R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-09-2004, 11:00 AM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have been running rubber tires on sedans for a number of years and I have usually found that the first 2 or 3 runs on a new set of tires isn't very good. With proper cleaning and care, I agree with A-KO that rubber tires can last a long time (40+ runs). I don't see a 1sec advantge to new tires. In fact, as I said above, newtires don't seem to have very good traction for the first 2 or 3 runs. Unforunately, foam tires make the track a mess for rubber tires. The foam shavings all over the track work like marbles and kill off a lot of traction. Guess I will have to try running treaded rubber tires on carpet that has a heavy dose of foam. It is also much easier to tune a car that doesn't have different size tires every run!
Old 12-09-2004, 01:44 PM   #92
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i run my rubbers until i see cord, then i practice with them until the cord is worn through and the tire falls apart
kartermdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:32 PM   #93
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

as stated this is on asphelt and the 1 second increase was for tyres which has done one final and three heats.

You can use all the tracktion compound on the world it still want be as good. I have tried most brands of tires

Take offs sorex shumizu ride yokomo and kyosho.

the ones which are crap and are certainly not as good as the others are take offs ride and yokomo there were some other no name type brands I tried but they aren'[t worth mentioning.

sorex were ok but I had lots of trouble with the 32's going off. I have since found out that the 32's have a very limited tempreature range.

shumizu were a very good all round tire undoubtably the most well constructed

kyosho provided very good grip for longer as I run my tires usually untill they fall apart I use these and have been for the last 6 months they are also about 2 or 3 dollars cheaper per pair over shumizu.

the kyosho tires are more of a compound tires as the rubber wears off were as take off are a tempreature tire and have to get to tempreature before they grip and by there nature of design they will be only good for the first or second heat cycle. If you use a new set on one end of your car at the end of the second run the old tyres start to losse grip when you start the third and the olds are on the rear it's slide city. Nearly as bad as drifting
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:19 PM   #94
Mal

I never liked the sorex 32. You're right they have a very narrow temp band. I've tried several tires also. For asphalt racing I found sorex 36s to be the best. They work between 75-95 degrees (Ambient air temperature). The Take-Off 32s are pretty damn good when the temp is above 80 degrees. The Yokomo 139 series of tires aren't bad either. I have never tried Kyosho, didn't even know they made tires.

Still hard to believe new tires will give a 1 second per lap advantage, even if it is outside. You must have some really wierd conditions at your track.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:44 PM   #95
Tech Master

i race at three tracks regularly tires work pritty much all the same on all of the tracks. There are only slight differences between tires not enough to change brands to find the edge. On one of the tracks old tires are ok and still grip you pick up maybe 4 to 6 tenth from 4 run plus tires the track has awesome grip. The other track which all previous statements were based is a relatively low grip track which is oily, it has been used for about 8 years.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:58 PM   #96
Tech Elite

i do get a 1 sec advantage when i switched from old 36R sorex to new 36R sorex with same inserts and rims.
of course the old set was well showing the belting already.
On asphalt that is. I still have the lap times to show it....
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:19 PM   #97
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Has anyone tried using WD-40 as traction compound? I've been using it for about 2 years now and it works really well. Gets the tires real soft and sticky. I can't remember where I heard this from but you all should try it. It works wonders. Just spray a liberal amount on a wrag and wipe it on the tire about 10 minutes before your race and let it set then when your up, do about a half a hot-lap, and then your all set.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:53 PM   #98
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HVFracingwilly

a lubricant as a traction additive hmm makes no sence?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:21 PM   #99
Tech Elite

It works and it doesn't work. Yes it cleans the tires and gets them sticky, but you do need to wear off the oil. That means you wear off the peak performance from your battery and motor. Running Stick-ET traction comp works really great on asphalt w/ takeoff tires. It last about 1 lap, but it heats up the tires faster. And you will always get the holeshot.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:48 PM   #100
Tech Master

one lap that is a waste of time...

the stuff I use works for the entire run

I sometimes use another type on top of it which works for the first few laps then graduarly fades away.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:16 PM   #101
Tech Master

We used to use WD-40 back in the 80s racing 12th scale on carpet. It was either that or Teac casset deck cleaning fluid. Then this stinky stuff came out and all that was history and the smell was on.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:54 PM   #102
Tech Elite

WD40 does really work, especially as cleaner.
you dont really need traction additive after the 1st few laps. If you still do, there is problem with the car/tyres/setup.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:08 PM   #103
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
I never liked the sorex 32. You're right they have a very narrow temp band. I've tried several tires also. For asphalt racing I found sorex 36s to be the best. They work between 75-95 degrees (Ambient air temperature). The Take-Off 32s are pretty damn good when the temp is above 80 degrees. The Yokomo 139 series of tires aren't bad either. I have never tried Kyosho, didn't even know they made tires.

Still hard to believe new tires will give a 1 second per lap advantage, even if it is outside. You must have some really wierd conditions at your track.
Oh trust me dude, it can happen at a place like fantasy world lol. My car was CRAZY fast when I had fresh tires on, but it was still really fast when the tires were older too. So far my 3 favorite outdoor racign tires are the Take off 27 spec tires, ING Racing 27's and 32's, and the Sorex 36R.

-Korey
Old 12-10-2004, 07:35 AM   #104
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At the Reedy Race and the Worlds drivers were able to get the same lap times for 3 runs running full punch with 7 turn mods. The first run the car feels really nice, edgy and reactive. In later runs the tires feel more mellow but the lap times are the same. Most drivers think the tires are fastest on the 2nd run and actually run a few laps on their race tires in practice to scuff them in a bit.

This is one of the reasons why the CS27 keeps getting picked for the Reedy Race every year. Due to the tire limit rules you have to re-run. The Take Off are the only tires than can turn consistent times over and over on asphalt.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:57 AM   #105
Tech Elite

back from the tracks:
tried 1 set of Sorex 40R's. Believe it or not I think I have more traction than sorex 36R. After 7 runs, the tyres are really worn and you can already see ridges. I'll post a pic later.

Track temperatures ranged from blazing hot to cloudy, but I stuck with the same set with rotations on each wheel.

I have lap times which are better than what i get for 36R, but i made some minor changes to the setups so it's not comparable.