Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you! >

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, Bob Stormer yet again proves to be my hero. I've logged 25 years in this hobby, and I've placed an order or two with Stormer through the years.
There's NOBODY I've ever met, with more passion and dedication to this hobby/sport. This is gonna be a true winner.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Bob-

Great post...really enjoyed reading it. Makes me think back to when I got started and the fond memories. I honestly think this would be fascinating enough to support a book project. Let's be honest...there are a lot of radio controlled cars sold every year throughout the world. Understanding the history would be amazing. But more importantly it is required. Too many of us "Racers" sometimes forget where we started and how things have evolved over time. There are still so many people with such great memories that need to be recorded before they are all gone. Talking with people like Steve Rossi and Eric Davis about the "old days" is just so fun. I love hearing about..."Back in the day we used to..."

You are a good writer and do not think for a second that you cannot articulate the words to describe something you are clearly very passionate about.

Let me know how I can help
Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

What a great idea, I'm looking forward to all the great stories and pics from back in the day. I started with a 12i back in the mid 80's, thinking back to all the handmade things that you saw makes for some great memories. We've never met but one of our local racers grew up racing in your neck of the woods and has relayed a story or two as we carpool to the carpet track. Dont leave out the good stuff.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

great idea!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

I'd buy such a book even if is 99% chronological photos and 1% text!

But having read your post any n all text from you is going to be sensational!!

Great idea. Fantastic passion to motivate you. 1 book sold already! !!!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by StarrRacing
Bob, Outstanding Idea, thank you for your efforts on behalf of all of us.

It sucks to get "old" and start to realize your time is getting short.
I lost my oldest brother 2 weeks ago, my dad when I was 8, and my mom in 1986.
Life must go on.

God Bless you, Jeff Starr
(racer since early '80's with my 3 sons)
Jeff,

My heart is a bit heavier now, I'm sorry for your loss.

My father passed away ten years ago and I miss him. I don't think he really ever understood my RC passion, but he funded it because he knew it kept me out of trouble. He never came to see me race, the only time he set foot at the track was to tell me my grandmother passed away one morning. I started to pack up and that's when he told me something I'll never forget. He told me to stay because right then, it was more important for me to be with my friends. He didn't know RC but he knew people. Of all the things I've been involved in during my life, I can unequivocally say that everybody I have met through RC was a friend. Years later I proposed to my wife at a race, precisely because my friends were all there. We've been married 14 years last August, and we too have three sons.

Bob,

What a great idea! The history is important, but not so much because of the cars, but because of the people and their stories. Sure a picture is worth a 1000 words but sometimes a thousand words is worth countless pictures in your imagination. I've never been to the "Whip" or the "Ranch" and never been to a World Nat but I have read about them and imagined how it must have been to be there. In many ways that's probably better than if I had seen a YouTube video instead.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing this project come together.

Sean
Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Bob, this is going to be excellent. It is kind of amazing to think that I have been in this for 11 years now. Last night we were working on setting up the track in Sawyer and had some of the new guys there to help. Randy, Buttsy and myself were remembering the last time we were in sawyer running Corally 12th scales. The new guys didn't even know what a "G" was much less a T-bar car.

Everyone's comments about there dad's support got me thinking about my own Dad who still comes to watch a race or two. The last 235mm open class up in Regina that Bob was speaking of, I was also there with a car. My dad sat on the bleachers beside the track and recorded every qualifier of my 3 classes that weekend. It was excellent. Bob was right though, those cars would fly off the end of the straightaway like crazy. I think I could even round up some of the footage if you needed it Bob. Good luck with the project and hope to see you here in December for the Northstar Classic!!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hey Bob, did you ever race at this place in SoCal back in the 80's?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtfour93

I did when it was called E&L. Didn't it move around a few times?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I read on another thread that they did moved around to different locations.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

As far as I know the Ranch Pit Stop was always in Pomona.
I raced there from 89" till they went all dirty.
The original 8th scale layout was badd-ass with a 12th scale

E&L was in the North County San Diego, Del Mar area
Old 11-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Glad to see so many people with the passion.

Just like my love for pan, there are people getting in the hobby now, that will look back 25 years from now with fond memories of Short Course racing. They will likely dedicate a lot of time and resources to showing us how it was done "back in the day" with an SC10 or a Slash.

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
cool, i am looking forward to the website as well. I am not sure in what direction the website wil go to but someone in germany made a pro10 history webpage with movies/ pictures and dates. You might already know about that website?( It might help fill in the blanks if you have any)
Yea, about that site. I appreciate the work that person has done. He's got a partial car of mine on that site that he photoshoped my name off of, and then posted the car. I mentioned to him that he should pull it, not because I'm irritated by scrubbing the name off the photo, but because the photo is not exactly of the car he's represented it to be. If were gonna show the car, show the right car. That's my only complaint, not that he's using the photo, but because the information is wrong on my car that he's showing. It's the remains of a Dialed pan car that I was hacking up with associated shocks and some other parts I made. the guy is cool, I like his site and visit it frequently. It's good we have folks like that looking out for the legacy cars.

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
great idea!
Yea, you'd think so... until you end up helping.. and you will end up helping. Show me your PP ... Back in the day a guy named Reinhardt worked here. Rick gave him a 50 deal on motors to run for Peak. He had those Peak Performance stickers with the big PP on them (Peak Performance). SO it became the thing whenever he got a new motor, "Hey man, look at my PP !" and then subsequently the conversation degraded at the track to things like, "Dude, I touched your PP and it burned my finger." you could carry that innuendo on for DAYS.

Changing the name to just PEAK, probably for the best, as those kinds of marketing decisions go.

Reinhardt was also the guy that coined the phrase, "Dorkmissle".

Originally Posted by gtfour93
[/IMG]
Wish I would have, just like syndr0me getting to race at Hot Trick, that would have been epic to be there. It would appear that I was more of a Northwest/Midwest kinda racer.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great Stuff Bob.. So many memories and stories to last a lifetime for sure..

Thanks for what you are doing...

Mike
Old 11-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
As far as I know the Ranch Pit Stop was always in Pomona.
I raced there from 89" till they went all dirty.
The original 8th scale layout was badd-ass with a 12th scale

E&L was in the North County San Diego, Del Mar area
The Ranch Pit Shop in Pomona was previously Thorp Raceway.

I am not sure of the history of the Del Mar Track. It started as an on-road track then was covered with dirt. It was the Ranch Pit Shop Del Mar for a while and later E&L. I don't think it opened originally as "The Ranch".

The Del Mar facility did have the smallest indoor carpet track I'd ever seen. I raced on it once with 4-cell and did something like 90+ laps in 8-minutes.

I believe the Hot Trick guy was a Del Mar/San Diego local. Thanks to Hot Trick the derogatory term "Bucky" (not used much any more) was created.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Bob- Great history on this thread. Reminded me when I started racing in1990 in the Bay area. Off -road was a big thing when I started. Ran a few Twister Challenge, Reedy Race of Champions back when it was off-road at Hobby Haven Raceway in Livermore, CA. Ran the Stock & Modified ROAR Off-Road Nationals. Sanyo 1200 SCR's & 1700 SCE were the battery of choice only
Lavco electronics was like Mike Reedy's golden tool Rick Hohwart was a young buck ( Mr. Peak Performance!!!), Mike Dunn of Race Prep, Kinwald, Rick Velow, JD "Duke" Beckwith, Scott Roberts (RIP) etc. Good Times!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.