R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2004, 03:45 PM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by adamkerrnz
i live in NZ too and generally find things on the internet to be cheaper than my LHS. it isnt that much cheaper because the guy who owns the LHS i go to knows me well and his prices are better than anybody elses in my city. i only buy things that cost over $200 from the US mostly because of postage costs.

Mabuchi540 where do you live and/or race?

In the Manawatu.

As for the local shop LHS, for me that means 600km away, so not exactly local and I don't see them getting anywhere near the online price so I wouldn't even bother asking.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:24 PM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Interesting, since I've started racing I buy dam near everything from my local hobby shop. Batteries are the only thing that I get online. If your LHS has a track you need to support it or you won't have anywhere to race. Imo once you factor shipping and what it's worth to "get it now", pricing is usually fine.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #18
Tech Master

Default Actually I think it's the.....

Quote:
"get it now"
....part that's a bigger problem than cost, it doesn't look good when you can get a part from 1000's of miles away in less time than the LHS seems to be able to .....(or should that read "be bothered with for a one off order").

If they could be bothered then perhaps more people would be bothered with them?

Even if it was exactly the same price once exchange rate/shipping was taken into account I'm sure a lot of people will still go where it's faster.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 12-03-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:34 PM   #19
Tech Adept

My LHS is pretty good. I get 95% of my stuff there. They seem to know whats needed to keep racers going through the season. The pricing is competitve, just a little over mail order houses but no shipping cost and they usually have what you need. Go in Monday after a race and what they don't have, a rarity for most commonly broken parts, they have by the end of the week.

As long as there is a shop like this in the area, I'll gladly spend my money there to keep them there when I really need them!
rollover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Clegg
And thats a problem?

I mean Lets look at this:

1. Online vendors carry more items.
2. Get new products in faster.
3. Ability to take your time and look at a selection of products to base your purchase instead of hanging in a store trying to pump the people for info on a product. (or getting oppinions more than facts about a product).
4. Oh yeh and in most cases FAR cheaper than what local places can get them.

Edit:
5. Open hours that the LHS isnt.

Cons:
Sort of a PITA to return stuff, mis shippments, etc... But then again I have had all those same issues at LHS's also.

Now there are other varriants of LHS's available. Like a few in the area here where they are essentially "mobile" LHS people. WHo come by teh tracks loaded with hardware to sell at very good prices. I buy stuff off them more than online it seems. Brick and Mortar needs to adapt to the new economy and it shouldnt be the customers responsibility to give "hand outs" to unfortunate businesses. (because some LHS's ARE able to compete on prices, and are very reasonable. )
dude, you should be pimp slapped!!! no lhs can compete with online prices...reason behind it is because they have costs like, ohh say rent for building, cost for asphalt or carpet, bobcat rental for an off-road track, power... give handouts?? your lhs should be approached as if you own it... maybe one day there will be a website in hong kong that will allow you to race your car online...a place you can use all thoses tires, batts,.etc because your lhs goes out of business...online shops can have virtually no overhead. "adapt to a new economy?" you should eat more fish.
i have made purchases online b4, like im sure everyone else has, but MY lhs gets 1st priority. yours should too
i dont know of many hobby shop owners who are living high on the hog. and most have probably lowered their prices, in hopes of competeing for business...agreed, there is no room for lhs gouging customers , but when the effort is made to compete, you should in turn buy.

p.s....check my avatar buddy
hugh janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:43 PM   #21
saw
Tech Adept

you are assuming that the lhs is willing to support racing. a new owner took over our lhs a couple of years ago, and the store is much better and more car orientated, but the owner, who runs cars and races, doesn't get it. when you need parts he will order them but if they are backordered he usually doesn't bother to tell you, so i end up having to pay second day air on parts. the store is just happy to sell tmaxes to people and never see them again. which is fine but i do not buy parts from him unless they are on the wall. it is my opinion that if the store supports you, you support them a hundred percent, but if they don't get it and don't make the effort to make it the best for customers they don't deserve a hundred percent support
saw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:55 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I feel for you people in NZ & Australia',,
But dont blame the LHS, blame your government!
I have relatives in Aust. & I know what they go thru.
Both those countries have IMPORT DUTIES that double the cost of most imports.
Your LHS must pass that cost to you just to stay in bis.
That Queen likes to live in luxury!
Shure am glad we had that little tea party in Boston a little while ago!!
Old 12-03-2004, 07:23 PM   #23
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

It sucks everything in this country is way overpriced! my lhs sells TraxxasRevos for $1400AU,its f****d but its not there fault they have to charge so much for a product though.I wish i didnt have to order from the States because i have so many problems with TowerHobbies

Last edited by Team Duratrax; 12-03-2004 at 07:31 PM.
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:28 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by saw
you are assuming that the lhs is willing to support racing. a new owner took over our lhs a couple of years ago, and the store is much better and more car orientated, but the owner, who runs cars and races, doesn't get it. when you need parts he will order them but if they are backordered he usually doesn't bother to tell you, so i end up having to pay second day air on parts. the store is just happy to sell tmaxes to people and never see them again. which is fine but i do not buy parts from him unless they are on the wall. it is my opinion that if the store supports you, you support them a hundred percent, but if they don't get it and don't make the effort to make it the best for customers they don't deserve a hundred percent support
100% agreed...also, i am speaking of lhs with tracks.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

unfortunatly this hoby is not cheap.. i buy both online, and from more thenone lhs... i even have sponsors, and i still spend a ton... i buy where ever i can save the most money... if i want to stay competitive in my hobby, i need the best stuff,, it cost money to have this stuff.. and the more extra money i have the better stuff i can get...

I AM SPONSORED BY TWO ONLINE HOBBY SHOPS ALSO.. TO ME THEY ARE LIKE MY LHS.. they always have what i need, and i can order anytime...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:25 PM   #26

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

None of the LHS I have around me CURRENTLY (one is working on it) has a track.

a LHS with a track is a whole nother story entirely. I was purely talking about LHS without a track stand alone store.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:53 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to foampervert
Default this isn't going to help at all....^^

hiya guys !
especially you chappies in NZ and Aus!
gedday!
what ima abt to say sure isn't going to make me any more popular with the proponents of LHSs, but here goes....
at the end of the day, its a hobby, and i believe its more about having your fun! yours!
and if the purchasing process is making your fun time less fun then just find whatever alternative you can.
i am situated in Singapore where LHSs abound! its r/c heaven, prolly one of the lower heavens cos hong kong is heavener and japan is definately heavenest. no doubt.
if you are on a racing program or need parts urgently, the LHSs here or myself are glad to assist or get your LHS to contact our LHSs, maybe they can work out some kind of deal where you can get your parts faster and at a lower cost (if your LHS doesn't stock huge amounts of stuff, they will have more money to do this.... i'm sure they will see the light). just let me know wut you want through your LHS, and i'll try to get the parts for you.
i hope this'll help you out.
cheerio!
-alexander
-alexander

Sorex, i meant Sorex.
foampervert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:12 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Clegg
None of the LHS I have around me CURRENTLY (one is working on it) has a track.

a LHS with a track is a whole nother story entirely. I was purely talking about LHS without a track stand alone store.
sincere apology, clegg!!!
Old 12-04-2004, 01:16 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Proteus

Wow....Interesting debate. I purchase both online and at my LHS. When I do big purchases and need to buy lots of parts then of couse I buy online...why? Because it's cheaper. On raceday...you will always need a part or two and that's when the LHS has you covered.

In small businesses (like most of the LHS') they must maintain a high profit margin because of low volume. If you look at major retail corporations across the US, their profit margin is very slim...yet they manage to make a profit...why? Because they push volume. So you see....here we have a problem.

Let's take my current LHS for example. Prices are very high but it's understandable to a degree. Rent is quite high and since it's a carpet track most of the business is conducted during the winter months. There may be other LHS/tracks that are near which thins out the target market. Also....the market may be small...and it most cases...it's the local racers. Guys..c'mon. R/C racing is nothing in comparison to other hobbies/sports. Have you ever seen anybody become wealthy from working in our R/C industry...uh...strike that. Ernie might be one of the few examples. Where I live...when it starts to warm up everybody heads outdoors for nitro and in winter time it's electric indoors ( I live in Norther VA). Now in order for my LHS to lower their profit margin, they would have to push volume to mainitain a profit. But the problem here now is do they have enough current assets to cover current liabilities (otherwise know as the current ratio for you non-accounting folks and higher values indicate a more liquid company) until the net sales from the volume perspective matches net sales from the previous and higher profit margin? Most will say NO as many LHS' struggle as it is.

So how do we push volume to decrease profit margin and maintain or increase net sales? It's all about the marketing mix. I hope I am wrong but I have the perception that many of my LHS' lack education or competence in the importance of marketing.

I believe that for the LHS' that operate on high profit margins....they need to take a look at ecommerce. It's here and it's here to stay. And unfortunately..the bottom line is that price will dicatate purchasing decisions over 90% of the time. THAT IS YOUR NORMAL EVERYDAY CONUMERS' BEHAVIORS. So where does this leave the racer? Maybe that LHS will go out of business, but it's only a matter of time before someone with better marketing savy and enough capital to open up another. LHS. Dang...look at HPI. They have quite an aggressive marketing strategy. They want to reach a broad market. Look at where they hold their HPI Challenges; in areas with high foot traffic. If you dont' believe me....ask your fellow co-workers, classmates and other family members what the name of an RC company is. Many of my co-workers have heard or are familiar with HPI yet none of them race.

WHEEEWWW! For you folks that aren't business minded...basically I broke it down quite simply. It's much more complicated than that but I hope you got my point. And when I refer to LHS...I'm talking about LHS' with tracks. So maybe if LHS owners and racers somehow worked together this could be a win/win situation.

On a quick note....Socal gets my nod of approval. Their prices are just a tad higher than online stores but it doesn't matter to me because they are racer oriented. I'm big on customer service and I've always had a pleasant time dealing with them. They know how racers feel because they talk to them....and not just the big name guys but everybody. Some LHS I've been to, the owner's have fallend so deep into operations that they forget about what the racers want.

Enough said....sorry guys.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 01:21 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to sonicboom141

well LHS probally has to pay rent or payments of building they own, also have to pay any workers they have and all the bills etc..
I guess same with online shop but they have many more customers ordering so prices can be lowered. LHS cant stock all your needs, but for me I have nothing close so doesnt matter.
sonicboom141 is offline   Reply With Quote