R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Default Is there a CVD/Axle length list?

I searched but could not anything like what I needed. I am looking for a list of CVD/Axle lengths for touring cars. I'm working on my older Kawada SV10 and would like to find some lighter aluminum axles for the car. I'm also unsure of the standard for measuring axle length.

The current axles for the SV10 are 75mm from the end of the threads to the center of the drive pin and 52mm from the wheel side of the CVD to the drive pin. I am looking for an axle/cvd assembly that is 2mm longer than this or the same length.

I had some Xray T2 axles and the outer CVD section is perfect but the axles are too short.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wish it were so simple, myself. But it's not. There are far too many variables for there to just be a length chart. Just a few:

-Length of threaded part of axle; diameter of threaded part;
-Length of axle; diameter of axle;
-Style of axle: straight or tapered;
-Does axle use cross-pins?
-Length from cross-pin to axle flange or face;
-Length of CVD bone from pin-to-pin;
-Diameter of CVD joints & inner balls;
-Length & diameter of cross-pins;
-Joint construction: which end has the cup, which has the ball? Or is it just a U-joint?

There are probably even more variables that come into play when you're custom-fitting CVDs. This just goes to show you it's not simply a matter of length. I wish I could be more helpful, but I went through all this when modding a vintage off-road buggy to be a narrower-track onroad car.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Well I've read on a blog I found about my car that TOP Photon 46mm cvds will work on this car but I just want to get some other options. If I could get some people to measure their axle/cvd's for different cars it would be appreciated especially anyone with a Sakura S Zero as the aluminum axles are pretty cheap.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Another thing also when I measure the Xray axle it's only 50mm from ball end to end, I see they make 55mm axles for these, I'm curious if that measurement is from ball end to end also. So if anyone has those axles could they take some measurements for me?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

agreed. no comprehensive list exists that i know of. but so much stuff uses the same geometry, it can be done w/o massive trial and error.

first, the bones look to be 46mm, and i know tamiya makes 48mm versions for the .. ta05?? the bone ball and pin appear to be 6mm/2mm respectively, which also matches up with what tamiya does...

now, you just have to find the right axles. most of them out there are designed to have two 4mm (wide) bearings with a 2mm gap between them. the kawada ones appear to be pretty close to that ... and i'd bet they are 5mm dia like 97% of the touring cars ever made.

i might start here: assembly
and add these: 48mm

if you still need more plunge, you'll have find axles designed with a wider bearing span, and just shim them in another 1-2mm. the kingpin won't line up properly, but it won't change much in the way of handling..

i'm sure there are other combos that will work, but the two items above should at least fit each other...

Last edited by seaball; 10-24-2011 at 06:06 PM.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Tech Adept

So I am guessing that most drive bones are measured pin to pin on center. But Xray measures theirs from ball end to ball end. I was looking on my xray and I had 50mm up front and 52mm in back so I measured the 52mm versions and they are 46mm pin to pin which would mean those 48mm bones would be about perfect. Thanks for the help on this so far, I guess it's off to buy some parts!