Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you! >

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimnew
Eddie,

not sure if it is still available,
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=349231
Nope ..... Appears Stormer Got it!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

... doin' the HAPPY DANCE!

look at me go!!!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Thumbs down

The fact he wanted $75 plus shipping for the quillen zapper scares me.....though rare, they are 100% obsolete, so why the high price....thing ain't that heavy either.

So bob....Ron Paris's personal Lavco Pro for the Max mod! Let's do it.....

Plus I may have another surprise coming.........Checkpoint Plantium based Fantom mods!

Later EddieO
Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO
Plus I may have another surprise coming.........Checkpoint Plantium based Fantom mods!
I had a few of those. The cans were awesome......
Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Here is one for the collectors...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220944299314...84.m1438.l2648

On Ebay...
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Knock it off I WAS in the lead on that one.

...lulz...
And I thought I found the last 500 around.

I've wanted one of these for, oh the last 15 years or so. Ever since I saw one NIB at an airplane swap meet for $250.00 and didn't buy it.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Three
Raced 12th gas in Phoenix during the late seventies, also electric. Mine was a Mach 12 but most raced the Jerobee (powered by Cox .049 engines). Rode up from Tucson with two brothers who operated a hobby shop out of their house near the University of Arizona in Tucson. Raced in an industrial park, later behind some hobby shop.
Took a motor home with Lonny Johnson, Mark Osier, and someone else that I can't remember (Dave ?) to the regionals held at the Ranch in 1982. Remember that some Team Associated members were having fun throwing cracker balls on the track during qualifying.
There was another Ranch Pit Stop in Del Mar. Loooooong time ago.
That was Dave Portz, Mr Delta at SRS. I knew Jim Greenmeyer and Neal McCurdy before they got into RC. They shared a tiny spot on Cozycroft out in the valley. Dave and I went there to pick up motors for a major slot car race when Neal said "hey you guys gotta see my new toy". The toy was an RC12E. We were hooked. Jim and Neal were totally opposite personalities; Neal was Mr. High Tech, trying to make every motor the same, Jim was all intuition. The motors talked to him. he was also one of the best painters I've ever seen. Lots of memories.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
That was Dave Portz, Mr Delta at SRS. I knew Jim Greenmeyer and Neal McCurdy before they got into RC. They shared a tiny spot on Cozycroft out in the valley. Dave and I went there to pick up motors for a major slot car race when Neal said "hey you guys gotta see my new toy". The toy was an RC12E. We were hooked. Jim and Neal were totally opposite personalities; Neal was Mr. High Tech, trying to make every motor the same, Jim was all intuition. The motors talked to him. he was also one of the best painters I've ever seen. Lots of memories.
Wow Lonny, you are old.....
Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by highster
And I thought I found the last 500 around.

I've wanted one of these for, oh the last 15 years or so. Ever since I saw one NIB at an airplane swap meet for $250.00 and didn't buy it.
I found this catalog at the bottom of a box-o-Rc stuff I bought and re-sold awhile back.... along with some other old school AE literature. I guess it's the closest I 'll ever get to owning one. Why doesn't AE do 1:8 gas on-road anymore? Either way, this is a cool item to flip through.
Attached Thumbnails The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you!-1-8-catalog.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
I found this catalog at the bottom of a box-o-Rc stuff I bought and re-sold awhile back.... along with some other old school AE literature. I guess it's the closest I 'll ever get to owning one. Why doesn't AE do 1:8 gas on-road anymore? Either way, this is a cool item to flip through.
AE is behind the 1/8th on road game. Too much time with the b2/b3/b4 program........
An RC600 would be AWESOME to see, are you listening Thunder Tiger??
Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

I would think that as much as people love AE, they would buy that right up and give the class a boost.... who knows.

Also an electric version, that would be cool.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Wow Lonny, you are old.....
My first car was pieced together using the light weight kit for the 12E, that replaced the nylon radio tray with a fiberglass one. Had the first one in Tucson. That car had a Leisure diff in it because Associated's wasn't out yet. It was also the first one in Tucson. Used 1/4 by 1/2 bearings on the rear axle. And I was no teenager.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
My first car was pieced together using the light weight kit for the 12E, that replaced the nylon radio tray with a fiberglass one. Had the first one in Tucson. That car had a Leisure diff in it because Associated's wasn't out yet. It was also the first one in Tucson. Used 1/4 by 1/2 bearings on the rear axle. And I was no teenager.
Yup, wicked old. Like Gandalf........

Actually I was a young'un, but didn't start too much longer after that.......
Old 02-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A guy we raced with back in the day (Chris Eppler) sent me this photo . Dirt Power Hobbies, Deer Park Washington.

I believe, 1987. I think it's Eppler on the far left, next to Boyd Petty (I think he was from Pasco) and the guy inthe MRP hat, I believe was Guy Davies from MRP. Im on the end in the MRP shirt and the Team WFO hat. I got the hat from Gus Woods, the owner of Team WFO, they made parts in the 80's and Gus had the coolest track ever down in Utah. beautiful.

The big photo has to be 2wd, I recall taking 7th with the most gutless car ever. I found out when I got home, that I had over geared it by 8-10 teeth. 32 pitch teeth to top it all off. That explains that problem... I remember grabbing a gear, and it was slow, so I grabbed another gear, it was slow, so I grabbed another one... 'DOH...

Chris had the companion pic to this first pic that I had, same race. Very cool. What I think is interesting is how that small 2wd plaque didn't make it into my trophy pic, and I put the 2wd car in front of the trophy for the 4wd car. Once a racer, always a racer. the big trophy was for overall event TQ. Did that in 4 mod. Had to be an Optima with a Checkpoint motor in it. probably something crazy, like an 18 or 20 turn.

I think at that time, we were running what we were calling the Fox-shot, in 2wd. Dusty Eckhart and Eppler kinda worked them out. Was the hot trick fox and transmission, RC10 front suspension, with hotshot rear suspension and rims. Car worked great. MRP at the time was working on the 2wd buggy, and I think Eppler ended up driving for them... Not sure on that one. My 410 shotgun, I took apart and made my own 2wd car out of it. I won our state championships with that in 88. I found all the parts for that car, it was very unique. That's what was fun about stuff back then, you MADE STUFF!!!

Chris's pic:

My pic:

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-08-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
That's what was fun about stuff back then, you MADE STUFF!!!
Definitely, much more fun winning with something you had put together and developed yourself instead of just bolting a kits together and adding any tune up parts the race team tells you to.

Prime example, last years 1/10th off road worlds was won by a B4 with an 8mm extended chassis, made by cutting and shutting two kit chassis. The first thoughts going through most drivers heads these days is "when can I buy one", in the early days it would have been "where's my hacksaw and dremel".

I also love how these days someone 'makes' a custom part for their car by drawing it up in cad then sending it away to be cut, when a lot of the time for stuff made from sheet materials you could have cut the thing out yourself by the time it's drawn.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Man, those hats are horrible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.