38 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
i know i shouldn't compare a 3mV cutoff vs 18mV cutoff, but hey I'm scaling down the recommendation based on the instructions from Eagle racing (recommended 24mV) and I'm scaling up on the recommendation of the other charger's manufacturer(recommended 0mV).
I would seriously like to try a similar cutoff for both but i don't want to damage my packs anymore than they are.
I'll look around for some sacrificable pack later.
Good point. And if the temperature with the unnamed other charger is just fine, it'll be bad to increase the cut off. I've just ordered the Nosram Sirius charger, because I'm tired of waiting 40-45 minutes for each charge. It'll be interesting to measure the cut off temperature with my temp gun, and compare these two babies
Old 12-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Ok I put 1 cycle through my 'other' charger:
18mV peak cut-off:
Charge : 3554mAh, voltage peak cut-off
Peak temp : 46.7C
Dis @10: 3081mAh

Compared to CDC,18mV cutoff:
Charge : 3880mAh, voltage peak cut-off
Peak Temp: 68C
Dis @10:3104mAh

Discharger is the same, only the charger is different. Pack is the same but the charge with CDC was done some time ago.
They were both trayed with the same equipment, and rested at least 6hrs before charge. After cooling to 40C it was then discharged.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:04 AM   #45
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

YEa but what are the times it takes to discharge(i.e. Runtime) we all know that is a very important number....If your "other" charger is taking less time to discharge than the CDC than you have a real point. I would rather have a pack that has better run time than higher mah discharge. As with my GM Commander, the batteries come off of it much cooler, but the run times are a bit lower also. The CDC packs more into the Batteries, BIG QUESTION But at what cost? I am going ot run some test on some cells I will be getting next week from HK. If you want some good cells www.rcstation.com has some great 3600's I have been using them in my 12th TC and they are great, just ordered more for my 10th scale TC. I will post my results here when I get them. I will run the same cutoffs and same DP and charge rates then discharge them on the CDC and see what is what.
Thanks,
Stephen <><

Quote:
Ok I put 1 cycle through my 'other' charger:
18mV peak cut-off:
Charge : 3554mAh, voltage peak cut-off
Peak temp : 46.7C
Dis @10: 3081mAh

Compared to CDC,18mV cutoff:
Charge : 3880mAh, voltage peak cut-off
Peak Temp: 68C
Dis @10:3104mAh

Discharger is the same, only the charger is different. Pack is the same but the charge with CDC was done some time ago.
They were both trayed with the same equipment, and rested at least 6hrs before charge. After cooling to 40C it was then discharged.
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote