R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Questions?? Lipos with cell bulges/bumps on bottom

Hi, I'm running a Tamiya Evo V and I run LRP 5300 lipos that have the little cell bulges on the bottom to hold it in place on the chassis.

My current LRP lipos seem to be losing some of their punch as I've been running them for a few years. Is there any company making lipos nowadays that have the little cell bulges in them? I've been looking around and have been having a hang of a time finding any (other than the lrp ones).

Thanks for your help!
WillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Tech Addict

LRP still makes batteries with the bumps.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I was looking at the LRP's but the newer 5900 and 6200's are slightly thicker and I don't think would fit under my center chassis brace as my 5300's barely fit.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It seems most of the batteries over 4000mah have gone to the flat rectangular shape. Zippy still has the 4000 hardcase packs with the humps. Whats the reason for anything larger ?? With 4000 packs available at 40-50c, it seems anything larger is just overkill.
I ran all the Evo series cars. Still great and I miss it sometimes.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
It seems most of the batteries over 4000mah have gone to the flat rectangular shape. Zippy still has the 4000 hardcase packs with the humps. Whats the reason for anything larger ?? With 4000 packs available at 40-50c, it seems anything larger is just overkill.
I ran all the Evo series cars. Still great and I miss it sometimes.
The point with anything larger is end-of-run-voltage. Voltage = HP = SPEED. The longer that your battery stays at a higher voltage, the more speed potential you have and it helps you even out your lap times between the start of the clock and the finish.

When I used to run 5000mah 35C packs, after run voltage would be about 7.6something volts. Now that I run 5000mah 50C packs, after run voltage is 8.0something volts.

Even if it gains you .2/lap, by the end of 5 laps you have a 1 second lead over NOT having the power in your system. 1 second could mean the difference between 1st and 2nd, or needing marshalled and having that 1 second in the bank.

On my home track 20+ laps is normal. .2/lap x 20 laps = 4 full seconds. 1st -3rd are normally seperated by much less than that. That's like getting one free position, or one free marshall, or several free wall love taps.

In 1S racing, end-of-run-voltage is KING for the very same reasons.

To the OP, you can always get a conventional flat bottom pack and stick some self-stick foam on the bottom of the pack if necessary.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Venom has some pretty decent packs with small humps.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Do all of the Venoms have the bumps? I was looking at the newer ones and they don't make any mention nor do they show the bottom.

Thanks for the self stick foam idea as well.......I was thinking about that and then suddenly came up with the idea of using velcro to attach the pack to the chassis. I already have been using a Pure-Tech battery strap but nothing stops batteries without the bumps from shooting out the side which I discovered when I was running one of my Orion lipos last night.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Tech Lord

I know the green ones did. I think the new red case ones do too but I am not positive. It's a very small hump but it does the job. I use the green ones in my TC5.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

4000mah 40c packs are good enough to off set their end run deficiencies by being lighter. They , thereby, offer more lead weight placement options that easily overcome their lack of end run power . Only at the super high racing scene, with minimal accidents, do those supposedly .2 seconds will make a difference. As for the battery bulges, are they a design change or is it that the battery suddenly developed the bulge ?
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I used to cut some good thick adhesive or servo tape precisely on the bottom of mines between the cell slots to serve as some lateral support.

You aint messin wit my dougie..
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote