R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Default Is smooth fastest at your local club, or aggressive?

By that, I meen do you find peoples racing/car setup more aggressive or smooth?

It's been commented on that my driving style/car set up appears to be more aggressive than smooth and thought i'd make a discussion from it.

I think a lot of the issue is more down to the fact that we race foam on carpet, so naturally there is a lot of grip which makes cars a lot more responsive than any other surface or tyre could.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Tech Master

Smooth is always faster, assuming your setup is not too bad.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Tech Elite

I find that when my I am comfortable with my car I can drive smoother than if I struggle to get around the track. The biggest compliment I can get is when someone tells me I "look slow" going around the track but my lap times are competitive.

For me, smoother is always faster even when club racing using 17.5 and no boost. The throttle control is taken out of the equation but corner entry and exit must still be smooth which with rubber tires can help keep the front tire wear to a minimum and reduce heat in the tires and reduce drop off on lap times.

Foam is different although I think you can still be smooth even though traction is ridiculously high. Even if being smooth does not reduce your lap time, it will likely improve your overall race time.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

In the shooting world the saying is "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast". It translates pretty well to racing of all forms.

That said, a lot depends on matching your setup to your driving style, and that depends on the track layout.

On a fast open layout, you might get away with a very aggressive late entry that lets you get back on throttle early and narrow off the corner to give you the most options for entry into the next corner. By contrast, on a technical layout, an aggressive entry too often means being off your timing for following corners, resulting in slower lap times.

I would say, on a whole, smoother driving results in lower laptimes due to fewer mistakes that result in corrections. The longer the steering is off-center, the more speed you scrub, so if you find yourself counter-steering or making a lot of steering corrections, you're probably leaving free speed off the timing chart.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I find that when my I am comfortable with my car I can drive smoother than if I struggle to get around the track. The biggest compliment I can get is when someone tells me I "look slow" going around the track but my lap times are competitive.

For me, smoother is always faster even when club racing using 17.5 and no boost. The throttle control is taken out of the equation but corner entry and exit must still be smooth which with rubber tires can help keep the front tire wear to a minimum and reduce heat in the tires and reduce drop off on lap times.

Foam is different although I think you can still be smooth even though traction is ridiculously high. Even if being smooth does not reduce your lap time, it will likely improve your overall race time.
After seeing you drive at the nats I aspire to drive like that.

I know you didnt win but your driving inspired me to change my style of driving even after all these years.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The thing is that to be fast you need to hit the race lines the same way every lap and you have to be driving smoothly to achieve that while at the same time driving as aggresively as possible while still being smooth.

We measured the centerline of a 60'x40' offroad track, and then measured the race line hugging the pipe through the turns and there was a 50' difference I belive. Thats massive for a little track, imagine what the difference could be at your local track. Thats why driving smooth is so much faster than driving fast though, if you hit those lines perfectly you shorten the track significantly and speed isn't needed as much as it is in the longer track
LMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I got out of another hobby (Golf) to get into RC racing. In golf the mantra was to 'Try not to try' and 'Think about not thinking too much'. In RC racing slow is fast. I'm a glutton for punishment.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

The two fastest guys at my local club have entirely different driving styles in my eyes, one is the smooth is fast kind of driver while the other is what I call the agressive type. Both have cars that are set up entirely different, to match their styles, and who wins changes from week to week. Same with full size racing, you seldom see drivers with the exact same set up. Find what works for you and stick to it, being something you're not never seems to work out.
NoRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Both driving styles are necessary for you to master!!! You decide when being aggressive is in your best interest, but in general smooth is faster, unless you want to follow others with their "you changed me stories": this is racing not Oprah...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Both driving styles are necessary for you to master!!! You decide when being aggressive is in your best interest, but in general smooth is faster, unless you want to follow others with their "you changed me stories": this is racing not Oprah...
I wish this forum had an ignore function.

I was giving one of the greatest most influential names in RC a compliment. Something you should learn to do

Who are you and why do you always sound so stupid??

You talk so much smack for someone that obviously has no idea what they are talking about in any aspect of life or rc.

Yes I'm laughing at you.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick

Last edited by L.Fairtrace; 10-19-2011 at 01:02 PM.
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
I wish this forum had an ignore function.

Who are you and why do you always sound so stupid??

You talk so much smack for someone that obviously has no idea what they are talking about in any aspect of life or rc.

Yes I'm laughing at you.
Believe you me, MANY people feel the very same way. There is an ignore function, accessed from your user cp.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Click "User CP" >> Click "Edit Ignore List" >> Enter member's forum name >> Click "Okay" button
Old 10-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Next time you might try Google Translate http://translate.google.com/ I heard it works pretty good.
NoRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

he is still on my ignore list

biggest mouth on this forum and says nothing ............
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.C View Post
Click "User CP" >> Click "Edit Ignore List" >> Enter member's forum name >> Click "Okay" button
Done, and done.
Thank You.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote