R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default F104 Aero package.

I'm planning on purchasing an F104X1 in the near future, and was wondering if there is any significant aero advantage between the wing kits that are available through Tamiya. Specifically the Ferrari and McClaren kits. This car will be used on an outdoor, asphalt track. Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated, Ty.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The older 80s style 3 tier wings produce more rear down force than any modern F1 styled wing.

So if your rules permit it get an F103 rear wing on there the TRG Advance is my personal favourite, with it on the middle angle setting, the most aggressive setting actually stalls the wing and just causes drag.

As for the front wing, the 3 Racing high down force front wing produces a lot of down force at least from my own tests on track.

these wings don't look pretty together but they go like stink.. so go figure
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Tech Champion

On my F103 running a black can mabuchi I've had rear wings ripped off and front wings missing 1 side and couldn't tell a difference in handling in either case. You've really gotta get these things moving for the aerodynamics to have much of an effect.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
Tech Addict

To be fair you're not wrong the only place the wings really make a difference is on very high speed corners and back straights.

My track has a big straight into a sweeper, so having good aero grip is important. Just to note it's an 8th scale nitro track so it's high speed
Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting the feeling from your comments that there really isn't a huge difference between the two. Most likely, the car won't be seeing any major straightaways. Thanks for your time.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
.M.
Tech Apprentice

I run on indoor carpet track and the car feels virtually identical with every wing I've tried (stock F104, Ferrari, and Mclaren). It feels virtually identical sans wings entirely. I think, unless you're dealing with extremely high speeds, that it makes no difference at all.
.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I wonder what effect the wings would have at 100mph?
I mean i think i can feel them come into play at about 35mphi any slower they're not doing anything as far as i can tell.

Anyone ever braved a 3.0t motor in one of these to find out?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

it makes a big difference, my traxxas rally would start to spin the tires and lift off the ground at 65. Made up some lexan wings and it can go about 80 with downforce. Castle 4600 on 4s with max timing and c.h.e.a.t mode.
jsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
I mean i think i can feel them come into play at about 35mphi any slower they're not doing anything as far as i can tell.

Would be interesting to see. Has anybody tried to run an F1 car at the Velodrome yet, like the good old days of oval pancar? That would be insane!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Would be interesting to see. Has anybody tried to run an F1 car at the Velodrome yet, like the good old days of oval pancar? That would be insane!
They used to run Road Wizards at the Encino Velodrome back in the 90's.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post

I used to run mine on silvercan with 3s lipo. wings made a real difference with that power. I once was having oversteer issues in a long sweeper (35+mph) and eventually binned it and my modified front wing broke, so i ripped the parts off it so it was stock front wing again. After that the car understeered through that turn but it helped me have more balls to go faster.

Though the better fix was to redo the front wing and rear diffuser, could take that turn at full throttle after thatt the point of it being too fast for that track
kb525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Just to note the Japanese article on f1 rc down force showed the f103 to produce nearly double the down force of the 104 at 30mph in stock form.

With the trg advance rear wing and a diffuser it was over double the down force of the 104.
And to note the trg wing was on it's lowest down force setting.

The trg wing has far more down force on steeper settings!
Plus there are much higher down force wings for the front wing than a stock 103 wing.

I'm guessing my 103 with it's aero setup is producing somewhere between 170 to 220 gram of downforce at 30mph.

Where as a 104 is about 85g

How much difference this makes I'm not sure?
But any advantage works for me!