Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you! >

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Can't wait to see this start to build, Bob. If you ever need any help...

Strange that you would use a link to my reproduction decals instead of just posting the name of the track? Odd to see them blinking here on the forums. LOL

Originally Posted by gtfour93
Hey Bob, did you ever race at this place in SoCal back in the 80's?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This whole thread makes me feel like a yearling, and compared to the guys I race with I guess I am. Most race days when we run out of things to talk about the discussion turns to years and races past, and to hear some of the tin-and-fiberglass contraptions that people raced back in the day is something. Like super early associated 12 cars (like the 12E), Bolink stuff, and pan cars with no rear pod, no diff, and the front suspension consisted of slotting the chassis for flex, and all of it still ran eight minutes on flashlight batteries. There were also tales of pan cars with gear diffs, how the 12L was a massive advancement in the technology of pan car racing, cheating with silver can motors and hand-winding ringer arms, and here my first pan car was a CRC Carpet Knife 3.2 with all of the bells and whistles.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Awesome stuff Bob! I owe u a return call regarding my "Baby Lynx", I will track you down tomorrow!

Take care.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrod87
JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU BOB
very kind.

I'm cautiously optimistic of this whole thing. This is not going to be easy, or happen fast. But I think I have decent idea of the time required. So we're not headed into this blindly. I suppose to really analyze the work required, Imagine having to write reviews for every car made, and find everybody involved and filter this information down into something like "print media". Be like having to put together 5-6 car action magazines full of information. It will take time.

Originally Posted by Dork Missile
Now i find out the originator of "Dork Missile"....and i thought it was the imfamous Bob Stormer! Thank you Bob for starting this project...i'm not sure how i can help out,except to maybe tell some of your funny stories from racing. It's been guys like you that kept me interested throughout these years...on and off. It was very cool to meet your son...and re establish a friendship. (i don't wanna discuss the results from this years Hank!) hahaha!
Rheinhardt was the Dorkmissle creator. That actual phrase came about back in the day when Bob was in a band playing clubs. Really drunk dudes on the dance floor that were, flying about, flailing around were referred to as "Dorkmissle's". Hey guys, check out the Dorkmissle in left corner.

Right about the time the 10L came out you, myself and Mitch ran 10 pan in Regina at some race. We had a heck of a freight train going on for over 2 minutes, and I was in the middle, biffed it, ruined the train and finished behind you for 3rd. I found that body recently and am restoring that car to the way it was at that race. was a 1/10 TOJ on a fiberglass 10L. I used that car, the one time. Fiberglass, what was I thinking?

Originally Posted by Tyree Phillips
Hey Bob, this is a great idea. Thanks for starting this thread!
Don't kid yourself, you'll end up helping in some way. ...lol...

Originally Posted by Murray
Awesome stuff Bob! I owe u a return call regarding my "Baby Lynx", I will track you down tomorrow!
Let me know.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Team Dorkmissle, National Champions.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squarehead
Strange that you would use a link to my reproduction decals instead of just posting the name of the track? Odd to see them blinking here on the forums. LOL
The logo is nostalgic! I googled it to see an actual picture of the track, but came up with this instead, with the blinking effect.

Edit: Found a track photo.

http://10thscale.blogspot.com/p/ranch-pit-shop.html
Old 11-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
found that body recently and am restoring that car to the way it was at that race. was a 1/10 TOJ on a fiberglass 10L. I used that car, the one time. Fiberglass, what was I thinking?

Let me know.
Wish I could find an old toj body for the wide pan I still run..
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Nice project! My RC history is not that deep, but I remember my friend had a Kyosho 4wd pan back in the days. I think this is the one:
http://www93.sakura.ne.jp/~time-tunn...antom-ext.html

When I still lived in Japan early 80s, my neighbor had the Porsche 934 Turbo RSR(which was considered old at that time already). Not sure if the chassis was the original, but I remember that green body racing around at the lot.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RacinJ
Team Dorkmissle, National Champions.
Yep, and we were. Black and white photo... I swear to you, I'm not short. The two guys on either side of me were 6'2" and like 6'4".

RacinJ is on the lower right. Mitch Witteman lower left. Me in the center in the back, with the Ogre's. Car Action guy took this photo and sent it to me.

Here's the car I ran in that picture. Agitator back, my chassis design using the new 3 hole 12L front, and and a shock I made myself. based on the color of the rear rim, prolly Delta Golds on the back. Or a Delta rim with yokomo rubber.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

I miss the wheel disc's.

Especially the ".89" fluorescent orange one's.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Holy crap, Jason. I was thinking about that car in the above pic. So just now I went looking and I found it at the bottom of a box in the back.

Based on the way the axles pointing out the wrong side in the back, looks like I ended up converting to the Delta pod and Hyperdive belts before it was retired.

I should restore that car. (adds it to the list). I bet that body is here somewhere too.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Great idea!! I started racing at the first Heart of America race in 1971 or 72 and wrote an article for the HOA web site a few years ago. You can find it under heartofamericaseries. Click on about on the site for the complete story. I raced mainly gas onroad for many years and still race it as well as offroad and onroad electric and some oval racing. Another person that you might contact is Bob Rule from Bo Link. I think he is still living. If there is anything that I can do let me know and I will see if I can help. Arlynn Simon ROAR #115
Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gomer3245
Great idea!! I started racing at the first Heart of America race in 1971 or 72 and wrote an article for the HOA web site a few years ago. You can find it under heartofamericaseries. Click on about on the site for the complete story. I raced mainly gas onroad for many years and still race it as well as offroad and onroad electric and some oval racing. Another person that you might contact is Bob Rule from Bo Link. I think he is still living. If there is anything that I can do let me know and I will see if I can help. Arlynn Simon ROAR #115
Man, ^^^this guy^^^ seriously OG.

Not only is Bob Rule alive and kicking, he emailed me this morning. basically I wrote him and said, "You still alive?" lulz

Here's what he had to say,
"I be here alive and well in Atlanta. Rick Jordan lives about 30 miles from me. -Bob"

So Bob is still here. Which is good. Truth be told, I read about 20 internet posts to the contrary, so that was nice. I KNOW, he's got some great RC storys and stuff we need to get written down and keep track of. Same with Rick.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

inquiring minds want to know....Team Dorkmissile Decal sheets? is there a revival?

cool seeing all that old 1/12 scale chassis'...the old brushed motor days and limited batteries really made it exciting racing!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That's the wrong rear pod, but you probably know that. Bob rule sends me a e-Xmas card every year. The man never forgets a person.

I have a story about rolling into a race in ND, there was this guy there with a A-frame peg board and some stuff hanging on it for sale.....man he was sporting a real bad hair cut too, but he sure could draw and drive too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.