R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default NEW TOURING CAR DESIGNS

Today I noticed Reedy announced their shorty 7.4 like the Losi shorty pack and I began to wonder if maybe we will begin to see any new cutting edge designs with TC to accept the much smaller shorty packs? Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I could go for something like that. I dont need the Mah that I have and I could use something that is easier to strap into my outdated TC chassis.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would like to see a shaft drive chassis with off set diff cases like the Losi 8ight buggy. Then take a lipo pack and narrow it up 40% and put it center of the car with it standing up on edge.

Yes it will be a higher center of gravity but it would be dead center line of the chassis.

Just an idea.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Lipo

http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uplo...eedyShorty.jpg
Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Liking the look of that Reedy battery, you could design an excellent TC around that.

I'd like to see the motor and battery in the centre of the chassis. Probably use saddle packs or a shorty lipo. Then a three-belt system; with modern lipos the slight extra drag wouldn't matter, and the handling benefits would be huge.

A few have attempted this over the years, but most have comprimised the suspension, CoG or chassis stiffness to achieve it so none have really worked that well.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shorty pack for TC, that would be sweet.

I'm seeing an Mi4 with in-line LiPo, servo on the right side and ESC mounted on the left side of the chassis. Three belts, front on the left in-front of the ESC, main belt on the right behind the servo and the rear belt in the same position as it is now. Maybe a bottom loading battery tray like the JRX-S. Loads of cool anodized alloy parts & carbon fibre... drool

OR a sideways LiPo position like 1/12th.

So much you could do with a chassis developed around a shorty. This could be the next revolution in Touring Car. Sign me up.
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow, funny to hear people talking of 3 belt designs with battery mounted near center. The Team Magic E4 was a damned good chassis with what I thought was huge potential for development and now it looks like Team Magic is scrapping it for a 2 belt traditional, blah,blah chassis design.
These shorty packs will make a huge impact on things in the near future. Only the beginning I'm sure. Battery tech will see major innovation over the next few years and some of that will filter down to us. Imagine when batts get down to the size of a ESC or Receiver !!! Yee Haw !
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm guessing we will eventally see induction chargers too. So your car stand will be your charger too
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I could go for something like that. I dont need the Mah that I have and I could use something that is easier to strap into my outdated TC chassis.
You notice the MAH much more when your running touring over VTA

5 mins into a race my 5000mah pack starts feeling flat because of reduced voltage where the new 6000mah packs dont start to fade til 7 or 8 mins. Since we run 5 mins at Lafayette it doesn't effect my race, but I know in practice how long I have been out :-)

That being said the ability to move the battery around can be a great help when you dont need the MAH. Its one of my favourite parts of the TC3, and why I like the design of the TC6 as well. Both have front and rear positions for the battery
LMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eds24 Send a message via Yahoo to eds24

I'm working on a conversion kit for the Tc6 for shorty lipos...I don't want to let too much out of the bag quiet yet.. but it'll have a center battery and motor and a secret drive line. It won't have 3 belts and that's all I can say!

I need to get to get it done before Associated or another company comes out with something... I'm not too concerned about associated since they like to keep the same cars out on the market for years and years before they make something new , but still...with this new lipo anything is possible...
eds24 is offline   Reply With Quote