R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2004, 08:02 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Rematching Batteries

Has anyone had any experience with rematching older cells? I have some packs that I have been running for a while that are falling off. I have noticed that during equalization some cells die faster than others. To me rematching seems like a good way to weed out individual cells that have deteriorated and maybe bring some packs back up to a club competition level. Thanks
jlrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:51 AM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

I have tried this on my Turbomatcher in the past...to rematch older cells. It all depends on the condition of the cells you start with. But for me, after all the time and effort put into remathing, and then the performance received after they were rematched, I would have rather ended up buying new cells...but this is only with tired cells
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

has anyone tried matching cells on the LRP Pulsar Competition 1/2??
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JDXray
has anyone tried matching cells on the LRP Pulsar Competition 1/2??
I am sure someone would have tried but it woulod take forever to rematch several packs with that charger.
There are guys at my track that will rematch packs for $5-$10.00 a pack. I would rather do that than spend all that time.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:16 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
I am sure someone would have tried but it woulod take forever to rematch several packs with that charger.
There are guys at my track that will rematch packs for $5-$10.00 a pack. I would rather do that than spend all that time.
Okay i was just wondering since i have that feature and never used it, and i doubt that i will. thanks
Jon
Old 12-03-2004, 01:27 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JDXray
Okay i was just wondering since i have that feature and never used it, and i doubt that i will. thanks
Jon
I am sure it will do the job fine but you can only do one cell at a time. Where on a Turbo Matcher, you can do up to 4 cells at once...saving a lot of time!

Plus, personally, I would rather use the same matcher on my packs that the big matchers use.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:34 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
I am sure it will do the job fine but you can only do one cell at a time. Where on a Turbo Matcher, you can do up to 4 cells at once...saving a lot of time!

Plus, personally, I would rather use the same matcher on my packs that the big matchers use.
Thats true also, just wondering about it. I think they should have took that feature (matching) and raised the discharging rate to 20 or 30amps which would be nice.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:38 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

even if you rematch, and re do cells in to good pasks, they still wont run like a new pack.. use em for practice, and buy some new sticks.. after u figure in rice per cell to zap ans rematch,, new shrink wrap.. shipping to have them match.. re assembly stuff.. for a little more u can have a couple of new packs..

there is alot of good matchers selling 4 and 6 cell packs for under 40 bucks.. good numbers to...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:52 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

a guy rematched them for free for me. he said that there was a couple of bad cells. i thought the packs were really good on the track. i guess it was good to get the bad ones out.
jlrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:03 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

By the time you de-solder them and re-solder, the packs will probably be hurt more then helped...
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:49 AM   #11

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've rematched several of my packs, it's how I keep one pack my very best pack.

I do not have any high end equipment to do it, but I did come up with packs of cells that are pretty evenly matched. When I discharge the packs at the end of the day all of the cells go down evenly, only my worse pack still has unmatched cells and that is only because it is made up of all of the cast-off cells.

After cycling the packs and equilizing the cells I drained them all down @ 30 amps and measured the voltage and run time in seconds of each cell just using voltmeters and a digital stop watch. I ran the cells down to .2 volts, the cells that took the longest to discharge to .9v I put together into packs according to how long they took to discharge. It is by no means a very scientific way of doing it, and it doesn't really tell you a dead-on accurate average voltage, but it works. Its easiest on similarly aged packs that have the same type of cells to start with when new.

If you solder correctly there should not be enough heat going into the battery to actually harm it. I've resoldered onto batteries dozens of times without any noticable ill effect.

And no, they won't run like a brand new pack, because they are not new cells .. but you can be sure to have a better pack out of it - and if your racing on a budget that can help a lot. Not everyone can purchase new cells every season. I'm running 1 1/2 year old SMC cells and they are still working pretty well. I've got a from a pretty good pack (almost as new) to a really crappy pack. Which is much nicer than having several mediocre packs. One pack still averages around 1.116v for 400 seconds. It's aging, but its more than enough for a 5 minute race.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote