Search

Jaco Foams

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo
Default Jaco Foams

Hi Guys,

I was wonderingn how the rating system work on Jaco foams for EP cars. I see they use colours like green, pink, purple etc. Could someone please tell me what colours mean what shore rating please?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Post Tire Chart

Jaco Tires Follow as this:

White Dish 28 mm:

Blue (firm) standard

Green (medium) standard

Pink (med-soft) low wear

Purple (med-firm) low wear

Double Pink (med) low wear

Red (firm) ultra-low wear

Double Purple (ultra-firm) ultra-low wear

Orange/Purple (firm) ultra-low wear

Double Pink/Orange

Old 07-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Post Second Part

Ok the tire chart follows as the following. With the blues they tend to be on the firm side of things. The greens are on the medium side of things. With the pinks they are on the med. too soft area. The purples are commonly found on most touring cars on the rear. At least that's how I use them. They are around a 40 shore rating. But I really can't confirm that with you. The Double pinks are a med type of tire. The reds are firm but not as firm as the double purples and the orange purples would be. The orange purple is a firm type of tire. And lastly the double pink/orange tire is the hardest that you may find in jaco's line up. For the touring car that I run I usually start with Orange/Purple front and Purple rear for carpet. For outdoors on a large track with med. traction I'll start with a Double purple front and purple rear for my car. Another compound that works for carpet is Double pink and orange front and double pink rear. Jaco doesn't really have a shore rating method here, so I can't really help you there. If someone can help him out on the indivdual shore ratings that would be a big plus for him and myself. Hopefully this can help you.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo
Default Re: Second Part

Another compound that works for carpet is Double pink and orange front
is that one rating or two?

The purples are commonly found on most touring cars on the rear. At least that's how I use them.
This would be for carpet...but it's not a purpose built track so I don't think the bite would be as high(regular carpet).

Jaco doesn't really have a shore rating method here, so I can't really help you there. If someone can help him out on the indivdual shore ratings that would be a big plus for him and myself. Hopefully this can help you.
You have definetly helped me out a little and thanks mate. The gun set up down here are 26mm foams 40's all round or 40/37's if struggling so I guess I just wanted something similar to what we run now and really keen to throw on 28mm's.

Exactly what are the advantages of 28mm?
Old 07-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

purples are 40
blue i believe is 50
green is 30
pink i believe is 35

these are all from my head, i am not positive that these are correct, exept for the purple(i know they are 40)
Old 07-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Pink is also 30, but a different kind of rubber.

For carpet racing, your best bet is to get the Double Pink/Orange tires for the front, and Double Pinks for the rear. Purple/Orange for front and Purple for rear also would work well, too.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

on the trinity web page they have a comparison list between the colour compounds and the shore ratings.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

There are only really 3 tires you want to look at for carpet racing. The Dpink, the purple, and the Dpurple. When you see orange in front of those, it means a multi tire. That means there is a band of very hard foam around the outside of the tire. This provides higher corner speed when used on the front because the sidewall doesnt roll over. The softer inside foam then provides better grip for accelleration.

Use Orange/Dpink(F) and Dpink(R) for low-med bite carpet. Orange/Purple and Purple is basically a harder setup with the same principal, except the purple is harder than the Dpink. This can be used on high bite surface, though many people use the dpinks even on high bite. DPurple is just a harder tire than purple, I guess you could use it if the grip is high and you want the car to push. But Ive never tried it so I cant really say.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

For carpet go with orange/double pink (FT) and Double Pink (RR) expecially if your not allowed compound.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

is it time for the tire companies to stop using colors to represent tire compounds? would it not be better to use the actual tire durometer reading? insted of purple say 40 shore instead of double pink say 36 shore? almost all of the tire companies rubber differs from the others in durometer readings. would be so nice to ask a racer what tires he is running and have him say 40 fronts and 33 rears..it wouldn't mater so much whos tires they were using..only thing we care about is the durometer reading. are we asking too much? jack?john?tony?TRC?murdock?heck trc makes the racer stick the little dots on anyways..half the time there missing in the box?

lets demand durometer readings by the end of 04...ok who is with me?
Old 07-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

I'm with you....I personally don't like the color code system
Old 07-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I do find that the color system is tricky to work with company to company.

My only question/concern is regarding comparing durometer readings from two different companies. The last outdoor event I was at I was running some Ellegi 40s on the rear and 42 fronts. These were new, out of the box, trued down to 58mm, ready to go. When I put it on the track, I wasn't happy with the rear bite I was getting out of the car. So, I decided to throw on (for ha-ha's) some Jaco purples. Again, these were new, out of the box and freshly trued down to 58mm.

The car handled like a dream, qualified A-main comfortably.

So, my question/observation is: even though the durometer reading is the same on the tires, because the Ellegi was a gas-style tire rated at 40shore and the Jaco Purple is an electric sedan tire rated at 40shore why was the durometer readings the same when the Ellegi had much less bite? Also, when truing outdoor gas tires the rubber is also more difficult to true on the truer making it seem like it's actually harder.

Any takers?

-jon

Last edited by jdwca; 07-07-2004 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think it's because gas-car tires have more rubber in them, hence different wear characteristics and usually less traction than the same shore of a carpet tire.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Right. That's actually what I've understood in the past.

So, I guess we couldn't rely *solely* on shore ratings because as you said it's not really consistent from carpet tire to gas/outdoor tire. The distinction between the actual amount of rubber versus foam is important.

-jon
Old 07-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

yes there is a small catch to the shore system.. you have to understand why foams are not created equal..

blacks,grays, whites have more natural rubber in them
blues,greens,yellows,orange are just foam no rubber
and gas foams must be made up of lots of rubber and less foam you guys are hard on the throttle and dont lift til it's broke..so you need a tuff tire,lol .. the consumer would have to get schooled up a bit on foam tires..jaco has a web site and list all the colors..but they rate them firm,hard,soft...yuk why not post the duro readings as well? heck use both dots and shure readings..damn things cost so much anyways..

full scale tires in fact have readings like we rely on.. tread life and such...some tires are way more gummy than others..that 400.00 tire doesn't last as long as the 4 for 100.00 i say we mass email them to add shure readings...c'mon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.