R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2005, 07:27 AM   #106
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

wow, decided to see what the word on the TC4 has been as I will be doing some racing against it with a rare car ( STR4-Pro ).

I had a TC3 before, I liked it better than the XXX-S I had and it was a missile with the BMI Chassis Conversion on it. But I will admit, was a very sloppy car.

Now to hear the TC4 is sloppy and has some issues, though the design appears to be sound, very sad. Touring racing isn't like 2wd E-offroad racing where in the USA at least its two default chassis to run, either Losi or AE. AE needs to be on the ball and get quality out there to compete.

I will commend Losi, I like the fact that there touring vehicle looks to be coming out all done up instead of the standard release the plastic approach done before.

All these problems will probably be cleared up in a years time, when the release of the FT version is done. Part of what sucks to be on one of the first buyers.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:44 AM   #107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Actually, most of the problems have been addressed. I even heard about a new steering rack that's available that should take some slop out.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:53 AM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Just curious to what has been fixed?

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Actually, most of the problems have been addressed. I even heard about a new steering rack that's available that should take some slop out.
I got a set of the new front and rear arms and I can't tell the difference. They are the same other than I can see a tad bit more material on the front arm near the shock screw, but that's it. It didn't come close to matching up where someone posted a pic of the "New" arms showing more material down the length of the arm. I wonder where this picture came from? An old/new TC3 arm photo? I installed them and I can't tell the difference. I'm not bashing. I would just like to know what has been fixed, since no one from AE has confirmed this, per their website or anyone from the company.

What did they do to the steering rack? I did noticed that the top part of the rack holes were much larger than the bushings. This seems to be a big part of the slop.

Last edited by RCknight; 01-05-2005 at 08:59 AM.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:04 AM   #109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Old and new set of arms look identical...no differences that I can see externally.

The difference is...the old arm, if you held the ball cup on the top of the C-hub and wiggled you'd get about 4-5mm of "wiggle" to either side. The new ones have 1-2mm "wiggle"

Not sure about the rack...may just be a rumor.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #110
Tech Elite

Default I just talked to Don from tech support...

he said the only thing that was changed was the toe blocks and diff gears. Nothing was changed on the arms according to him. Who knows.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #111
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

What thickness of shims under the silver ballstuds on the inner camber linkposition equals the top set of holes in the TC3 shock tower? Front and rear?

THanks in advance,
Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:41 AM   #112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Post tc4steering

does any body think that the tc4 has a little too much slope from side too side ?

i filed down my nut bits in the rack and has improved the steering heaps its much easier to set up toe in and out an not wonder if the wheels are really straight or not ....
just my thought but ....
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #113
Tech Regular

The picture posted of old arms vs new, to me looks exactly like old (current composite) vs new (Carbon) the carbon arms look identical to the photo of the new arms.

My LHS just recently received more arms in stock, and I do not know if they are supposed to be the new version or not, but they certainly look nothing like the "new"/carbon arms in those photos.
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:35 PM   #114
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

since I started this thread I got a schumacher mi2........and all I can say is dammmmnnn..the schui is 1000 times smoother (to me) than my tc3..
but this could be because there are schui team drivers at my local track that want to promote the mi2.....and offer all sorts of help with set-up, motor selection, ect,.
anyway...
I have no regrets with spending the extra $$ to get the kit or put up with the parts availibility...because the mi2 is just so smooth and assuring on the track..even for a noob like me!
hogdaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:51 AM   #115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

today was a great day had the tc4 on fire beating all the yokomo's it took plenty of time in set up but it is worth it i dont think the tc4 is a good car out of the box ....

and i still broke a arm in the first race i dont think they are any stronger it wasnt a hard it .......
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:21 PM   #116
Tech Adept

probably shouldn't put my uneducated two cents in here, but i will anyway.
Doesn't seem worth the trouble to get a tc3 over a tc4, not enough changes were made.

With all the eye candy out there, why didn't associated make something more attractive? I realize this sometimes has nothing to do with performance, but it's kinda of like looking at a woman, you want the hot one first, even if she's a looney toon, and you'd likely be willing to take her in and mold her to be a better person.

Look at all the attractive cars that are great to look at, xrays, corally's, barracudas, pro4's, tamiya's.
Then you have the boring the tc4.

Now i like belts more than shafts, but if i had to have a shaft car it would certainly have a carbon fiber chasis, not some POS tub chasis. And you shouldn't have to shell out another 100+ dollars to get one. It should be a choice not a necessity.

You can give me all your technical blabber, but the fact is that people like to have a good looking car, and the tc4 is not one of them. Times changed and associated didn't, if that thing came all carbon fiber, tc3 owners would be beating down their door to get it, regardless of how it ran.
2000xp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:46 AM   #117
Tech Elite

Default I don't think the TC4 will be that fastest...

hunk of junk on the planet.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:41 AM   #118
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Regardless of what you may think associated just is answering the call to whatever complaints that everyone had with the tc3. Everyone was WINNING races yet complained about the chassis, and the steering, and the battery posistion on the chassis, etc. Associateed answered that call by engineering a new car that had the same tc3 concpets with all the needed updates that should have made the car unstopable. But as we can all tell there is obviously a difference in there and its taking some time to grasp from all of the owners of the car. Here soon someone will find something off the wall that will make the car fast and thats what everyone will be doing to get fast. A carbon kit costs 50 bucks. And this may be wrong, but the reason that I think the chassis is still the tub "boring" look is because it keeps costs down. I paid $200 dollars for my tc4. Thats it. Look at the prices of some of these "better" cars and you will see. My tc4 is faster than my tc3 and is getting faster. Its coming around and before you know it, your going to want one too.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #119
Tech Adept

I'd like to say that i can't remember seeing even one top notch tc3 driver using a tub chasis at our track in the past year.
All had IRS or BMI.

They know the car is going to be raced, so why not just put together a nice chasis, hell the last factory team tc3 was $300 not much different cost than all the other top end cars.
And i'll expect the tc4 factory team will be over $300 as well, there goes that low cost you claim to be there. Saving a few bucks on the original car cost means nothing if you need to add alot of parts to get it to top performance.
2000xp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #120
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Hmmm, we have only one BMI chassis that I've seen and it's an x-ray.

I've been racing AE stuff for quite a while and here's my two takes on the TC-4

1. Rayhuang was right - this car is brand new and the amount of complaining about the TC-3 when it was new was insane. I know that I complained about it's brittle-ness a TON. I had just come from a Pro2 to the TC-3. . .

2. Not only did AE make some subtle fundamental changes to the suspension and chassis (weight distro, etc.) but they added a TON of adjustment possibilities.

What's the best way to confuse an RC racer? Give him new ways to adjust his car!

The TC3, orginally, didn't even have droop screws, remember? No way to change much of anything at all.

Now we can change kick-up, anti-squat, droop, cg, . . . . . . .

of course we're going to complain! We have no real idea where to start since the stock setup is obviously not right for racing. . .