Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you! >

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtfour93
The logo is nostalgic! I googled it to see an actual picture of the track, but came up with this instead, with the blinking effect.

Edit: Found a track photo.

http://10thscale.blogspot.com/p/ranch-pit-shop.html
Those pics are the Del Mar location. This seems to clear up the history.

Last edited by syndr0me; 11-03-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
That's the wrong rear pod, but you probably know that.
yep, had agitator, then went Delta.

Took you long enough to find the thread (I'm gonna be counting on you to help fill a lot of gaps too.)
Yeo was here earlier hanging out, you just missed him.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-04-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Lord

Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Tech Lord

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11257

Interesting thread there, seems Gil Losi Sr. owned the Del Mar Skate Park and Jr. made his first off-road track there. Their skateboard brand had a deck called the "Street Weapon."
Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I actually do remember that car. It's the 2 pics that show different pods. The car with the body is the one I remember, but it didn't have the newer style delta pod at that time. Very nice car either way.

I have talked to Terry as recently as the Chill race in BC a month ago. I think he just comes out to see if I'm still sucking wind or not, lol.

So many races, so many faces and so many stories. It's funny looking at that pic and thinking how young Mitch and Jason where when I first meet them and their dads.

It be interesting of even doing a directory of all the past racers in our area alone, not necessarily a history but a name listing.

I'm sure we will talk again as the project goes on. This should be interesting.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Bob, maybe you could make your way over to the Indoorchamps thread. They could really use your prospective regarding Blinky vs. boost..heck maybe even aa history lession on how we killed the 235 pan cars...similar to how we are killing Mod 1/12th and all the 1/12th classes..
Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cookie1
Hey Bob, maybe you could make your way over to the Indoorchamps thread. They could really use your prospective regarding Blinky vs. boost..heck maybe even aa history lession on how we killed the 235 pan cars...similar to how we are killing Mod 1/12th and all the 1/12th classes..
This is not going to come as any kind of a surprise to anybody... I have a LOT of opinions on that. :P
Old 11-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cookie.. We are not killing 12th scale . If anything people are now starting to enjoy them more and more. The classes will sort out and things will be fine. The internet is what is really killing classes . To many keyboard jockeys...

Mike
Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I see 1/12th making a bit of a revival in my area.

Hey Bob, got any Vicfor cars in your collection? It was my first pan car (gold tub RC10 being first of all). Would love to see a few pics.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mike Blackstock
Cookie.. We are not killing 12th scale . If anything people are now starting to enjoy them more and more. The classes will sort out and things will be fine. The internet is what is really killing classes . To many keyboard jockeys...

Mike
+1 ... Forums have done more harm than good in a lot of instances, but this thread is an example of something good. Bob, I love the idea of this project. I wish I'd kept my old gear now.

1/12 is in full swing here, we have had more heats of pan car at our club than sedan. We have a full B-Main on Wednesday nights. It's thrilling to see as a lover of on road racing.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Mike

Actually, to many "anonymous" keyboard Jockeys. Be a kinder, gentler internet if we all had to log in as ourselves. I'm on every RC forum under my own name. Makes me think twice in a lot of situations.

If you are indeed Mike Blackstock as you say you are.

Much respect from me for logging on as yourself. harder to be a D-bag when people know who we all are.

I take a lot of what I see, and use it in our own racing and classes I help with. Last class I developed was for the Minot 2-day. Everybody that attended said it was the funnest thing they'd ever done. AND, we had somebody win that hadn't before, and THAT made me the happiest. Very successful. Very equal, as was the perception of equality that I made sure to create. All anybody wants is a fair chance. Heck, I invented the class and almost didn't make the main. most smiles and laughter I'd seen in a long time.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-05-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
No, to many "anonymous" keyboard Jockeys. Be a kinder, gentler internet if we all had to log in as ourselves. I'm on every RC forum under my own name. Makes me think twice in a lot of situations.

If you are indeed Mike Blackstock as you say you are.

Much respect from me for logging on as yourself. harder to be a D-bag when people know who we all are.

I take a lot of what I see, and use it in our own racing and classes I help with. Last class I developed was for the Minot 2-day. Everybody that attended said it was the funnest thing they'd ever done. AND, we had somebody win that hadn't before, and THAT made me the happiest. Very successful. Very equal, as was the perception of equality that I made sure to create. All anybody wants is a fair chance. most smiles and laughter I'd seen in a long time.
Right on BOB....

IT is me HAHA.. Wish i could come to MT to do that race again.. :-)

What you are doing is awesome. Wish i had some old cars and pictures etc.

Yep i can only give my opinion on what i have been through, Which is pretty much everything one time in this hobby...

I will be watching

Mike
Old 11-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Mike
Amen!
Old 11-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radi0Flyer
Jeff,

My heart is a bit heavier now, I'm sorry for your loss.

My father passed away ten years ago and I miss him.
Memories of my Dad are part of why 12th scale is so special to me. My last memories of my family we're with him driving me around to Hot Tracks in Huntington Beach, San Bernadino, Pomona, and Costa Mesa. I can't see how I will ever be so happy racing as was in those days 85'

I hope my Dad comes to watch when I go to race with David at TQ

That would mean the world to me

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
As far as I know the Ranch Pit Stop was always in Pomona.
I raced there from 89" till they went all dirty.
The original 8th scale layout was badd-ass with a 12th scale

E&L was in the North County San Diego, Del Mar area
I remember a race with you there. Some series around your area. Pro Stars we're the tire to have and when I was in the lead I came to lap you and I couldn't catch you no matter how hard I tried. It was a lot of carnage and I got through it or it'd been a closer race

Glad to see so many people with the passion.

Just like my love for pan, there are people getting in the hobby now, that will look back 25 years from now with fond memories of Short Course racing. They will likely dedicate a lot of time and resources to showing us how it was done "back in the day" with an SC10 or a Slash.

Yea, about that site. I appreciate the work that person has done. He's got a partial car of mine on that site that he photoshoped my name off of, and then posted the car. I mentioned to him that he should pull it, not because I'm irritated by scrubbing the name off the photo, but because the photo is not exactly of the car he's represented it to be. If were gonna show the car, show the right car. That's my only complaint, not that he's using the photo, but because the information is wrong on my car that he's showing. It's the remains of a Dialed pan car that I was hacking up with associated shocks and some other parts I made. the guy is cool, I like his site and visit it frequently. It's good we have folks like that looking out for the legacy cars.

Yea, you'd think so... until you end up helping.. and you will end up helping. Show me your PP ... Back in the day a guy named Reinhardt worked here. Rick gave him a 50 deal on motors to run for Peak. He had those Peak Performance stickers with the big PP on them (Peak Performance). SO it became the thing whenever he got a new motor, "Hey man, look at my PP !" and then subsequently the conversation degraded at the track to things like, "Dude, I touched your PP and it burned my finger." you could carry that innuendo on for DAYS.

Changing the name to just PEAK, probably for the best, as those kinds of marketing decisions go.

Reinhardt was also the guy that coined the phrase, "Dorkmissle".

Wish I would have, just like syndr0me getting to race at Hot Trick, that would have been epic to be there. It would appear that I was more of a Northwest/Midwest kinda racer.
Never used such a cool and awesome motor as Rick's. Would still only run his motors if they we're out there or at least put the cool yellow PP stickers on a new motor ...lol

Can you spare a PP motor sticker Rick ...lol

Still remember the 22 Quad Double green dot that Randy Hunter won nat's with. Rick won stock that year. I won my first Modified B main at Cambell with that same motor

Yep, and we were. Black and white photo... I swear to you, I'm not short. The two guys on either side of me were 6'2" and like 6'4".

RacinJ is on the lower right. Mitch Witteman lower left. Me in the center in the back, with the Ogre's. Car Action guy took this photo and sent it to me.

Here's the car I ran in that picture. Agitator back, my chassis design using the new 3 hole 12L front, and and a shock I made myself. based on the color of the rear rim, prolly Delta Golds on the back. Or a Delta rim with yokomo rubber.
Honestly Lucas's Agitator car was my favorite. The "actuator" suspension is still my favorite and would run it still if I had the machinery to make it work for the modern cars. Dampning/spring all in one removable piece. I remember watching other's using it a concord hobby track and I just had to have it and two weeks later I did. I remember looking at Lucas's cars at Hot Tracks in hunington Beach and they we're the coolest thing ever so to actually have one was like OMFG

I'll do my part to bring 12th back as the "still the fastest on road class for over 30 years almost"

Thanks for the thread Bob

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 11-05-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gomer3245
Great idea!! I started racing at the first Heart of America race in 1971 or 72 and wrote an article for the HOA web site a few years ago. You can find it under heartofamericaseries. Click on about on the site for the complete story. I raced mainly gas onroad for many years and still race it as well as offroad and onroad electric and some oval racing. Another person that you might contact is Bob Rule from Bo Link. I think he is still living. If there is anything that I can do let me know and I will see if I can help. Arlynn Simon ROAR #115
WOW - as others have said - GREAT thread! And, it's good to see Arlynn found this thread - he was one of my many mentors back in the day.

My 'career' if you will started around December of 1985 - with a Traxxas Cat given to my son as a Christmas present and a question that went something like: 'OK, that's pretty cool but what can you REALLY do with them?'.... From that point it was ON - and the onroad phase in the late '80s and early '90s was with Arlynn and his boys - who schooled my son and I in just about every scale and class!

I began writing back in the early '90s for RC News, Competition Plus, Radio Control Model Cars, Radio Race Car International and currently RC Driver. That in it's self is pretty insignificent except for the fact that I have saved a copy of EVERY issue of EVERY magazine that I wrote for. That's a pretty substantial several storage totes of 'stuff' - that is generally filled with more interesting things than the little bits that I wrote.

A by-product of all of that is a LOT of pictures - many of which were terrible (film photography has a very FLAT learning curve) but lots and lots of pictures - most of which I have but some of which might still be in the 'custody' of my ex-wife. I've scanned a few of these for my web site and for RC10talk.com but haven't even scratched the surface of what I have. Most of this is just Midwestern stuff (although I had many enjoyable weekends racing with Dave and Ken Campbell). I was taking notes and writing about the Dudgeon/A Main truck conversions from the beginning and I'm pleased to have been a part of that bit of history and able to run those unique and forward thinking vehicles!

I will be glad to help in any way possible - and that may be in furnishing scans of articles from now defunct magazines! BUT, I'll be glad to help in any way that I can! I'm still working full time and still racing (or my version thereof!) as often as possible!

Chris Kovachevich

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.