R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-07-2004, 11:13 PM   #61
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sure you can run your rubber tires forever. But if you want to run with the fast guys you better have fresh rubber... and thats the biggest problem with rubber tire racing If someone who is about the same speed as you slaps on new tires for the A main and you dont, you lose
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:32 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to AdR|aN

Quote:
Originally posted by ottoman
Sure you can run your rubber tires forever. But if you want to run with the fast guys you better have fresh rubber... and thats the biggest problem with rubber tire racing If someone who is about the same speed as you slaps on new tires for the A main and you dont, you lose
How come i don seem to agree on this?
AdR|aN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:29 AM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally posted by ottoman
I disagree.

My last race I TQed for the A in a 20 car field 1st through 8th qual separated by 6 seconds. Was the only one with 23 laps and won the A-main from the pole. Finished the A with one more lap than the field. There was no 1st lap pileup, I fought hard to keep the lead and the other guys were good drivers. We were turning the same laptimes too.

Not trying to toot my own horn just stating with proof that old tired tires can be everybit as good as new tires, as long as you take care of them.

jeff
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:32 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by A-Ko
I disagree.

My last race I TQed for the A in a 20 car field 1st through 8th qual separated by 6 seconds. Was the only one with 23 laps and won the A-main from the pole. Finished the A with one more lap than the field. There was no 1st lap pileup, I fought hard to keep the lead and the other guys were good drivers. We were turning the same laptimes too.

Not trying to toot my own horn just stating with proof that old tired tires can be everybit as good as new tires, as long as you take care of them.

jeff
COuldnt say it better myself
Old 12-08-2004, 09:22 AM   #65
Tech Regular

I agree with the above, you don't need new tyres every meeting.

I have been running Sorex 24r's for about 2 months on carpet with a 27t stock motor.
On the weekend i raced against some very quick drivers and finished 3rd out of a field of at least 40. My best lap was .1 of a second slower than the TQ guy (mod national winner), the only think holding me back was a lack of talent not my tyres!

For the average club racer a set of 24r's in 27t should last 2-3 months racing once a week on carpet.

Of course i would use new tyres for a big meeting.
Robfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #66
Mal

For a big race I think rubber tires cost more than foam tires if you don't chunk them. For a club race .... rubber tires are a lot cheaper than foams. Who is going to mount new sets of rubber tires for every a-main club race?!

At our track we have people who have won nationals or have made it to the a-main at a national, so it's very competitve here. We're able to get by with running the same rubber tires for several race days just as long as you take care of your tires and know how to set your car up.

With the new norm in foams, double pinks and Jaco's new inch up rim you're lucky to even reach the end of your 2nd race day on a set of foams.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:27 AM   #67
Tech Elite

I used to run 1/10 GP and the amount of foams i go through in a day was really killing me and burning one hell of a big hole in my pocket.
After converting to 1/10 EP (thank god) i manage to save money on tires (running tires Sorex 40R) and fuel (i don need to buy batteries every 1 month or so).
Some guys would swear with brand new tires every race. But if i could keep up with my own time, i don see why i should need new tires all the time.
If you cant keep the same driving line and have the same consistent time every lap, then even new tires cant save you.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:27 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you guys talk as though carpets do not eat the rubber at all? is it true?
On asphalt, if my tyres are grippnig well enough i can be sure that some rubber is going to be scrubbed off-visible even after 1 run.Which is why after a certain number of runs there is no rubber left-the thread/belting can be seen, and after another couple of runs you can then see the inserts
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:30 AM   #69
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by lee82gx
you guys talk as though carpets do not eat the rubber at all? is it true?
On asphalt, if my tyres are grippnig well enough i can be sure that some rubber is going to be scrubbed off-visible even after 1 run.Which is why after a certain number of runs there is no rubber left-the thread/belting can be seen, and after another couple of runs you can then see the inserts
Lee.
your saying like after 4 to 5 packs you can junk those tires already.

So how did u tested out the 40R? Any traction problem?
Oh yea. I previously run HPI35R tires. And dammed. Those tires last at least twice longer then Sorex does.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:42 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No, I don't mean after 4-5 runs can throw away the tyres..i mean these carpet guys talk like they can last 20-40 runs..I'm amazed.

For me anything more than 13 is a bonus.probably after run 10 can see the belting already..after that still drive it like a stingy fellow if nobody to challenge..but will slap on some 'new rubber' if someone wants to play ball.

I haven't tried the 40's yet, but I have 2 sets, one already on my car. This Saturday, hopefully.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A lot of tracks are running CS27's. They need a soft car setup. almost like asphalt but you can get to within a tenth of Sorex's on most of the carpet tracks we have run on (Minnreg, Rain City, S&N Trackside, Sacramento R/C). On carpet they are fast forever. Guys at S&N can run for a few weeks before they see a drop off in lap times. Sorex's are faster but they cost almost $10 per set compared to the Take Off GL's and they are fast for 2-3 runs max.

FYI, Schumacher imports TakeOff so I am a bit biased in this but the above info is the real deal. If you want to check it out for yourself contact the tracks:

S&N Trackside - www.trackside.com

Rain City - www.raincityraceway.com

Minnreg - Doesn't run On Road anymore

Sacramento R/C - not sure of website..
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:41 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Adrian, its www.stocktonrcraceway.com for the carpet track closest to Sacramneto.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:47 AM   #73
Mal

I run at Raincity and what Adrian says is true. Sorex are a little faster but they also wear a lot faster. Some guys have run their Take-Off 27s for 40+ runs and are still competitive.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:59 AM   #74
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thats it! It used to be STRC but Scott T. is no longer invloved.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:32 AM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

As I stated in a previous post, I run at S&N Trackside, and I can run a month and longer and still be plenty fast.
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote