Wiki Posts
Search

Weight Balance

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Weight Balance

Where is everyone balancing their cars at, front to back? Even 50/50. More towards the front?

What would the benefit of one or the other be?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

This may be helpful.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

Generally about 50/50 on most modern TCs, that makes the most out of the grip available.

Going rearwards will create oversteer on the way into the corner but should increase traction under power.

Going forwards will create understeer on the way into the corner and when changing direction, and may reduce rear traction under power.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Balance left to right, add weight forward centerline to make minimum weight, drive it.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by daleburr
Generally about 50/50 on most modern TCs, that makes the most out of the grip available.

Going rearwards will create oversteer on the way into the corner but should increase traction under power.

Going forwards will create understeer on the way into the corner and when changing direction, and may reduce rear traction under power.
??? This seems opposite from my thinking. Adding weight to the rear of the car makes the turn in faster? I would like adding weight to the front of the car would give it more traction and help the turning. I have a lot to learn!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleburr

Originally Posted by Mera'din
??? This seems opposite from my thinking. Adding weight to the rear of the car makes the turn in faster? I would like adding weight to the front of the car would give it more traction and help the turning. I have a lot to learn!
Ford Mustang: Plows into corners and loose off the corner Fr/Rr 60/40
Porsche 911: Loose off power into the corner and planted off the corner Fr/Rr 40/60
Old 11-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

As ever with setup there are two things to consider which have seemingly opposite effects.

First is simply the weight distribution. Fundamentally the axle with more weight over it will have more grip.

The second is inertia. The axle with more weight over it will be less inclined to change direction.

In road cars, this inertia is what makes people assume that front-engined cars understeer. In a steady-state mid-corner this isn't true, but it is harder to get that 200kg engine that is hanging over the front axle to go into the corner. The opposite is true of rear-engined cars, which is why the 911 is famous for it's traction within the tyre limits. And why it is also famous as a ditch-catcher once you go beyond those limits.

In an RC touring car where the weight is all within the axles and where the weight distribution changes by less than a couple of percent depending on where you put your 30g of ballast, I can't say I've ever noticed the inertia effect. I just get understeer from a rear-heavy car and oversteer from a front-heavy car.

I can notice the difference between a mid-motor 2wd buggy and a rear-motor 2wd buggy - but that is a car that is softly sprung with 200gm hanging beyond the rear axle.

Others may have different experiences.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I seen people weight their car from each wheel.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iDChuck
I seen people weight their car from each wheel.
Bought this for weighting all my vehicles.
Its the best!

http://www.lefthander-rc.com/catalog...oducts_id=1638
Old 11-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice scale ! Droop settings are also key for weight transfer...
Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Would having too little drrop cause a car to understeer? I was playing around with my recoil (1/14th scale) and I typically run 2mm front and 3mm rear droop. I fugured it was a smaller car so I went with smaller droop settings. The rear of the car seemed pretty planted but the front understeered pretty bad. Never traction rolled once though which was nice.

Would changing the droop setting front or rear help or should I put a stiffer spring in there?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mera'din
Would having too little drrop cause a car to understeer? I was playing around with my recoil (1/14th scale) and I typically run 2mm front and 3mm rear droop. I fugured it was a smaller car so I went with smaller droop settings. The rear of the car seemed pretty planted but the front understeered pretty bad. Never traction rolled once though which was nice.

Would changing the droop setting front or rear help or should I put a stiffer spring in there?
Well, droop is a different topic than weight balance, but essentially less droop (downtravel) means less grip/more response.