Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you! >

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
*skeptical look*
Think about it.

If you're leading the race, then you must have TQ'd to be there
Hence, got em covered, in theory anyway.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So, when you find yourself in the lead of a race with the field bearing down on you... the feeling of opportunity causes your heart rate and blood pressure are unaffected? Shit I should try that. My first big race I could barely keep from falling off the stool I was standing on.
Yes I can feel other drivers when I race. 12th scale force *Yoda*

But really other drivers are driving their cars and your driving yours ideally ...lol

People can be energy bullies for a lack of better word

So you could be experiencing internal "pressures "depending on how much you demand of yourself. Sponsors can also demand of you to the point of becoming too nervous to drive

Like I never felt pressured to win when my Dad was at the track and I won most times or did well when he came

But mostly my observations are that people compete off the field as well as on the field with each other and that is what reminds me of pressure
Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Think about it.

If you're leading the race, then you must have TQ'd to be there
Hence, got em covered, in theory anyway.
My race jitters are proportional to the square of how good my competition is. If I have the best bearing down on me, I certainly am nervous.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My race jitters seem to be related to who's watching the race or corner marshaling it. I've been in races that all the factory pro's are marshaling. and I'm thinking, "check that out, Joel Johnson picked up my car and moved it on the grid and then marshal'd my race, how cool is that!" and I was at a race one time and I saw somebody out of the corner of my eye as I entered the straight that was watching my car, lap after lap. I finally took a Glimpse up to see who it was, it was Mike Reedy and Ernie Provetti watching my car. In the less than 1/10 of a second it takes to have the thought, "..How cool is that, Reedy is watching me race..." KA'POW, I instantly drill the wall at the end of the straight, the corner guy (Paul Lemieux) picks up the car, it's now 3 feet long with only the wires holding various sections of it together. Reedy walks off.... Lemieux is chuckling and gives me the thumbs up. "...Good Job Stormer..." "thanks Paulie..."

So it's NOT out of the realm of possibilites that on THAT day, Mike Reedy, for a brief second, had the following two things go through his mind at the same time. "Bob Stormer", and "I've never seen anybody drive like that".

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-20-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
My race jitters seem to be related to who's watching the race or corner marshaling it. I've been in races that all the factory pro's are marshaling. and I'm thinking, "check that out, Joel Johnson picked up my car and moved it on the grid and then marshal'd my race, how cool is that!" and I was at a race one time and I saw somebody out of the corner of my eye as I entered the straight that was watching my car, lap after lap. I finally took a Glimpse up to see who it was, it was Mike Reedy and Ernie Provetti watching my car. In the less than 1/10 of a second it takes to have the thought, "..How cool is that, Reedy is watching me race..." KA'POW, I instantly drill the wall at the end of the straight, the corner guy (Paul Lemieux) picks up the car, it's now 3 feet long with only the wires holding various sections of it together. Reedy walks off.... lol Lemieux is chuckling and gives me the thumbs up. "...Good Job Stormer..." "thanks Paulie..."
lol

My race jitters are proportional to the square of how good my competition is. If I have the best bearing down on me, I certainly am nervous.
So if your racing beginners your not nervous at all

But if your racing an "Expert" then you are nervous

So logically your not nervous in one instance and nervous in another

It all sounds mental to me unless what I proposed is true which is some drivers have more competition running through their vains, the track and each other and of course we have to take into account spectators

I can tell you this when I raced against Neisenger a couple times I didn't sense any of that excess competition from him. I think cause he had most of his attention on what he was doing not other drivers hence I didn't feel any excess competition from him, just him driving his car

I mean did you ever notice how you feel standing next to one driver vs. another?

Just some insight

Take it or leave it

But I think it's true, at least when I was growing up, kids have less predisposition, hence less internal pressure than adults. Nowadays kids are like adults kinda...lol Their cups are really full

Last edited by Infinite 12th; 02-20-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Racing at iic last year, was the most calming experience I recall having on the driver stand.
Knowing that every driver up there is as good, or better than I, not having to worry about novices swerving around in front of my mod car at full song, and freight training around, was a way cool experience.

Can't wait to go back.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Racing at iic last year, was the most calming experience I recall having on the driver stand.
Knowing that every driver up there is as good, or better than I, not having to worry about novices swerving around in front of my mod car at full song, and freight training around, was a way cool experience.

Can't wait to go back.
I think one of the Novak races we went to, I was in a full heat of 10 guys that had all qualified with a 25/6:02 whatever it was, it was whithin 1-2 seconds, all 10 of us. I thought it got printed wrong.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default so many familiar faces ...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

That video shows why R/C car racing will never be cool, we have consistently bad fashion sense

Man Mike Blackstock looks young, and the hairdoos are priceless.

Bob, did you take up Curling?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Bob, did you take up Curling?
Nah, it's a long standing joke with my Canadian friends. I think Curling is hilarious.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Those silly Canadians and their ice, next we're gonna find out they're racing toy cars on it.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Those silly Canadians and their ice, next we're gonna find out they're racing toy cars on it.
I hear Hot Chicks like curling
Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th
I hear Hot Chicks like curling
I thought hot chicks liked money
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Champion

Not that I've gone to all that many...but my first big race ever was the last RC Thunderdrome in Domingues Hills CA. I was so nervous I was shaking. The best I could do was to concentrate the shaking down into one leg but everyone on that row of bleachers could feel it
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

I thought hot chicks liked money
Ok chicks that don't play hard to get ...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.