Wiki Posts
Search

Turn Marshaling at R/C Car Events

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Turn Marshaling at R/C Car Events

Here is something I found on the Internet from an r/c group in the East. I have slightly edited it for how things are done for NorCal races.

TURN MARSHALING AT R/C CAR EVENTS

Many people who have never driven at an organized R/C Race Track may have not heard this term before. So I am going to start off with the basic definition of a Turn Marshal. Basically, a Turn Marshal is driver that immediately returns to the course after his or her race to work the course and maintain optimum racing conditions for those racers in the following session.

Here are the responsibilities of a Turn Marshal:

1) Help maintain a clear race course for competitors.

2) Assist vehicles that have become unable to move because of a crash or spin.

3) Remove disabled vehicles that are unable to continue because of mechanical problems (By the shut off switch or unplugging the battery with electric vehicles and the appropriate method to shut down a gas vehicle).

4) Correct issues that arise with the track layout. This normally includes re-positioning corner cones and/or barriers to their original position after being displaced during a session.

Provide an open race course for the rest of the racers as QUICKLY and SAFELY as possible. If you race, you have an obligation to work as a Turn Marshal. Various tracks handle marshaling differently. Some tracks have numbered pylons corresponding with your starting position to indicate where your turn assignment is located. Others just allow you to pick a corner or area of the track. In either situation, after your race is over, disable your vehicle and return the transponder as quickly as possible and proceed to your Turn Marshaling position. This will help the race day go smoothly and as quickly as possible.

Here are the basics of Turn Marshaling:

1) When on the track, be sure you are not standing in a driver’s line of sight or blocking a view of a portion of the race track.

2) Stay focused on your assigned portion of the racetrack. It is easy to get caught up in watching the race and miss getting someone on their way or clearing the track quickly in a crash.

3) First to crash is first to be flipped in multi vehicle pileups.

4) Be impartial - Every driver and car should be treated equally. Don't turn over a friend or family member’s vehicle first if they were included on the tail end of a crash.

5) Never step into oncoming traffic to get a disabled car. These vehicles, Electric or Gas, are traveling at a speed that could easily injure you if you are struck by one of them. Wait for a reasonably clear opportunity to move to the disabled vehicle(s). MOVE QUICKLY. Watch your step on temporary carpet tracks to avoid bunching or damaging the track material.

6) Never put a vehicle in the path of oncoming traffic. The proper method is to wait until traffic has passed and reset it or lift the car off the track to keep other cars from hitting it and then place it back in the race when traffic is clear.

7) Always set the vehicle going in the right direction. Don't just turn it over and let the driver to make a large turn to get going in the right direction. Set the vehicle in a position that the driver can quickly reenter the race on his own. Be aware of vehicles that have jumped over barriers. Put them on the track where they left the track and not where they landed. On tracks with a lot of switch backs this could advance the vehicle unfairly ahead of competitors.

8) Attempt to repair minor damage if you can quickly, (Popped Rod ends, loose batteries, dislocated CVD’s, wedged in body parts, etc. Remember... The Cars still in the race have priority!!!! If you have to, hand the vehicle over to a friend of the driver or just shut it off and tend to the track.

9) If you are not able to Marshal the next race after your session, it is your responsibility to inform the track officials or find a replacement marshal. At many tracks you are penalized a lap or disqualified for not Marshaling and not informing the officials.

10) Please remember when you are driving, Do not scream at the marshals. Abusive language is not acceptable. If they don't see your vehicle, then yes you can get their attention. Treat people like you would want to be treated.

Here are a few things to be aware of. Be conscience of areas of the vehicle that can harm you. Gas engines have exhaust systems that get hot and electric motors get very hot too. Be cautious of moving parts. Wheels, axles, and flywheels can all cause injuries. When on the drivers stand, please wait until the Marshal has released your vehicle for their safety, before hitting the throttle. Make sure you don't have things in your pockets that can fall out on the track as you are assisting vehicles.

In closing, there is a time and place for everything. When you are marshaling a race, it is not the time for a smoke, eat or chat with fellow onlookers. Surely you can wait until the race is over for such things. There is a saying that holds true…If you don't like having your car marshaled, don't crash. The most important thing to remember is that we are all out there to have fun.

Thank you for fulfilling your obligation to Turn Marshal.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

holy [email protected] was a lot of post.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by mafiaracers
holy [email protected] was a lot of post.
Just putting it out there for the peanut gallery. A newbie might benefit.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Can i copy it and paste it into another thread?
Old 11-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bravo - Well said
Old 11-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by AdR|aN
Can i copy it and paste it into another thread?
As far as I am concerned, be my guest. It belongs everywhere.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

WOW how long did that post take you
Old 11-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by hpipro321
WOW how long did that post take you
I can't take much credit. It was posted about a year ago on some East Coast r/c club website. All I did was edit it a bit.

I do try to abide by it when I am TM'ing though.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:57 AM

off subject,

bill, coming to fremont the weekend of dec 4th and 5th, wheres the close track that will be racing that weekend?
Old 11-24-2004, 06:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Before I started smashing my car into the corners and everyone elses cars, I marsheled at my local races for 6 months to learn the driver, the courses, and how to fix cars and get out of the way quickly. I think everyone that comes to race should do the same. You learn how to do quick fixes and find the racing lines. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by minijosh
Before I started smashing my car into the corners and everyone elses cars, I marsheled at my local races for 6 months to learn the driver, the courses, and how to fix cars and get out of the way quickly. I think everyone that comes to race should do the same. You learn how to do quick fixes and find the racing lines. Just my 2 cents though.
Six months!?! You really paid your dues and I applaud you for that.

I did the same for about six weeks myself...But maybe we in the US are a tad quicker....he, he...

Oh, I'm half English.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by ritchie
off subject,

bill, coming to fremont the weekend of dec 4th and 5th, wheres the close track that will be racing that weekend?
ritchie,
Please check the local NorCal schedule at www.rcracing.com and PM me for others that may pop up. I will most likely be out at Stockton on that Saturday.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

excellent post!!
i was recently a victim of a person who would have benefitted from this post
all i needed was to have my body pulled out and the guy proceeded to pick the car up, hold it in the air, and look at me like i was crazy for stopping. after the announcer AND the people watching started yelling BODY! BODY! he still didn't get the hint and just the car back down. luckily another marshall ran over and fixed it
Old 11-24-2004, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the main problem is that people dont take turn marshalling seriously until it's their car that needs the help. I went ahead & reposted this thread on my website so I can spread the word about what turn marshalling should be.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up Right on the money

Originally posted by Nrctc3
I think the main problem is that people dont take turn marshalling seriously until it's their car that needs the help. I went ahead & reposted this thread on my website so I can spread the word about what turn marshalling should be.
I agree and I am going to do the same thing by putting it on my website for our racers. Good post, well done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.