R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2004, 08:59 PM   #16
Tech Master

If a slower car is in front of me I usually ask him to move verbally and post-pass I follow it up with a "Thanks!"

If he doesn't move or he's obviously blocking than I feel justified to lay a bit of bumper.
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:03 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedie
In qualifying the slower cars should let the faster cars have the line. In a race you should be holding your line and making them pass you as long as its for position. If you were on the inside and he hacked you into a pipe it would be his fault. If two cars are side by side you each have to give the other room. The guy on the outside should stay there and the same for the inside guy. Just remember not everyone has the skill to do this and you need to know who you can and who you cannot race that close.
The thing is that the race director sat there and watched his next five laps and the area where he smushed me into the flapper. He said that since he has this line that is consistant threw there, it was my fault for trying to make him change the line. (Everyone has the same line) We race this close all the time and everyone has this same problem with him. No one else has this problem.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:05 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackKat
If a slower car is in front of me I usually ask him to move verbally and post-pass I follow it up with a "Thanks!"

If he doesn't move or he's obviously blocking than I feel justified to lay a bit of bumper.
After this race, I told him and the director that the bumper will be used a lot more.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:56 AM   #19
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Glue your car to his bumper and force him into a mistake, i had similar yesturday with someone aiming for my rear pannel, i got hacked and dropped back a second or so. He was then battling with someone else and i caught the pair, he stuffed his car up and the two of us drove off then.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:33 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crACkeD ChaSsiS Send a message via Yahoo to crACkeD ChaSsiS
Default clean pass!!!!!!!!!11

all i can say is wait for a clean pass an then leave his A$$ in the lap traffic. my 2cents

Steven Alexander
crACkeD ChaSsiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:54 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nick111

clean passes and leaving people in the dust is not always an option, ecspecially in an Amain when its the best of the best. bottom line is sometime you have to do a little shoving and sometimes let a little off. Friday i had a bad case of this. i had TQ in the first qualifier and lost it in the 2nd ( guy was in different heat) i only lost it by 2 seconds so i figured id pour it on in the 3rd qualifier. all is going well consisent laps and then coming up on traffic i came up on some guy that doesnt move for anyone. and keep in mid this is offroad so bumps and ruts are not uncommon. i come into a "S" section that ends with a hairpin to the straight. naturally i slide through the s and come up on him half way into the hairpin. he nails the breaks and i slam into him wacking both of us into a pipe. the marshall put him back first so for the rest of the race it was pass and crash. so no TQ for me i just thought id share that
Old 12-06-2004, 10:54 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to T-Money86mcss

Yeah for real, with intermediate to expert level racers, the leader has the right of way in the main, it is up to the cars behind him to make a CLEAN pass. Of course if the leader is slower and blocking, that is a different story, in that case dont be scared of a little contact; its better for you to hit his car than the wall.

Above all, if you are faster and are right behind the leader, you should take your time, setup a pass, and try to do it as clean as possible. You dont have to put your car side by side with the other guy as soon as you catch him.
T-Money86mcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:04 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking Clean Line, Clean Passing.

It's racing, though some people are destined to race dirty. Always protect the inside and make em go around you. If it would have been me against you and I had a wheel length on you, I wouldn't have "Cut Down" on you like that. If I am not clearly past you I wouldn't have risked taking us both out. Were you running on carpet?
Old 12-06-2004, 12:10 PM   #24
Tech Regular

It was on carpet. I will find the lap times so everyone can see how different our lap times were.
Well it is at mikeshobbyshop.com
December 5th I ended up last and he ended up 2nd.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:24 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to CoryCraig

from my experiances , if he went wide and left his normal groove, and you had a wheel on him, then you where starting a pass and he should have given you room ( this isif it where me being passed ). Since he didnt you should have let off and just waited it out. I used to race with a driver here that was semi consistent but would hack you for sure if he thought it gave him a chance at beating you. 9 times out of ten i let him beat himself. Sit back, wait and let him screw himself out of it. Or use traffic. If he is impatient he will usualyl go for the earliest time to pass ( on the outside for exmple ) instead of waiting for a good inside pass. In which case , go inside and pass both. Plenty of scenario's but understand how he thinks and out smart him. If you know that goign inside he will cut down, then act like u are, then let him stuff the inside pipe. I think you had the right of way in this instance, but i dont think its right to hack in return. Any one can hack, its passing clean thats harder to do PLus .. then he cant say you hacked him to win :P
CoryCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:30 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The most commonly accepted rule in motorsports is that if your front tire is in front of his rear tire, you have the line. If you arent that far up on him, he has the right to shut the door.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:39 PM   #27
Tech Adept

My philosophy is that:

Try to race cleanly without touching any cars (backmarkers or leaders, etc). There are gonna be some folks that try to block. Be alert and yell. If u are good, u should be able to pass him. If u are not certain that you can have a clean pass, then it is a gamble. Gamble implies loss.

I strongly disagree with anyone bumping the leading racer because he is slow and blocking. Can you do that in F1? Just because you are fast does not mean you can just bump those leading cars in front of you. Think about this, he may be slow, but he may drive the perfect line. If u are so fast and GOOD, why can't u pass him without bumping him?(like a different line, different brake point, etc). There are things besides speed in winning a race. Strategy, driving line, brake point, ...

Just because you are fast, it is not right to bump leading racers. Otherwise, u can just as well bump every slower car at corners.

Remember that, the first rule of racing is to FINISH THE RACE. Potential accidents reduce the chance to finish any races.
raceblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #28
Tech Adept

From what I've read it sounds like good close racing, a shame it ended in a retirement.

For me personally deliberately bashing people out is harsh and bad sportsmanship. However I few friendly taps to weigh each other up is fine.

Sounds to me like he saw you coming up and squeezed the door shut on the corner a little too far. Defending your line is not against the rules, watch the British Touring Cars or your own Nascar series for some great examples, but forcing people into barriers is a bit tight.

I've had the same situation from both ends and especially in finals it can be hard to admit defeat and back off. I think next time you should test him up the inside, if he goes for it back off slightly and wait for another oppourtunity. If necessery try it several laps in a row and then change tactic, he may go for it automatically and then you can hold the best line through into the lead.

All I can say is close racing is what the hobby is all about so enjoy it and take the rough with the smooth, and don't be afraid to give a little stick back to those bossy drivers.
Andy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:06 PM   #29
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If i have a good close clean race ill be happy with coming last, more happy than if i was top 5 and got hacked a bit and stuff.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote