R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I forgot to add that it does not move easily at first, you have to gently force it.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
Tech Adept

so would you advise as gearing with this combo on a 100x 40 track size

[QUOTE=LMRacing;9835946] You need to gear the motor as hard as possiblte without getting the motor warm. Everytime you slow down because you bumped a wall and the motor has to start from 0 again it adds a lot of heat to the motor,
Old 10-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

I gear my 17.5 for 3.6-8 fdr. For my tc5, 52-55/98-104 gears. If its too fast run less motor timing or lower epa.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Forgive doublpost but iphone crashes when i try to edit.

But i picked up a used tekin combo for $150 here for my first season of racing. Esc nice and small and he motor ran smooth and strong. Easy timing adjustment by turning the endbell.
Thats in my 12th now, picked up another tekin and a lrp x12 for the tc. I liked my tekin but i think my lrp is stronger in blinky sor far. Good looking motor too =)
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-E View Post
You can. I just loosened the screws on the back and twisted the plate counter clockwise 7min (from 12 o' clock position) and tightened it back up. It was noticeable faster on the straights - let just say I am not getting beat because the motor is too slow anymore.
You can in the race motors, but the sportsman labeled motors are a locked endbell stamped motor. I have a pair of them, there decent motors at a great price as a spec system for club racing to keep things on the cheap and slower so that its a better class for begginers.

No, your not going to get slaughterd if you gear the car a little harder (the locked endbell motors generaly like a lower fdr than higher reving motors) and you run a clean line. People dont realise how much more important a clean line is that what car or motor your running. Hara could have won the IIC with a Team Acadomy car and a hobby wing if thats what he had to run just because of how clean and smooth he ran. Run whats comfortable to you. I was running a TC3 a few weeks ago as my primary car and just moved up to the TC6 and saw no improvement of lap times (though I did get a little more consistant). In fact I went a 1/10th of a second faster in my TC3 than I've been able to do with my TC6 as of yet.

As for FDR, it varies from track to track and driver to driver and differs also on electronics. I run an FDR of 4.33 with Duo3 and Revtech motors and ran a 4.17 with my duo2 to aquire about the same lap times. I now have a Reedy Sonic in the car that I will test for the first time this weekend. I run a TC6 and have a little difficulty running a smooth line. Friend of mine runs an original HB Cyclone and runs an FDR of about 4.22 and runs about half a second to a whole second a lap faster than me on average on a 100x60 or so track.

The infield plays a big role on gearing as well. The tighter it is the higher your FDR needs to be to keep the motor at optimal temp, if its a better flowing infield you can get away with a lower FDR number because the RPM's stay up

Hope it helps some
LMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

There are 2 versions of the Citrix Stock Spec combos that I can see; and just to be confusing, I think they both carry the same name:

1) The orginal (I have 2 sets) - The ESC has the wires to the switch and receiver soldered into the board (poorly I would add - 1 of mine came with the wires touching and the other came with them dissconected from the board - had to resolder them both and the wires are thicker than the holes so they lay the wire on the board ). And the motor looks like a Mabuchi Silver Can with the solder tabs on top. The motor screws can be loosed and the timing adjusted. I run this in my TC3 for onroad and my B4 for off-road; great combo to run cheap.

2) The new version (I haven't seen this one in person, just on the web) - The ESC has plugs for the switch and receiver connections (an improvement). The motor has 3 plugs and the timing is locked. I suppose this version is better for true spec racing, but I prefer being able to adj the endbell as an option.

I've run the Tekin RS (very nice), LRP SXX Stock Spec V2 (very nice), Novak (all of them at 1 time or another - nice), and the Speed Passion (well, you get what you pay for).

If I had it all to do over today, I'd go with the Novak Edge if I wanted to go cheap, and either the Tekin RS or SXX Stock Spec V2 if you wanted higher end.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate View Post
I've run the Tekin RS (very nice), LRP SXX Stock Spec V2 (very nice), Novak (all of them at 1 time or another - nice), and the Speed Passion (well, you get what you pay for).

If I had it all to do over today, I'd go with the Novak Edge if I wanted to go cheap, and either the Tekin RS or SXX Stock Spec V2 if you wanted higher end.
I dont think I could run another novak esc. Some of the newer ones require you to run there motor because they have a temp sensor inside the motor that the esc needs to read to arm, without that sensor (which the novak is the only current motor I'm aware of with the sensor) the ESC wont do anything. and while there ESC's run on the cheaper side there motors tend to be a little pricey for the preformance they offer in my opinion. (I can confirm for sure that the Havoc motor and esc combos the esc does require you to run a novak motor)

I run the SXX Stock specs just because the feel of the LRP esc's is more to my preferance over the Tekin. I think the Tekin RS is easily the best deal on any of the ESC's currently on the market though. But really all the ESC's are on a fairly even playing field in blinky other than throttle response. Some are more linar than others and some have a more touchy feel, while others are nothing more than an on/off switch.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMRacing View Post
...Some of the newer ones require you to run there motor ... (I can confirm for sure that the Havoc motor and esc combos the esc does require you to run a novak motor)
whoa, really?
I've used the Havoc 1S and a friend ran the Havoc Pro with other motors.
Which one has the problem?
That would be bad.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just picked up a Novak GTB2 for my 17.5 blinky spec class. I have the SXX V2 stock spec in my other cars, but the budget just didn't stretch far enough for another one

I'm going to run it with a LRP X12 17.5. Install and first impressions are great, just the usual GTB issues - it's damn big. Measure your chassis space before you buy. But for $99, I think it's a bargain.
Losiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMRacing View Post
I dont think I could run another novak esc. Some of the newer ones require you to run there motor because they have a temp sensor inside the motor that the esc needs to read to arm, without that sensor (which the novak is the only current motor I'm aware of with the sensor) the ESC wont do anything. and while there ESC's run on the cheaper side there motors tend to be a little pricey for the preformance they offer in my opinion. (I can confirm for sure that the Havoc motor and esc combos the esc does require you to run a novak motor)
So wrong, just so wrong.

LRP has internal temp sensor. NOVAK esc will run with any of the sensored motors out there.(I have run many different makes with most of the current NOVAK speed controls available with no problems.) They will not work with sensorless motors. The new ESC with the X drive run considerably cooler now and the epoxied motors with the open can configuration are very durable and fast. NOVAK speed controls, if anything, have more adjustment then the average person really needs.

If your having compatibility issues you should contact NOVAK and I am sure they will get you sorted out.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #26
Suspended

Beware tho of the Citrix Stock Spec, if you go this path you will be stuck using Speedpassion motors as these ESC will not work with other motors for some reason.

I have the Speedpassion citrix/17.5 combo and its a great setup, but i also drive every other week in a 10.5 blinky class, and or this i chose an LRP 10.5T stock motor, which my citrix hated.

In the end i have settled with a Hobbywing Juststock so i can use the same esc with both motors.

Oh and the reason why i went with the LRP 10.5 was because its 3600KV and the Speedpassion is 3400KV.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Speed Passion ultra sportsmen 2 lets you move the iming bell around the whole entire can without any restrictions. every one you here who runs 21.5 blinky runs the SP motor and no one can keep up because they can crank the timing.
TRXRACER99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've only run the Novak ESC's for a very long time. If it's not Orange it does not go in my cars. I just run one class WGT single cell. I recieved a Edge which (is smaller than the Tekin) and a Havoc Pro SC with XDrive. I ran the Edge because it was smaller this past weekend in our state series. I had a Trinity D3 motor and it was just as fast as the two lead cars. Both of them being a very good drivers. One is nationally known.The only reason I was back in 4th was the first turn crash and about 30 years difference in age.The two lead cars both had Tekins . Motor wise the winner had a Revtech and second had a Ballastic.I'm more than confident that the Edge is a very good ESC. But I'm installing the Havoc Pro SC for my next race. You can't go wrong with Orange in your car. If you have any questions about Novak stuff send them a E-mail they will answer you. I almost forgot we run in the blinky mode in our series ( Florida State Electric On-Road Series) in WGT.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
I've only run the Novak ESC's for a very long time. If it's not Orange it does not go in my cars. I just run one class WGT single cell. I recieved a Edge which (is smaller than the Tekin) and a Havoc Pro SC with XDrive. I ran the Edge because it was smaller this past weekend in our state series. I had a Trinity D3 motor and it was just as fast as the two lead cars. Both of them being a very good drivers. One is nationally known.The only reason I was back in 4th was the first turn crash and about 30 years difference in age.The two lead cars both had Tekins . Motor wise the winner had a Revtech and second had a Ballastic.I'm more than confident that the Edge is a very good ESC. But I'm installing the Havoc Pro SC for my next race. You can't go wrong with Orange in your car. If you have any questions about Novak stuff send them a E-mail they will answer you. I almost forgot we run in the blinky mode in our series ( Florida State Electric On-Road Series) in WGT.
The Havoc Pro SC with the XDrive is a very good speed control in Blinky class, you will like it.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
So wrong, just so wrong.

If your having compatibility issues you should contact NOVAK and I am sure they will get you sorted out.
Didnt work with any of my Duo2 or Duo1 motors. The only motors I've run till recently have been trinity. It was just the Havok esc that comes as the 17.5 spec combo. I think there different than the 1s or 3s havok esc's that sell seperate of the motors