Like Tree4Likes

TA05 M Four

Old 01-09-2018, 04:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Aitutaki View Post
some news,
i upgraded the 3racing alloy bulkheads . the blue is not exactly the same, but you will hardly see if you don't know
see enclosed pics.

i also had the first race with it, and won against M-05s and M-06s , i have been a little slower with my top speed, but guys i made it in the infield my fastet lap, 22 seconds, was nearly 2 seconds faster then the second one

i switched back to tamiya 60d tyres, because of the bigger diameter, and higher top speed.

next race will be held at our model-exhibition..
Hey guys,

Can someone please tell me the belt lengths for the Tamiya TA05 M FOUR?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2018, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Well, I am beginning to get some projects finished up and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with a 540 conversion yet? If not, that will be my next project. I found a source for metric drive belts as I do believe that I will end up having to raise the topshaft for clearance to the motor. Already picked out a nice "shorty" motor.... Holmes Hobby 300kv Shorty sensored Brushless.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

please delete

Last edited by packhntr; 01-01-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: please delete
Old 01-01-2019, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Well...Since I had the holidays off work, I decided to reverse engineer my unbuilt TA05 M-Four to see what it will take to fit a proper sized motor.

So.....For the motor, I am using a Holmes Hobbies Sensored Brushless Stubby 3300Kv motor. I ended up with new center bulkheads (only need to make 2 new holes in the chassis) I reused the front carbon fiber upper plate, but have to design a new rear. The center bulkheads are a bit rough but dimensionally, they work. Going to add a center stiffener. For belts, I found some at Square Racing that are going to be the correct lengths (both front and rear are needed). Gearing, Well, the stock gear ratio is 3.555/1. So, Since I am using a significantly stronger motor, I believe I can readily get away with a 90t 48P spur and a 30t 48P pinion giving me a 3/1 ratio. Going to use a Savox SC-1251MG low profile servo (still need to model it up). Receiver is small enough to sit on top of it. And there is enough room on the chassis for a ESC. That leaves a lot of room for a battery. But the configuration is "weird". A shorty LiPo is actually too long. Half of a saddle pack will fit, but that's only 3.7v. So, I am going to look at soft packs.

JoeyE likes this.

Last edited by packhntr; 01-01-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

Quick update. All that I have left is to find a battery that will fit. Available space is: 60mm x 56mm x 21mm. That is the MAX size.
JoeyE likes this.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On my M-Four I am running a S2838 (2800kv) brushless with TRA2820 sized 2S. No modification needed in my case. I don't race so there is really no 'standard' I need to follow. I love this chassis, fun little car.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

WOOHOO! Found a battery that will fit! Had to raise the rear upper deck by 5mm and design longer rear upper deck supports (simple lathe operation) and tweak the design of the rear deck. Drawigs this weekend followed by machining!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sakadachi View Post
On my M-Four I am running a S2838 (2800kv) brushless with TRA2820 sized 2S. No modification needed in my case. I don't race so there is really no 'standard' I need to follow. I love this chassis, fun little car.
I like it too! Just don't like the tiny motor on a car with so much parasitic drag! Plus, I like sensored motors and over powering things whenever I can! LOL
Old 01-02-2019, 06:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Hobbyking has "super shorty packs" that might help you. Same size as a single saddle, but they're 7.4v.

I tried adding a link, but I'm not allowed, still a low post noob lol. Just google hobbyking super shorty 2600mah.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks! I found a pack on AMain. It is a 2s LiPo for the Dancing Rider by Arrowmax. That's what I have mocked up in the screenshot. A Mini-T LiPo pack will mostly fit, but I would have to make a protector for it as it would stick out of the chassis slightly.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by packhntr View Post
I like it too! Just don't like the tiny motor on a car with so much parasitic drag! Plus, I like sensored motors and over powering things whenever I can! LOL
The chassis can definitely take it. This is one of the many reasons why I love double deck CF chassis.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

It can easily take it....the entire drive line is from the TA05. It just has shorter belts and M-Class arms. Going to start making the necessary drawings tonight. Maybe start machining next week. MAYBE. Got a lot on my plate and I am back to work from holiday break.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Quick update. Got the new battery and have completed but one drawing. That drawing is for the battery "box". Since this battery is a soft pack, I am designing up a pseudo box to enclose it. Had to wait until I got the battery to make the box to make certain al dimensions are spot on. Next up on the purchase list is the new belts. Then maybe aluminum bulkheads. Found a source and they are in stock as well. Just $$$$
Old 01-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Almost sounds like you can make a retrofit kit and sell it to the M-Four owners! Very cool.

I'm keeping mine the way it is though since I'm okay with the TRA2820 packs on my M-Four.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

I was actually thinking about that. If there is enough interest. I would only be supplying the bulkheads, the rear upper deck and spacers. And if they wanted to use the same battery, the "box". I would supply the information for the battery, the belts, motor and gears as they are readily available and I do not wish to be a reseller. I just received the 2mm carbon fiber plate to make the upper rear deck today! All geeked up to make it! Gotta wait as I am a bit laid up. Case of cellulitis on my leg...have to keep it elevated. Been working from home for a week. Got a great boss! If there is enough interest, I will strongly consider making some conversion kits. They won't be stupidly priced either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.