R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2004, 05:34 PM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

I wish I could comment on the other tires, the past few years I have been running Tamiya A's which are around a 27. Mainly because I am a TCS nut and felt the switch between Tamiya and non Tamiya tires got too awkward, requiring a different setup. I do race my Tamiya's year round, unlike others who I have known that shelve them until a TCS race. I have liked Pitzes and Sorexes for the carpet in the past.

I think the next new set I get or start using for carpet I will have to try and remember to keep track of 5 minute runs. Like I need something more to do trackside. LOL. Then I can state as a fact, that I had XX amount of runs on a set of carpet rubbers.

I know last season I put in 7 practice day runs usually running minimum 9 full race runs in a day. I did test certain inserts but usually stuck with a set I had and rarely changed it. Mainly because I was changing & testing other things. So roughly I am looking at 63 runs.

Outdoor running is a different story. If I blister the tires they usually are junk unless I can wear off the blisters. Sometimes they can come back but you still might be a few 1/10ths off pace, still great for a practice and setup run. I think with outdoors I would be lucky to have a tire go past 20 runs. Outdoors seem to be very harsh on tires and rims.

Usually when outdoor season comes I don't test too much and enjoy the freedom to do other things that I couldnt while snow/cold bound.

Thats my story and I'm stickin to it.......

Jeff
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:39 PM   #77
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Funny guys where I race use new tires every final.

They pick up nearly a second a lap from tires that have done one finall and 3 heats.

New rubber make a huge difference if you can't tell then you mustn't be getting anywhere near the right car setup to generate grip
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:48 PM   #78
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Or maybe your guys are relying on the tyres to generate grip too much and not letting the chassis do some work?
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:32 PM   #79
Tech Elite

I see that some guys clean off tires for asphalt. My question is, WHY? If you pick up dirt on the track, then there will be dirt on the track the next run. I've never cleaned off my tires and I consistantly get the holeshot in the next race.

I keep my tires in tennis ball cases. They are air tight and a perfect fit for 2 pairs of tires. They are also keep safe from getting tweaked from other junk falling on them in the pit bag.

If you run a white body then you will notice the tire dust collection in the wheel wells. There is always more in the front well that is opposite of the turn bias on your track. This is why it isn't possible for your tires to be cone free after several runs.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:39 PM   #80
Tech Master

nar using the chassi to generate more grip by using the tyre
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:09 PM   #81
Tech Elite

cleaning the tyres is important for the traction additive to be well applied.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:18 PM   #82
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
cleaning the tyres is important for the traction additive to be well applied.
agreed
Old 12-08-2004, 10:37 PM   #83
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by frozenpod
Funny guys where I race use new tires every final.

They pick up nearly a second a lap from tires that have done one finall and 3 heats.

New rubber make a huge difference if you can't tell then you mustn't be getting anywhere near the right car setup to generate grip
Usually I have seen 3 to 5/10ths at the most in my racing. I have never seen 1 second jump with new tires. If the jump was that big then I am not doing a good job of crew cheifing my car on the track.

Locally does not make much sense to buy new tires for every A-main. Also tires do work better with several runs and applications of compounds under them in a day. I wouldnt use special tires for the A, without being worked in. Well for carpet anyway.

If it was a National event, then it would be worth the effort, running new tires, assuming I had made the A-Main. Anything less I tend to put on old tires and save the new for another day.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:41 AM   #84
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I guess its just a fluke that at the 2001 carpet nats and the 2002/2003 Novak Races that second runs on tires were just as fast as first runs. Of course it may be the drivers not knowing what they are doing....Tosolini, Francis, Baker, Lemieux don't know anything...right...lol?
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:48 AM   #85
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

have those guys ever run 40+ run tires? I doubt it.

I think people are just saying that 30-40 run tires are not as good as new tires (0-4 runs)
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:05 AM   #86
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Of course. According to the pros the tires at those races would generate good lap time for 4 runs. However, due to the spec tire rules and how many set they could get they only needed to re-run once so they never ran any set more than two times except in practice.

S&N is a special place. CS27's will literally be fast forever there. Guys buy new tires after 6 weeks of racing and see no increase in speed with the new set over the old set...unbelieveable but absolutely true.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:17 AM   #87
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'll have to ask the rubber tire guys next time I'm at Trackside. I usually race stock foam there. I just find it hard to believe that 24+ run tires are just as fast as 0-5 run tires, even at Trackside. (4 runs a day x 6 weeks = 24 runs, assuming they raced weekly and not counting practice runs)
When I did race rubber, I found that the second to fifth runs were the best as it took a full run to wear the tires in. The tires were still good after the fifth run, but they slowly started to fade.
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:20 AM   #88
Tech Elite

I have to buy new rubber every other week. 6 weeks per set?man i wish there was some carpet here as well.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:32 AM   #89
Mal

LoL your racers must have an unlimited amount of cash if they throw new tires on every a-main. What do those guys spend on tires a year $5000+? So let me get this straight, your racers are picking up about 2-3 laps when they switch to new tires? I have to call BS on that.

Like I said before, our track has several sponsored drivers that race there. I have yet to see anyone pick up 1 second per lap by just switching to new tires. In some instances you don't want to run new tires becasue they push really bad when they're not broken in, this is on carpet. On asphalt, I'll admit, they're usually hooked up right away without any break in time. Now, you may pick up 1 second per lap if you upgraded from a tire with 1000 runs on it to a new set

Last edited by Mal; 12-09-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:46 AM   #90
Tech Regular

It seems from my experience, that after 10 or so runs, tires simply don't have the grip they did during that time. Last night I ran old tires, (20 + runs) and was still able to do well, but another person who was having a harder time getting their car to work well put on new tires and TQ'd on the first run. The only change was the tires, and they gained significant ground.

Will tires with a lot of runs on them work? Absolutely.

Will they be as fast as new tires? I don't believe so.

Matt
MClinton is offline   Reply With Quote