R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2004, 12:43 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Proteus

Hmm..interesting. I had the original T1 and I loved it then. Me and three other racers did alot of testing. We tried alot of setups but just could not get it to work with the PB suspension. Between the three of us we had over 40+ years or rc experience. Two of the three are engineers and know alot about chassis design. Okay...what I miss about the car was that it was a beast. Nothing broke. Even when I would get those crazy glithches that would put it onto a wall at full throttle....the only thing that cracked was the bumper. Setup was a plus. Set it and forget it. It holds its settings well.

The thing that all of us agreed was that it just couldn't corner fast enough. When it first came out...we did alot of testing of prototype parts such as the dual position (for ackerman) steering post and the new bulkheads and different wheel throw geometries. The TC3's and Losi's were just plain faster...especially the TC3. One of the drivers that was running the T1 is an excellent driver. He could keep a Pro2 up there in the MOD A main against sponsored drivers. I have only seen 1 T1 able to keep up with the rest of the pack and that was Burch down at Snowbirds back in 2002...but nowhere close enough in Mod.

Bring your Xray with the PB suspension and see if it can hang with us. I race at www.rctrack.com and have alot of competition from the TC3s and now the TC4s. I run a Pro4 now. Right now....I think the car to beat at least in 19T and stock would be the either the Pro4, TC3,TC4 and the FK. Since the only one that has the new Losi is Andrew Gray...he doesn't count. He's a much better driver than any of us 19T or stock guys.

So if you think that an Xray with the PB suspension can keep up...you're more than welcome to join us up here at Mimi's track.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 01:28 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

oops
Hudy
Litemodz CVS

Last edited by Impulse_racer; 12-01-2004 at 01:39 AM.
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 01:37 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
Hmm..interesting. I had the original T1 and I loved it then. Me and three other racers did alot of testing. We tried alot of setups but just could not get it to work with the PB suspension. Between the three of us we had over 40+ years or rc experience. Two of the three are engineers and know alot about chassis design. Okay...what I miss about the car was that it was a beast. Nothing broke. Even when I would get those crazy glithches that would put it onto a wall at full throttle....the only thing that cracked was the bumper. Setup was a plus. Set it and forget it. It holds its settings well.

The thing that all of us agreed was that it just couldn't corner fast enough. When it first came out...we did alot of testing of prototype parts such as the dual position (for ackerman) steering post and the new bulkheads and different wheel throw geometries. The TC3's and Losi's were just plain faster...especially the TC3. One of the drivers that was running the T1 is an excellent driver. He could keep a Pro2 up there in the MOD A main against sponsored drivers. I have only seen 1 T1 able to keep up with the rest of the pack and that was Burch down at Snowbirds back in 2002...but nowhere close enough in Mod.

Bring your Xray with the PB suspension and see if it can hang with us. I race at www.rctrack.com and have alot of competition from the TC3s and now the TC4s. I run a Pro4 now. Right now....I think the car to beat at least in 19T and stock would be the either the Pro4, TC3,TC4 and the FK. Since the only one that has the new Losi is Andrew Gray...he doesn't count. He's a much better driver than any of us 19T or stock guys.

So if you think that an Xray with the PB suspension can keep up...you're more than welcome to join us up here at Mimi's track.
Like I said before I am no expert. Just an average fish in a small pond. Last year I was all about horsepower. I bought a CE TurboDyno, Big Jim's Black Book, and spent hours tuning motors. And I had the fastest car going straight. I could not be passed in the straight or short shute but I was getting killed in the infield. But I was so focused on making the car faster motorwise I never thought about the setup much. As long as the rear didn't come around I was happy. This was only my second season on carpet, who knew? I couldn't do better than 3rd, mainly 4th or 5th. The light bulb just never went on. So this year I was about to buy the C-hub conversion kit, but after the light weight axles, driveshafts, layshaft, and aluminum pivot balls (for my outdoor Xray) I was a little short. At the same time I read something somewhere about "rolling through the corners and not scrubbing off too much speed". The light bulb lit up. I spent 7 hours over two days working on my setup. I would run 5 to 10 laps noticed what the car was or wasn't doing, looked at the Hudy Setup book to fix it, made one change, peaked my batteries and went back out. It was tedious but by the end of the second session I had dropped my lap average from 9.458(best from last season) to 8.756. And the car was sooo much easier to drive. It would now turn in sharply(no off power push), rotate through the corner(like it was on a pivot without oversteering), and when I reapplied power the rear would stop rotating, dig in(no on power push) and the car would just take off. On raceday last weekend the two guys with the Losi XXXSs who used to beat me like I stole something were there. I put in My Team Paradigm P2K2 and ran a 8.45 lap. I won the last race of the day by a lap. They actually wanted to tech my car. During the race while they were trail braking, I would just duck inside, roll through the corner and be back on power before they were 3/4 through the turn. When they decide to take me seriously and tightened up their line I was still faster. I made a driving error and had to play catch up. When I did I had to slow mid-corner to keep from rear ending the guy in front of me. I thought I was having an out of body experience. I was actually pulling away going through the chicane. I couldn't do this last year. It shown how much I was fighting the car last season. Like I said I am no expert, but I did run down two guys driving Losis who USED to beat me like I said something about their momma.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS

Last edited by Impulse_racer; 12-01-2004 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:38 AM   #34
JKA
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_racer
Another urban legend about pillow ball suspensions. You DO NOT have to put the car on a setup board everytime you run. For that to be true it would mean that the pivot balls would back out or screw in tighter on their own.
Thats cool! Just not what I've experienced with my serpent or my buddy's T1 PB car.

It seems to work for you though, and I've always said that a good car is all you need if you "know" the car. Understading your own car is a large part of becoming a better driver.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:52 AM   #35
Tech Initiate

My local track has a very good mix of chassis. TC3, TC4, Pro4, Losi, 415, Evo3, Evo4, Xray T1, Xray FK etc....

All the cars are competitive against each other, but the two fastest Xrays at the track that makes the A main everytime uses PB suspension. One actually ends up top 3 every weekin club races.

I believe that almost all chassis you can buy out there gives similar performance IF you can get it to work for YOU. It's all about getting the whole package together. The drive must work together with the car to achieve the ultimate racing machine.
Asurada Sugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I put in My Team Paradigm P2K2 and ran a 8.45 lap. I won the last race of the day by a lap. They actually wanted to tech my car. During the race while they were trail braking, I would just duck inside, roll through the corner and be back on power before they were 3/4 through the turn.
I just ordered one of those motors. Have you tried anything else from them? Why don't you and some of your friends make it up to Mimi's this Sat. We've got alot of people coming out the woodwork and competition will be fierce. Anybody running Pro4's down your way?

Jeff
Old 12-01-2004, 12:43 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Quote:
I just ordered one of those motors. Have you tried anything else from them? Why don't you and some of your friends make it up to Mimi's this Sat. We've got alot of people coming out the woodwork and competition will be fierce. Anybody running Pro4's down your way?

Jeff
I ordered a MVP from them last season for my Bloody Knife but when my LHS did not have any P2K2 armatures, it ended up in my Xray. It was the end of the season so I really never got to use it. It was the motor I used in that 7hours of testing. I was so impressed I said "why am spending hours in front of a CE turbodyno bending springs and aligning hoods when I can buy one of these." So I ordered two P2K2s. The customer service at Team Paradigm (and SMC) is great. Talked to Brandon Rhodes himself about a special request and he signed off as the tuner on the motors. I don't know if this was unusual but I was again impressed. I also get Tribotech lube from them.
I will be coming up but right now we are trying to get some new blood to come and race here. I am also a tennis instructor and one of my students used to race in New York. But he has a Pro 2 that I am going to talk him into replacing with Pro 4. Or an PB Xray. I have alot of stuff from my Pro 3 days that he can have until he trades up. But I will be coming up soon. It is one of the main reasons why I like this hobby is the good people you meet who also spend way too much money on toy cars.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Old 12-01-2004, 01:01 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
It is one of the main reasons why I like this hobby is the good people you meet who also spend way too much money on toy cars.
Aint that the truth. Especially when you spread yourself thin between classes. Next year I may get into 1/8 offroad. I had purchased a savage just so I could have a car/truck to play with. When I had told some of my non-rc friends that I had just purchased a MT to play with they laughed and said what do I call racing my onroad cars? I told them WORK! Now because of the Savage and having a blast running offroad....the temptation to run 1/8 scale buggies is growing more and more. Especially since many of the sedan guys that I used to run with now run 1/8 scale buggies.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:28 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Impulse_racer:

You got PM
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:16 PM   #40
Tech Regular

Quote:
Aint that the truth. Especially when you spread yourself thin between classes. Next year I may get into 1/8 offroad. I had purchased a savage just so I could have a car/truck to play with. When I had told some of my non-rc friends that I had just purchased a MT to play with they laughed and said what do I call racing my onroad cars? I told them WORK! Now because of the Savage and having a blast running offroad....the temptation to run 1/8 scale buggies is growing more and more. Especially since many of the sedan guys that I used to run with now run 1/8 scale buggies.
You are definately preaching to the chior. Summer before this past one I was running 1/10 gas sedan, 1/10 electric sedan, and 1/8 scale onroad. Try that along with track marshalling, setup adjustments, repairs, etc. Racedays were just a blurr like the money going out of my wallet. Now I desparately trying to run just a 710 during the summer and an Xray and Bloody Knife during the winter. That Xray buggy does look nice, though.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Old 12-01-2004, 08:23 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to AdR|aN

Quote:
Y That Xray buggy does look nice, though.
Its not only nice.
It actually works.
Quality and finishing only Xray owners knows.
AdR|aN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:13 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Pivot Ball users unite!

Quote:
Originally posted by JKA
I'm not going to go so far as to say a pillowball car connot handle as well as a c-hub car, but weight is definitely an issue if you are running carpet with foam tires (Roar weight is 1418 or so).

I'd be willing to bet that its impossible to get a pillowball car down to 1420 grams without major modifications to the pillowball system. Not to mention these changes would undermine its durability.

I use c-hub exclusively.
I weighed my Xray RTR but no body, 1348.6g

EVO II PB suspension

FK light weight axles, driveshafts, front oneway, and layshaft
Light weight hardened aluminum pivot balls
BMI 350 chassis kit (can't use the rear shock tower though and had to slightly modify the top brace)
Novak XXL receiver
Novak GT7 ESC
SMC 3300
Team Paradigm MVP motor
AMB Personal Transponder
Jaco 28mm foams trued down to 59mm
Robinson Racing light weight pinion
Kimbrough Spur 128T

Waiting to add the FK rear aluminum bulkheads and light weight diffs when they become available.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS

Last edited by Impulse_racer; 12-02-2004 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:55 AM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Pivot Ball users unite!

Quote:
I weighed my Xray RTR but no body, 1348.6g

EVO II PB suspension
Impulse_racer ... you'll be fine. I know a PB racer and who converted the rear to short arms. Loves the front PB because it doesn't break. And he's still spanking FKs, TC3s etc. His car rolls the farthest after freeing up the drive train. Dremeled out every other tooth on the diff pulleys.

ROAR min. weight is 1525 grams
IFMAR min. weight is 1500 grams

If you're at 1349g, body is about 100-110g (depending on the amount of paint and stickers you use) and PT is about 9-11g (depending on wire length).

So I'm guessing you'll be around an illegal 1458-1470 grams ready-to-race (club race).
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:58 AM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Impulse, didn't see you had your AMB listed there. Subtract 9-11 grams.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:00 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Thanks. I was surprised at the weight myself. I weighed it at the post office, so I thought the scale had to be off. So I took it to the hospital I work at and put on the pharmacy's scale.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS

Last edited by Impulse_racer; 12-02-2004 at 12:06 PM.