R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2004, 05:10 PM   #31
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by weaponx
Rubber tires will last much longer then three runs before falling off to junk as was stated above. Much longer, dont beleive everything you hear or read.
Quote:
So much money people are throwing away if you getting rid of your rubber tires after the first 10 runs for club racing. Not to mention the amount of people that are getting turned off of rubber tire racing because of the misinformation they here about it. Such a shame.
Quote:
Did I say that you were?
Im quite aware of how rubber tires work,(touring tires in general) .
Opinions vary... Just because you dont agree doesnt mean you are right. I may not be right as well but I state my opinions and try to help out I dont tell people that my ideas are right and others are wrong. This is a forum for discussion. I would have been happy to discuss it. But I guess there is nothing to discuss.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:03 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedie
On carpet tires will last 5-6 runs before falling off to junk. The third run is usually the best then after that its all downhill.
You can either set your car up for the long haul the 4-20th run or the expensive way 1-4 runs. If your not racing mod then setup for the long haul, but in modified you will wear out tires very quickly.

I exclusively run Take-Off tires. As far as actual track temps. The 27's are best in the 50-80* temps. 80-110 calls for 32's. 110-150 requires 37's. And -100-50 are 22's.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:04 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Here is a pic of tires from the Reedy Race of Champions. I've put 10 runs on them in 19 turn asphalt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pics for internet.jpg (73.5 KB, 331 views)
Old 12-06-2004, 06:11 PM   #34
Tech Master

I have a base setup I use when the tires are new and just adjust as the tires fade. I usually run them 3-4 nights about 12-15 runs before they get to inconsistant for me to drive. Thats racing on carpet.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:16 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

I race at Trackside hobbies on carpet and easily get a month to a month and a half on carpet tires running 1 to 2 nights a week and placing in the top 3 consistantly, without the tires feeling off, they may slow a little, but it is only club racing.
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:21 PM   #36
Tech Master

So do you do anything special to get them to last that long? After 15 runs my car gets so inconsistant I cant tune it anymore. Maybe my driving style just uses them up faster. I clean them between each run and store them in a ziplock between races. Ive been using either TQ Mod or Paragon, mostly Paragon.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:30 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Are you racing carpet?
Old 12-06-2004, 06:34 PM   #38
Tech Master

Yes I am its smooth med grip.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

Nothing special, just use tq mod. When I first started racing sedans, I had about 10 to 12 runs on my car and it started feeling a little different, I asked a friend and they said it was the tires with out even looking at the car, that the tires were shot. I thought to myself, this is crazy, sold all my sedan stuff, and went back to 12th scale. A year later after talking to some other sedan racers, I gave it another shot. And have been running sedans sense then, my point is because I didnt get correct information the first time, I almost gave up on sedans, when the problem could have been many other issues. Do the tires slow a little sure, but in my opinion they dont slow enough to replace them after 10 to 12 runs.

Last edited by weaponx; 12-06-2004 at 07:03 PM.
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:41 PM   #40
Tech Master

I bet the difference is in driving styles. 12th scale racing gets you in the habbit of worring about corner speed more I bet. A sedan is easier to drive harder and still be fast. My driving was alwayse better when I drove both 12th and sedan classes.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:47 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Really rubber tyres are only a one run use. They are great for the first run and fall away every run after that I use kyosho tyre which I sudgest that you all try as they seemed to last for more runs at close to peak grip. I run kyosho tyres untill they fall apart but there is no subsitute for new tyres, not even all the traction compound in the world
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #42
Tech Master

Note I run on car park tracks

I haven't run on carpet as of yet but the more adbraisive tracks are better as the wear away the old hard rubber or prevent the build up of this glazed rock rubber.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:53 PM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

speedy and weaponx.

have you guys tried throwing older rubber tires on a tire truer and sanding them lightly?

i did a light sanding of some pretty old CS27s during a day of practicing at RSJ...i did this since i didn't have any other tires that day and wanted to see what would happen.

anyway.....with those old CS27s i was able to match the fastest lap times of the previous nights racing where some guys run CS22s and Sorex 24s.

it's not an exact science or a perfect test...the results could be skewed by carpet traction, driver skill, ect....but i was happy with the results. if anything....it did not make the tires any worse :P
Old 12-06-2004, 08:08 PM   #44
Tech Master

I have tried it many times but I haven't been able to take off enough rubber to get the the nice soft fresh stuff. When I have the tyre usually tears and falls apart after a couple of laps. Death grip works pritty good just put some on the tyres after use and then reapply next race meet before use.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #45
Tech Master

Ive tried it using 220 grit sandpaper.It did seem to help but fell off right away. I dont have a portable truer to see if it helped between runs. Ive been thinking that this could work if used consistantly from the first run. Not just to try to get life out of old tires.