Wiki Posts
Search

Balancing a motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 07:15 AM
drx
Tech Regular

Default Balancing a motor?

Can someone explain to me just how a motor is balanced?

I know that motors are balanced by either removing material (drilling) or adding it (epoxy putty).

What I'd like to know is what processes are involved and tools are used and how.

tia

</DrX>
Old 12-30-2004, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Takes a piece of equipment that costs upwards to $20k....the most popular is the heins, which is about $8k...if you could find a working quillen, that would run you about $2k-$3k....but they are no longer made and you cannot get service for them....

And before ANYONE comes on here and tells you can do it with a prop balancer, the niftech unit....or better yet, a pair of razor blades....they are WRONG. You can't balance a motor correctly that way....and while it will get the motor in the ballpark, it will still be off enough to effect motor performance...

Later EddieO
Old 12-31-2004, 12:24 AM
Tech Addict

Some other info in this thread here
Old 12-31-2004, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

No offense, but I can tell you that stock motors are dynamically balanced in japan....I've seen the machine they use.....if they had just a static balance, you would just see the drill hole in the center of the arm...not on the top and the bottom...

I throw every stock and 19t arm we get on the balancer before shipping them out and they are in generall balanced well.....though every once in a while you see some that are pretty far off, which is just a production tolerance....

And as you cut the comm on an armature, it goes out of balance.....any day you want to come up to my shop with some used mods, I will show you how far they go out of balance as you run them and cut the comm...

Later EddieO
Old 12-31-2004, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Static balancing is just simply evening out the weight of the mass, so that in a perfect world the arm would stand on end. Dynamic balancing as Eddie does spins the mass and takes into acount all of the rotational forces as well as the weight. Wich just so happens to be the world out motor arms live in. Dynamic balancing takes into account the distance from the rotational centerline that the weight is at. Like when on a merry go round if your in the center you dont get pulled off as hard as if your out on the outside. You wouldnt think that the small amount removed as you cut the comm would make a big difference tho.

Last edited by Speedie; 12-31-2004 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

When I was in school to become electrician, part of the studying was winding armatures. The school had very simple balancing machine.
The machine looked a lot like lathe with one end floating and connected to a meter, vibration in the floating end would make the neddle on the meter rise.
You put the armature on the machine and lowered spinning belt so that it spun the armature up to couple of thousand rpm. You then lifted the belt and one second later read the meter, it told you how much out of balance the armature was.
Then came the fun part. You test drilled the armature on the floating end, just tiny bit and then respun the armature. If the balance was better in the next run you were on the right way and drilled a bit more in the same place.
I believe balancer like that one could be made for less than $100.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Thats exactly how a Heins or Quillen operates in simple terms.....but its hardly a simple machine...

Later EddieO