R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

I was running *3 last round of championship but when I tried the putty in front gear diff too and 50wt shock oil in rear it was really smooth to drive my TC6.

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rcberger, once you put lcd's in the front of your tc4, you will never go back to #5, which is the slowest of all here...#1 through #4 are close in speed, and it is really a matter of sealing + maintenance. Also , I really use quite a bit of loctite in my ball diff bolts: I overtighten them a bit, and put more loctite on the threads that have passed through the diff nut, and make sure I wait until the loctite has dried up before loosening the diff bolt . My ball diffs never felt too far off after that, eventhough they will still need some tightening due to the rings wearing out ....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #18
Tech Master

I have ran gear diffs and ball diffs over the years both on road and off road.

I remember where ball diffs were an upgrade and gear diffs were just what the rubbish kits came with.

IMO the ability to fine tune a ball diff is its main advantage for perfect car setup.

Gear diffs to get them right you have to check pulling them out of the car and change the oil.

I love the ease of maintaince ie not required for gear diffs but ball diffs can offer better performance when tuned to perfection.

The ultimate diff is probably the torsen oil diff but they were dam expensive required special oil and needed to have the oil replaced regularly.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I'm used to running gear diffs when I ran nitro TC. However, for electric TC, I run a ball diff. It so easy to tune once you have it built right. Just turn the screw to make it tighter or more loose.

In nitro I also did diff tuning the only way possible, I had extra diffs pre-built with different oils and would swap in a different diff depending on my preference for the track condition. So If you don't mind paying another $150 - $200 for the extra diffs, then yes gear diffs can be easy to tune.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
Suspended

All I can say at this point, is gear diffs , in front, do give an instant response versus ball diffs, but in the rear that response might be hard to tune. Also, make sure you run lcd's or ecs drives up front or the vibrations will chew the gears up...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Slightly off topic...lol

Delta had a 12th gear diff that no one used really

I guess gear is just for Sedan
Old 10-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

I was surprise to see that on Serpent 411 the gear diff comes with only one axle and 2 small gears rather than the usual 4 (or I am mistaken by the manual pictures missing parts)

Any idea why? except the obvious of less weight?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Personally, I only use two combinations now... *1 or *3.
Most of the time I still end up on *3 as it is simply faster, and lap times don't lie.

A gear diff in the front does have it's place (certainly on a tight and twisty track where steering is king), but keeping a spool in the front keeps better drive off the turn, and this works better on larger flowing tracks.

Best too have both and give them a try to what suits you, your car, and your track best.

(when I'm talking about a front gear, I mean with 500K or putty btw, rear is nearly always 1000wt)

HiH
Ed
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Depending on the conditions of the track, I have run spool/ball, spool/gear, gear/gear, and gear/ball. I have started with one and swapped to the other with varying success. I started the nats with gear/gear and swapped to spool/gear and went faster. We are starting to move indoors now and I'm currently running gear/ball with the best feel.

Make sure when comparing oil/fluid wts in your gear diffs that you are using the same amount of fluid each time. You can't compare someone else's setup to yours without knowing how much fluid they used in comparison to your build.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #25
Suspended

I definitely can see that with #3 you can put the most power on the ground , and that the rear will want to rotate while the spool pulls the car out of the corners. There is a front to rear balance in that setup that can be translated into faster laptimes if you can get the rear to plant itself enough for you to be consistent .
Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Does anyone know what the differences between the associated gear diffs and the spec r diffs will be?
(Rick ?)

D.
204 Raceway Winnipeg 1/10-1/8 Offroad. Owner.
mtbboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
I was surprise to see that on Serpent 411 the gear diff comes with only one axle and 2 small gears rather than the usual 4 (or I am mistaken by the manual pictures missing parts)

Any idea why? except the obvious of less weight?
I've had this debate in the S411 thread. Apparently the arguement for Serpent to supply the diff with two less and gears and the shaft is not just for weight but supposedly less drag when using the lighter diff fluids. I ran nitro with the 733 whose diffs are almost the same and have experienced that when using the lighter fluids. Unlike all the other gear diffs out there, Serpent is the only one that has steel gears in its gear diff.

However, given that I see so many recent setups suggesting some heavy fluids (100,000+), I don't see why Serpent just doesn't include the extra gears and allow the user to adjust it to his liking. Many have commented that their Serpent gear diff ran better with the full set of four gears in their gear diff.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
Slightly off topic...lol

Those diffs were open and not enclosed like the ones being used in the TC's. If they had an enclosed gear diff for 1/12 that would allow you to put putty in it, then that would be the hot ticket for 1/12.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Not only Delta used it.
I drove the 1:12 cars from Tamiya that had a open gear diff also.
Won 3 club championships with that car agains the original 1:12 pancars with ball diff

regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
Slightly off topic...lol

Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
I've had this debate in the S411 thread. Apparently the arguement for Serpent to supply the diff with two less and gears and the shaft is not just for weight but supposedly less drag when using the lighter diff fluids. I ran nitro with the 733 whose diffs are almost the same and have experienced that when using the lighter fluids. Unlike all the other gear diffs out there, Serpent is the only one that has steel gears in its gear diff.

However, given that I see so many recent setups suggesting some heavy fluids (100,000+), I don't see why Serpent just doesn't include the extra gears and allow the user to adjust it to his liking. Many have commented that their Serpent gear diff ran better with the full set of four gears in their gear diff.
Thank you, Xray also have steel gears, but they use the 4 always as far as I know, but rear diff is used with lighter oil, I will give it a go to see for myself if there is any improvment or change.