Default Xray Suspension

what does everyone suggest is the better suspension for the xray

the pivot ball or the c-hub???
iamjeff6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Corey Bernardo

Chub.... IF you go to the forun dedicated just to speak about the T1, its a great place for info.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to g_bruin Send a message via Yahoo to g_bruin

Corey is correct in that you'll get more info about that if you do a search from the Xray Thread.

In general, the pivot ball is great for a beginner since the car is not as reactive. Chub with long arms is more twitcher and needs a more experienced driver to take full advantage, while the latest FK with short arms are the ultimate in response.

I started out with pillow ball before moving on to chub. Eventually I'll get the fk.
g_bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

C-hub all the way!
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:24 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

I would say C-hub, but if tend to hit alot of walls i would go with pivot ball.
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:26 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

If you hit alot of walls get the short arms & an impact absorbing front bumper.
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:59 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would always run the c hub suspension. It doens't have as much camber change as the pivot ball suspension. The pivot ball suspension was taken directly off a serpent gas car, which is much heavier, has a higher center of gravity, and runs on foam tires outside. Thats what the pivot ball suspensiopn was mainly made for. The C hub suspension is a whole new system built from the ground up for the xray. It works awesome anywhere in my opinion.

-Korey
Old 11-28-2004, 05:04 PM   #8
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sushi Boy
I would always run the c hub suspension. It doens't have as much camber change as the pivot ball suspension. The pivot ball suspension was taken directly off a serpent gas car, which is much heavier, has a higher center of gravity, and runs on foam tires outside. Thats what the pivot ball suspensiopn was mainly made for. The C hub suspension is a whole new system built from the ground up for the xray. It works awesome anywhere in my opinion.

-Korey
I vote for that
Old 11-28-2004, 08:09 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Pivot Ball users unite!

The pivot ball suspension can be tuned to be as effective as the c-hub suspension. The main reason so many advise against the pivot ball is that they are so used to the c-hub. Before the original Xray T1 no electric car used the pivot ball suspension. And the T1 was deemed as being "too complicated", "too many adjustments", "not for the beginner". This was because the overwhelming number of people were much so more familiar with the c-hub. So as a result the pivot ball got a bad rap. My first r/c car was a Serpent Impulse so I had no such attitude. My first electric car had a c-hub suspension and I could never get it to handle, plus I hated have to buy parts when I wanted to experiment with different setups. I jumped on the T1 as soon as I could get one. I currently drive a Evo II with all the upgrades on the new FK except it has a short arm pillow ball suspension. My car is still under weight and I haven't added the light weight rear bulkheads or light weight diffs. My car handles ALL aspects of the turns as quick or quicker than the Losis and Associateds that I run against. I lose no time through the transistions. And my car is lighter. I won my club race this last weekend by 3/4 of a lap. If you take the time to set it up you will give very little if anything away to a c-hub car. Add to that that in the 2 seasons I have had my Xray I have to only replace 1 shock (not my fault) and one drive shaft (definately my fault). Less that $20 in broken parts in 2 years. And not one dime to change caster, rear toe-in, or roll center.
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:41 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to AdR|aN
Default Re: Pivot Ball users unite!

Quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_racer
The pivot ball suspension can be tuned to be as effective as the c-hub suspension. The main reason so many advise against the pivot ball is that they are so used to the c-hub. Before the original Xray T1 no electric car used the pivot ball suspension. And the T1 was deemed as being "too complicated", "too many adjustments", "not for the beginner". This was because the overwhelming number of people were much so more familiar with the c-hub. So as a result the pivot ball got a bad rap. My first r/c car was a Serpent Impulse so I had no such attitude. My first electric car had a c-hub suspension and I could never get it to handle, plus I hated have to buy parts when I wanted to experiment with different setups. I jumped on the T1 as soon as I could get one. I currently drive a Evo II with all the upgrades on the new FK except it has a short arm pillow ball suspension. My car is still under weight and I haven't added the light weight rear bulkheads or light weight diffs. My car handles ALL aspects of the turns as quick or quicker than the Losis and Associateds that I run against. I lose no time through the transistions. And my car is lighter. I won my club race this last weekend by 3/4 of a lap. If you take the time to set it up you will give very little if anything away to a c-hub car. Add to that that in the 2 seasons I have had my Xray I have to only replace 1 shock (not my fault) and one drive shaft (definately my fault). Less that $20 in broken parts in 2 years. And not one dime to change caster, rear toe-in, or roll center.
Its always nice to know that Xray seldom brake parts. For my case, only one front arm (PB) for the past 1 and a half year. After that been running CHub and never turning back.
I believe its not a good thing to argue about which suspension is the best.
Both can be good if you know how to set it up properly. Given the right time and knowledge, everything can be done correctly.
AdR|aN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:00 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Pivot Ball users unite!

Quote:
Originally posted by AdR|aN
Its always nice to know that Xray seldom brake parts. For my case, only one front arm (PB) for the past 1 and a half year. After that been running CHub and never turning back.
I believe its not a good thing to argue about which suspension is the best.
Both can be good if you know how to set it up properly. Given the right time and knowledge, everything can be done correctly.

I agree. Just depends on what you are used to and what works for you.
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:51 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Impulse-racer, which short arms do you use with the pillow ball, part #s if poss? Thanks.
c-lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by c-lyon
Impulse-racer, which short arms do you use with the pillow ball, part #s if poss? Thanks.
Yes, I'd also be interested in hearing what parts you are using. I was unaware they released a short pivot ball suspension kit.... ??
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #14
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

i think he meant use short arms for chub if your breaking them..not quite sure though as he didnt make it clear.
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:37 PM   #15
JKA
Tech Master

Default Re: Pivot Ball users unite!

Quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_racer
I currently drive a Evo II with all the upgrades on the new FK except it has a short arm pillow ball suspension. My car is still under weight and I haven't added the light weight rear bulkheads or light weight diffs.
I'm not going to go so far as to say a pillowball car connot handle as well as a c-hub car, but weight is definitely an issue if you are running carpet with foam tires (Roar weight is 1418 or so).

I'd be willing to bet that its impossible to get a pillowball car down to 1420 grams without major modifications to the pillowball system. Not to mention these changes would undermine its durability.

I use c-hub exclusively.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote