R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2005, 08:30 AM   #151
Tech Addict

Nexus,

I have tried "Asphalt" inserts such as the Hpi Red, but the Orion/JB inserts are far better when you look at the laptimes!!
JB Inserts Ultra light Blue-Yellow-Blue - thin ORI71020, have been working really good in CS22/27 and JB Inserts Ultra light Blue-Yellow-Blue - Medium, ORI71021 works really good in Sorex tires!
Please give them a try, I am sure you will be faster
Eirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:15 AM   #152
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Eirik
Nexus,

I have tried "Asphalt" inserts such as the Hpi Red, but the Orion/JB inserts are far better when you look at the laptimes!!
JB Inserts Ultra light Blue-Yellow-Blue - thin ORI71020, have been working really good in CS22/27 and JB Inserts Ultra light Blue-Yellow-Blue - Medium, ORI71021 works really good in Sorex tires!
Please give them a try, I am sure you will be faster
Do you have different orion inserts available overseas?

I can't find the ORI71020 or ORI71021 on teamorion.com

http://teamorion.com/products/wheels_foams.asp#Foams
Old 01-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #153
Tech Addict

I know you can not find them on their website, they are quite new! But they also have similar ones with Part:ORI71030, Thin and ORI71031, Medium. They work great as well!
I think you should give Orion Usa a call and see what they have in stock.... or you can check it out here: http://www.mirageracing.com/productR...SE+subc%3AJBFM
Eirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be starting Modified racing full-time as of this weekend and I just wanted to see what the best advice is for my Sorex 36R tyres for an insert. I have already bought some Sorex A Firm inserts and I was wondering if they will be suitable for them for my racing. I have got plenty of sets of TO27 tyres as they are by far the choice of racing at our tracks in Australia and I'm using the Schumacher Medium (yellow) compounds with them and they are great!! I have a spare set of Take Off Medium inserts also so I was wondering, what would be better to put in my Sorex 36Rs?? Take Off Medium inserts or Sorex Type A Firm??

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 08:20 AM   #155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

F.Alonso:
If the Sorex A inserts are not grippy enoudh, try Sorex C(Medium) .
I've always had enough traction with them.
I can't say for sure how others would work, but i've tried:
Speedmind extra hard- Black- great
HPI yellow(soft) - wears the tyres quickly
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:11 PM   #156
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Rubber tires on carpet

I am a big fan of rubber tire carpet racing. I have been racing for just over 10 years on carpet, started with foam, and then our local track (Trackside) switched to rubber tires (this back in the days of the Tamiya TA-02 being hot stuff!) Have never raced foam again, nor do I have any desire to go back to foam. I also would qualify my remarks by pointing out that I am a Stock motor racer. (I'm getting a bit old for modified racing, as I don't have the reaction times anymore that the youngsters have!) For modified racing, tire wear (using up the traction/consistency) would be more of a problem for the week in week out racing.

1. Fun: Rubber tires on foam is more fun. If I wanted a car to handle like a slot car, I'd race slot cars. Dealing with the more realistic traction of a rubber tire on carpet is just more fun to drive.

2. Cost: Rubber tires on carpet are cheaper, IF you do it right. Yes uncontrolled rubber tires on carpet gets expensive, as trying out the numerous possible combinations of tire compound and inserts, as well as different combinations front to rear, makes for a lot of glued up unused tires. But if a track finds a combination that works well, such as Cs27's, and makes it a control tire/insert combo (sell them preglued), then a very expensive tire testing war is avoided. At Trackside, we have gone to preglued cs27 and everybody loves it. If someone comes into race with new Sorez 24's, will they be faster, all things being equal? - Yes, but if everybody is required to run the handout, it is not a factor. If that guy is just visiting and comes in to race just once with the regular season guys, and doesn't have a set of CS27 - so what - let him run what he has, or come see one of the regulars who might well loan him a set of tires for the evening (I will, yes they'll be last season's tires, but so what, they are still pretty good.)

3. "Rubber tires are only good for 1-3 runs" WRONG. Yes, they might have their best and most consistent traction for the first run, but they settle into very useable shape thereafter. We run 8-10 week "seasons" at Trackside, and I generally will have ONE set of tires for the entire season of club racing. That means they are used for a minimum of 32 -40 runs (one practice battery, 2 rounds of qualifying and a main each week). And if you don't think you can still be fast using only one set a season, bull: I invite you to check out the weekly/season results at trackside.com., those one set per season tires still have me generally at the top of the standings. To those who might race at Trackside who think I replace my tires more often than that, you're wrong. (Yes, for the Novak race I did use a new set, the handout set, for the entire weekend of practice, qualifiers and the triple a mains. (I did buy extra sets, but only because they were specially priced and I could use them throughout the rest of the year) I would still be using that set now for this season of racing if I didn't have to glue up the sidewalls to cope with the extra high grip brought about by the huge turnout for the Novak race. In fact, I think you would have been at a disadvantage using fresh tires each main at the Novak race, as we were already so high in traction we were glueing up the sidewalls of the tires.)

3. I have yet to chunk a rubber tire, even in unavoidable mishaps with slower cars. In club racing, where collisions can be inevitable with a variety of driver skills, guys end up with a chunked piece of garbage foam tire quite regularly.

4. Tire trueing - what's that??!!! Never have to create that mess running rubber tires.

5. While I understand that some like foams, and thus the switch in the Novak race to have both rubber and foam classes, I think some of the best racing we ever had at the Novak race was when it was, a couple years ago, a rubber tire only event for all classes, pros in modified included. It was fun watching the pros deal with realistic traction. In real racing, the drivers can't just pin the throttle and go, they would light up the tires and start spinning out of control. The same happens with rubber tires and modiifieds on carpet - you need throttle control skills not only to make run time but to keep your car off the boards.

Long live rubber tire on carpet racing.
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #157
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
I think people dismiss Tamiya rubber too quickly. I believe Ride makes the A's, B's, and B3's for them and they all work very well.
I certainly haven't had any problem with their slicks. Keeps the car stuck in line on just about anything but waxed linoleum ( don't ask).
Liko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:37 PM   #158
Tech Fanatic

Guys, I've been running the foam tire scene for a little while, but lately it seems a lot of the stock competition in my area has been in the stock rubber class. So I have a great foam set-up, but now would like to work on the rubber set-up for days when only 3 people sign in for foam.

I have Sorex 24s for the front and 20's for the rear with HPI Red inserts. Our track is medium grip carpet and this is a combo I've tried and really like.

I bought a set of Proline Speed 10/24mm rims (I'm not a dish wheel fan, sorry), but it seems that there's a little play between the tires and the rims. I put them on the stock Xray rims and they're snug. I'm assuming that the Xrays are Inch-Up rims. I don't want to use them because I hear from a few veteran rubber runners, that they crack more easily than others.

I heard from some other forum that guys in the UK flip the tires inside/out and put a strip of glass tape (think it's that fiber tape) and then flip them back. This keep the tires from expanding during high RPMs. They also say to use Inch-Up wheels which does seem to let the tires mount more evenly and will reduce sidewall flex, I think.

What brand wheels do you all prefer (doesn't matter if it's dish or spoke, I would like to know)?

Does it make a difference if you use 26mm vs 24mm rims?

Any wisdom or tricks to share would be appriciated. Thanks!
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:56 PM   #159
Tech Regular

Quote:
I have Sorex 24s for the front and 20's for the rear with HPI Red inserts. Our track is medium grip carpet and this is a combo I've tried and really like.
Why different front from rear? When running rubber, use the same for both front and rear. The marking on the tires are based on temperature, so I do believe 32's would do you good. In Europe, we can tractionroll with those tires, so I really do wonder why all americans always choose 20 and 24 for high grip carpets.

Many people say tires are the most important aspect of a good setup. Nowadays, that's basically wrong. All tires(CS, Sorex, Powers, RP and so on) are very good nowadays, and you can't really go too wrong, too far off pace. The biggest difference between the tires is wear and cornerspeed, but most of them feel comfortable on the track.

So, the most important aspect of running fast, is inserts. Having the right inserts for the right tires is extremely important, and molded inserts are no good for modified carpet racing. As mentioned before in this thread, the JB foams is the only choice! It is so much faster on carpet than molded inserts, you guys won't believe it until you try. Ok, so molded inserts might feel great, but I assure you, your laptimes will improve with JB.

Period.

Quote:
I bought a set of Proline Speed 10/24mm rims (I'm not a dish wheel fan, sorry), but it seems that there's a little play between the tires and the rims. I put them on the stock Xray rims and they're snug. I'm assuming that the Xrays are Inch-Up rims. I don't want to use them because I hear from a few veteran rubber runners, that they crack more easily than others.
What?? The Xray rims are some of the most solid wheels around, If you crack one, I can buy a new one for you, 'cause that deserves a prize!

Quote:
I heard from some other forum that guys in the UK flip the tires inside/out and put a strip of glass tape (think it's that fiber tape) and then flip them back. This keep the tires from expanding during high RPMs. They also say to use Inch-Up wheels which does seem to let the tires mount more evenly and will reduce sidewall flex, I think.
Considering that all racing tires these days are belted, that is nothing you need to think of.

Quote:
Does it make a difference if you use 26mm vs 24mm rims?
If you run 26mm tires, run 26mm rims. If you run 24mm tires, run 24mm rims...
MartinSorlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:53 PM   #160
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Whats the difference between JB foams inserts and a molded insert?
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #161
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by MartinSorlie
Why different front from rear? ... so I do believe 32's would do you good. In Europe, we can tractionroll with those tires, so I really do wonder why all americans always choose 20 and 24 for high grip carpets.

... JB foams is the only choice! It is so much faster on carpet than molded inserts, you guys won't believe it until you try. Ok, so molded inserts might feel great, but I assure you, your laptimes will improve with JB.
The reason for choosing the 24/20 combo was to keep from having to change alot of my initial foam setup if racing two classes, foam & rubber. The combo is very close in feel and response, and very comfortable for me to drive fast.

Like I mentioned, I'm just getting into the rubber scene. My choice for inserts is because 90% of the rubber racers at my tracks run HPI reds. I personally think I could use lighter inserts, slightly more air gap and then control temps by increasing the holes sizes, but I have yet to experiment. I would like to try all brands of tires and insert combos, especially JB inserts. I have read great things about them. But finding Sorex 32's and JB's around here is pretty tough. So maybe that's why Americans (in my area) choose 20's/24's/28's.

Quote:
What?? The Xray rims are some of the most solid wheels around, If you crack one, I can buy a new one for you, 'cause that deserves a prize!
Deal! I will be mounting these tires onto the Xray rims. This season I've been a pretty consistant A-mainer, so I do hope not to crack anything, but my own lap times. Plus the tires sit so much better on them. Which brings me back to the question of what are other good alternative wheels?

Quote:
Considering that all racing tires these days are belted, that is nothing you need to think of.
Excellent! Thanks!

Quote:
If you run 26mm tires, run 26mm rims. If you run 24mm tires, run 24mm rims...
Makes sense. I guess that's why there are so many 26mm rims left sitting on my LHS's shelf.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 PM   #162
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I usually race foam inside. I tried rubber about 3 weeks ago. I love the feel. Feels like outdoor racing (my favorite). I totally see why rubber tire racing is more popular at the local tracks now.

I broke a wheel on some new takeoff 27s. I had some 2 year old 27's. I replaced the broken wheel and did not feel a difference in traction. So I gotta believe these tires have lasting power.

I'm a converted rubber tire basher. I've seen the Light Amen!!
PhatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:00 AM   #163
Tech Regular

Quote:
Whats the difference between JB foams inserts and a molded insert?
The JB foam is, hence the name, a foam insert. It's made of lightweight foam, and a set of four weighs less than one molded insert.....

Quote:
But finding Sorex 32's and JB's around here is pretty tough. So maybe that's why Americans (in my area) choose 20's/24's/28's.
Aha....

Quote:
Deal! I will be mounting these tires onto the Xray rims. This season I've been a pretty consistant A-mainer, so I do hope not to crack anything, but my own lap times. Plus the tires sit so much better on them. Which brings me back to the question of what are other good alternative wheels?
The Barracuda, Speedmind, Proline velocity, Schumacher, Losi, Nosram/LRP Vtec, and some more... The easiest wheels to crack are the Sorex wheels, they're good, but solid like thin glass....
Old 03-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #164
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the list Martin!

Is there an online store that you trust which carries the JB's? Which one would you prefer for stock racing on carpet? I race at a small high-grip track and also a med/large medium-grip track.

Thanks again for all your input!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:01 PM   #165
Tech Regular

I shop my inserts and tires at my LHS(Only thing I buy there ), and I haven't found many places to by JB Foams. What you can do is either contact your nearest Orion/Peak dealer and ask him to order Ori71020 and Ori71021, or you can contact [email protected] wich is a danish shop, tat introduced JB inserts to this world!

The first number is the regular blue medium insert, and the second is the new Blue, with a soft yellow part in the middle for a tad more grip. Both of them work very well!

No problem, I'm happy to help!