Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Rubber Tire touring car racing... >

Rubber Tire touring car racing...

Rubber Tire touring car racing...

Old 03-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by MartinSorlie What?? The Xray rims are some of the most solid wheels around, If you crack one, I can buy a new one for you, 'cause that deserves a prize!

If you run 26mm tires, run 26mm rims. If you run 24mm tires, run 24mm rims... [/B]
does that count for me too? cuz i just cracked my cs27s too. so i was planning to mount them on my xray ones. im really hoping they last well. i know my hpi26mm ones last forever. never cracked one. but they are a bit too soft i think. one of them didnt crack but isnt straight anymore. wobbles all over the place. well i doint use 26mm except in parking lots so that doens matter. and i did read sumwhere that using 24mm tires on 26mm wheels will stretch out the tire, so less sidewall movement and lower profile. i dont wanna waste my tires like that so i havent tried but has anyone done this before? oh and the best way to take the tires off is boiling them? never tried another way but i know oven works too, but does the tire survive? ive read plenty on how to reuse the rims but not on how to save the tire from a busted rim.
oh and heres how they cracked. i think its interesting, like perfectly lol.
Attached Thumbnails Rubber Tire touring car racing...-32.jpg  
Old 03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Best way to save the tire, is to put acetone in the bottom of a jar, and use springs or whatever to put the wheels on som they don't come in direct contact with the acetone. Put a lid on, after a day or two, your tire should come right off, unharmed.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Tech Addict

how does that work? fumes? and what exactly is acetone? is it like paint thinner?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I cracked 2 like that saturday. 4 tires, inserts, and wheels for thirty five dollars. I guess they give us cheap wheels.

I will mount them myself from now on. It will cost less on the long run.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what are you hitting to do that kinda damage! I run 22 premounts which i assume use the same dish wheel and ive given them a few fairly hard hits and despite one being slightly warped they are fine and ive put more runs than i can remember on the now on carpet.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

my takeoffs cracked when i nicked a wall. not a crash. i barely touched it. it was so laaame.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

I ran some 26mm proline rims with take-off 27's. They stretched out the contact patch and almost completely eliminated the seam that is created when the insert shifts. They didn't wear as much as 24mm's. The car handled smoother, and felt more planted, but laptimes didn't decrease.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Tech Regular

Acetone is nail polish remover... The fumes dissolve the glue.

Running 26mm rims can feel very comfortable, but is seldom fastest...
Old 03-03-2005, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by greencactus3
does that count for me too? cuz i just cracked my cs27s too. so i was planning to mount them on my xray ones. im really hoping they last well. i know my hpi26mm ones last forever. never cracked one. but they are a bit too soft i think. one of them didnt crack but isnt straight anymore. wobbles all over the place. well i doint use 26mm except in parking lots so that doens matter. and i did read sumwhere that using 24mm tires on 26mm wheels will stretch out the tire, so less sidewall movement and lower profile. i dont wanna waste my tires like that so i havent tried but has anyone done this before? oh and the best way to take the tires off is boiling them? never tried another way but i know oven works too, but does the tire survive? ive read plenty on how to reuse the rims but not on how to save the tire from a busted rim.
oh and heres how they cracked. i think its interesting, like perfectly lol.
I broke 4 or 5 Takeoff wheels that same way last year. Havent in about 6 or 7 months though. One guy last night broke 1 a heat, and he's not a bad driver at all!
I ripped a gouge in one of my brand new sets a few weeks ago on a screw that had backed out of the pipe....broke steering arm, ripped (not cracked lol) the rim so I was planning on just getting the tires off too and mounting them on the XRay rims.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by MartinSorlie
Acetone is nail polish remover... The fumes dissolve the glue.

Running 26mm rims can feel very comfortable, but is seldom fastest...
True
Old 03-03-2005, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

It might be the best choice for newer racers b/c you'll get less tire wear and more stablility.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

I very much agree, and also, you have choices of wheels that never die! (Kyosho, not that their 24mm is less solid though...)
Old 03-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try kyosho rims or speedmind in over two years of racing I am still yet to brake one.

The only kyosho rim that I have seen brake was when the car was completely destroyed. Chassi, plastics, even the motor snapped.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

The ironic this is, Take-off premounts were the 11 spoke rims that looked great and were rock solid, then they switch to dish wheels and they crack or punch out more often.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Never ran takeoff rims, so I don't know them, but that's weird..... Moral of the story is, run sorex tires on kyosho or speedmind rims, f*** the rest.....

*someone tell me if I'm inappropriate som times, I'm a Norwegian and we swear in every sentence... Well.. at least many of us do.... me anyway *

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.