R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2005, 07:17 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dracy69 Send a message via Yahoo to dracy69

i kno the ppl in my hobby shop really good so they sometimes lower (they did for my picco 26...199.99 to like 180) their prices down to like the retail tower sells them at.
dracy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #47
Tech Apprentice

Location: Tupperville, Ontario, CANADA - like tupperware but with a population of 450.

I've been in the hobby for nearly 20 years. Online ordering is a new style of business. I'm sorry, if the LHS doesn't have an online store, then that ship has sailed. I work hard for my money. Lets say I'm under paid. Would you guys send me a couple bucks to make up the difference? Right about now you're thinking I'm nuts. It's the same with your LHS. Why spend extra money for something when it's offered cheaper elsewhere? It's logic to find the best deal and buy accordingly. When you buy a real car, do you not price shop? If not, I have a great deal on a car for you!

In my line of work, automotive, most of the products we build are now being built in Asian countries. Why? Because it's the same product cheaper. Can I tell the big 3 they can't do that? No. They are going to spend their money where they want to. What will I do? Adapt! If I don't, I'm out of work. It's the same with LHS's. Adapt or 'bye bye'!

It's the age old argument. Support your local economy. Bottom line......money talks. It's sad really.
wvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #48
Tech Elite

by the big 3 you mean GM, Ford and Chrysler? curiousity overwhelmed me
Old 01-01-2005, 10:33 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well put Wayne....

within reason of course....

I'm willing to pay a small premium for additional services that a local hobby shop can provide...ie..a race track, set up assistance, tuning advice, etc...

Shop owners need to accept that the won't get 100% of their customer's business. I give my local shop a chance to be competitive, and if they can't get close enough then i'm forced to look elsewhere.

What frustrates local shops though is when people buy elsewhere to save tiny amounts, or never even give them the chance to compete, but then expect the shops to provide all the services, and assistance free of charge
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

There are a few hobby shops that service will always beat a computer order. With all the competition these days there are plenty of shops willing to compete.
Although you have to have an understanding of what the retailer goes thru. So many different kinds of taste in this hobby one day it's Losi so the retailer orders parts the next week the hot flavor is the X-Ray nobody wants the car anymore so the retailer is stuck with those parts. since the flavor of the week is X-Ray he stocks up on parts. Next month the new JRXS is out. So try to understand what type of loss there is for the retailer & also when you get some customers who want the expensive items the retailer orders it then next week the customer does not want it anymore. I support my LHS & it pay off big time now I am a sponsored driver who gets some really huge discounts sometimes even at cost. I try to help him out as much as I can keeping him up to speed on new items,competitive pricing & promoting his store. We spend so much money in this hobby but few of us know how much it cost the retailer they are working at times with very low margins why do you think there are fewer hobby shops theses days.
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #51
Tech Regular

i believe its not the LHS fault for the pricing they give.
its da govt... just as someone else mentioned b4.
look at the crap internet we(NZ) are getting. 128k,256k and 2mbit... and with the farking cap of 10gig.
10GIG!!!!

watever it is....
i hope my LHS is trying their best to keep the prices as low as possible or else... this hobby's growth might be stagnent in NZ.
BTW, we definately need more R/C cars LHS in NZ. more competition = better price too.
bigbutstupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crACkeD ChaSsiS Send a message via Yahoo to crACkeD ChaSsiS
Default good topic

good topic
crACkeD ChaSsiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:39 PM   #53
Tech Elite

for all the ppl who are mentioning the rent and emplyment prices for lhs', on-line stores have to pay for that too, they dont store everything on the internet too and then e-mail the stuff to you, they store them in [email protected]$$ warehouses, and you know the little paper that says "packaged by so and so" thats called an employee, they need people to manage the website (the site costs money too) and then people to work the nice big forklifts, ship everything, take customer service calls etc. im not completely supporting on-line stores, i try to support my lhs' (i have like 4 of them) but being 13 its pretty hard to pay that much more. They are sometimes friendly with prices but its still hard to cope with, and putting the on-line stores out of buisness by getting everything form the lhs isnt good for the hobby either, so watch what you say.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:09 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Guys it's simply common sense.
Which the World today is SERIOUSLY lacking.
If a local store has a kit for $259.99 and you can get it online for $219.99 then DUH.Common sense.
But if that shop has a track and knowledge that may help you later than that $40.00 may be worth it to you to have it RIGHT NOW.
Impulse buying is half of what retail has over internet.If you want it RIGHT NOW then you have to pay the extra.
If the price is just outrageous thats one thing.
If it's a stock motor they sell for $38.00 and you can get it online for $29.99 then I would say the shop is probally still fair.
For guys NOT KNOWING.Kits have NO markup at all unless you get into the $260.00+ area and even then it's not much at all.
Parts and tires is where the markup is.Thats how they make the money is the small stuff.
Heck I know shops that compete with online outfits that may make as little as $20.00-25.00 on a full kit prices at $219.99
They make that same profit selling you $40.00-50.00 worth of parts.
Its still pretty simple guys.If your store is honest and knows the market then he probally knows his prices are too high or not.If they are outrageously priced then it's probally due to not having the knowledge or simply not caring.
How can I care if he shuts down if he doesnt.
Pretty simple and otherwise known as COMMON SENSE.
Wish the people in today's world had ALOT more of this simple sense.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:08 AM   #55
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TexRacer
Guys it's simply common sense.
Which the World today is SERIOUSLY lacking.
If a local store has a kit for $259.99 and you can get it online for $219.99 then DUH.Common sense.
But if that shop has a track and knowledge that may help you later than that $40.00 may be worth it to you to have it RIGHT NOW.
Impulse buying is half of what retail has over internet.If you want it RIGHT NOW then you have to pay the extra.
If the price is just outrageous thats one thing.
If it's a stock motor they sell for $38.00 and you can get it online for $29.99 then I would say the shop is probally still fair.
For guys NOT KNOWING.Kits have NO markup at all unless you get into the $260.00+ area and even then it's not much at all.
Parts and tires is where the markup is.Thats how they make the money is the small stuff.
Heck I know shops that compete with online outfits that may make as little as $20.00-25.00 on a full kit prices at $219.99
They make that same profit selling you $40.00-50.00 worth of parts.
Its still pretty simple guys.If your store is honest and knows the market then he probally knows his prices are too high or not.If they are outrageously priced then it's probally due to not having the knowledge or simply not caring.
How can I care if he shuts down if he doesnt.
Pretty simple and otherwise known as COMMON SENSE.
Wish the people in today's world had ALOT more of this simple sense.
Bingo
That's what a lot of LHS deal with all the time people buying items online then having to come in and ask for help cause they can't get it to work. this will always be a catch 22 see if you are going to get help from the online store they don't know [email protected]!T only what you ordered. I always pass on to newbies this site so if they need help on a question & they can't make it down to the store here is the next best thing. So support your LHS & your favorite site. PS don't forget to mention they need to post it @ the rookie zone
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:45 AM   #56
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

the rc industry is not extremely profitable from retailer standpoint. most hobbystores in general (rc, plastic models, trains, etc included) are not highly profitable, especially with the low margins they face when competing against online retail stores that happen to be distributors to those stores as well (ex. Horizon & Great Planes). the owners wont starve, but they are not gonna be buying lots of bmw's anytime soon.

the only way pricing will be better controlled to benefit hobbystores is via the manufacturers. they need to set realistic MSRP and make sure distributors do not undercut the hobbystores they distribute to.

as long as there is growth for manufacturers, i do not see this happening. the "if its not broken why fix it" motto comes in. but with increases in popularity of online sales the mom and pops hobbyshops of old could eventually be phased out. more streamlined franchises like hobbytown USA and online retailers will take their place.

wvince:

"It's the age old argument. Support your local economy. Bottom line......money talks. It's sad really."

i completely agree. it is sad to see the LHS going out of business but unfortunately that is how it is.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:16 AM   #57
Tech Regular

The lack of knowledge or "don't care" atitude of some shop owners/employees is tough to take. Especially if the prices are outrageous. I live in a place where the local shop doesn't have a track, and the setup knowledge of the people working there is about as non existant.
I've seen you talk about how much more you would pay to have the advice advantage, but what if that was not the case? Would you pay $30 more for a kit or full retail on a part just because the store is nearby? Saying that LHS's can't compete with Mail order is complete crap. Service, knowledge, and professionalism, may make up for the $10 extra you might pay for a kit. But if your LHS has none of that, they better be willing to step it up on the price matching. It's sad when I'm a beginner in On Road and I know more about the products than my LHS does.
There is the old addage when it comes to business, do you charge outrageous prices so you can sell less and make more off of every sale? Or do you sell for a little less and make up that difference in sales volume, thus making more money overall because you sell more? I think I see more and more shops going with the previous part of that saying, rather than the latter. Good hobby shop owners (the ones that care) know how to balance this. For the bad ones..Their mistake, not mine.
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #58
Tech Elite

i think im gonna reconsider getting my pro 4 from tower, although tower will prob have a 50 dollar discount for the extra stuff i buy, id rather keep my local (well my favorite local) shop in buisness, i just spent 550 at tower on my savage for christmas. i guess ill see how it goes. i feel bad for you guys with the hobby shops with the stupid owners, i can just imagine how bad that is. all my lhs's have atleast some knowlage with r/c but some more then others sooo im willing to pay extra for that. even if i were to get my car on-line they would still help me with it. but getting it from the shop always helps. itll help keep them going.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #59
BG
Tech Addict

This is a pointless debate. People can buy there stuff from where ever they like. It is their money to spend so they spend it wisely. That is the key word.

Vendors today are in business because they choose to be. They make wise decisions to stay ahead and remain competitive. It is their choice how competitive they want to be. The internet has revolutionatised shopping today. The internet market has tapped into shop fronts main core of customers by supplying cheaper products with a faster eta. Thats smart business. The internet is here now and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Local hobby shops need to take a different approach to wheel those customers back.

This is baseline....

Cheers

Bill
BG is offline   Reply With Quote